First Open Headphones Advice
Mar 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Venner

New Head-Fier
Hey all. I know there's a lot of threads like this, but since I've never even considered a pair of open cans, I could use a good starting point.

For me, headphones are mostly about (1) isolation -- completely separating myself from the outside world -- and (2) not annoying the tar out of those around me. Thus, I love circumaural closed sets. (Also, I don't like on-ear phones and can't tolerate in-ear or ear-canal phones.)

My Sennheiser HD280s have served me admirably for 7 years, especially in loud places like airplanes, and although they've cracked and shed small pieces of plastic for years, they've never outright failed on me. However, now the cord is starting to go. I thought about just getting another set, but then thought instead about moving my Beyerdynamic DT 770-80s from home to roving duty (possibly with a portable amp.)

Now I'm interested in getting a pair of open phones for home & PC use, to see what kind of difference such cans make, especially in soundstage; I just have no idea what models to look at, what's comparable, what's better at the ~$100-200 price-point, etc.
I have a very neutral headphone amp at home and primarily listen to jazz, folk/world, classical, and rock/alt.
I live waaaaay out in the boonies, so will likely make a blind buy (preferably from Amazon.)
I have a pretty large melon, say 7 3/4 hat size.

Suggestions very welcome to begin my research.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 8
Heya,

At your price point, not much is going to top that DT770 you have. I would just save up for a serious purchase. Or perhaps re-consider what you're going for.

Suggestions:

AKG Q701
Beyer DT880
Sennheiser HD600
Ultrasone PRO 2500
Fischer Audio FA-002
AudioTechnica AD900
Hifiman HE-400

Denon D2000
AKG K550
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA-003)
AudioTechnica A900X

Very best,

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 8
/\ I recommend on the Beyers too,i recently brought a used Dt990 250 in very good condition from an head-fier,and like somebody said on a Dt forum -"they have an insane bass for a open headphone"-,should be ZombieX,and i agree.
Anyway,it really depends on a matter of preference,and the 990 play most of your preferences,good all rounder.
tell us what you choose.salute

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Well, wouldn't you know it, after far too much waffling, looking for deals, etc, I eventually went in another direction and took a chance on another set of closed headphones from a manufacturer I'd never listened to before.  The Shure SRH940.

I wrote up my impressions here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-940/reviews/6647

Overall, pretty impressed. I'd still like to try an open set of cans in the future -- probably the Beyer 990s or a Dennon -- but for now, these are good.
Thanks all.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Well, wouldn't you know it, after far too much waffling, looking for deals, etc, I eventually went in another direction and took a chance on another set of closed headphones from a manufacturer I'd never listened to before.  The Shure SRH940.

I wrote up my impressions here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-940/reviews/6647

Overall, pretty impressed. I'd still like to try an open set of cans in the future -- probably the Beyer 990s or a Dennon -- but for now, these are good.
Thanks all.

where did you get the shure srh940 for $150? 

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Heya,

At your price point, not much is going to top that DT770 you have. I would just save up for a serious purchase. Or perhaps re-consider what you're going for.

Suggestions:

AKG Q701
Beyer DT880
Sennheiser HD600
Ultrasone PRO 2500
Fischer Audio FA-002
AudioTechnica AD900
Hifiman HE-400

Denon D2000
AKG K550
Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA-003)
AudioTechnica A900X

Very best,

I will add that while the Beyer DT 880 is an excellent can, it might be too small for a large head (and ears).  It's smaller than the DT 770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back