First nice set for $500 or less (looking for good bang for the buck):
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #31 of 39
Thnx Hans.  After reading the first couple pages of the MadDog thread it's difficult NOT to want them.  A few people even selling off their HD-650 and HE-500s...     Hmmmmmm   need to read more, but I wonder if it might make sense to get a set of T50RP and have a go at DIY mods....   probably better to let a pro do it no?

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #32 of 39
It depends. On one hand, you know you're getting a solid product with something like the Mad Dog. You don't have to worry about endlessly tweaking mods to get things to sound right. It's just good to go out of the box. Same with the Paradox, which is pricier (but also great, though I think the MD is a better value).

However, you can save a significant amount of money by going the DIY route, and even simple mods will get you quite far with the T50RP. Can you get it to the same level as the Mad Dog? Absolutely, but it will take a lot of work (made easier by the plethora of information on modding the T50RP...and I can offer personal tips over IM).

I used to mod my own T50RP, but I could never get it quite right myself even after dumping hours and hours into it. With the MD 3.2, I didn't have to worry about that at all. Not to mention it uses custom designed pads, and Dan did have the tools to measure and tweak the headphone until he got it where he liked it (and it's in a really good state right now with 3.2).

Again, though, Dan/MrSpeakers has a great return policy and great customer service in general. If you don't like it, send it back within 15 days. There's very little risk trying out the Mad Dog. Hopefully you have good gear to test it out with first if so. :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:
Thnx Hans.  After reading the first couple pages of the MadDog thread it's difficult NOT to want them.  A few people even selling off their HD-650 and HE-500s...     Hmmmmmm   need to read more, but I wonder if it might make sense to get a set of T50RP and have a go at DIY mods....   probably better to let a pro do it no?

The Mad Dogs are pretty good cans, if you like darker music and emphasis on the lower mids  n bass [and I mean emphasis as in forward, the MDs are very clean] then they are one of my favorite T50RP modded cans, and they come in at $300 

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #34 of 39
Cool, thanks you guys...  the Mad Dogs are my front runners now.  Still have a bit of reading to do, but sounds like they would be worth a try 

Aug 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #35 of 39
Aug 8, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #36 of 39
I'll make it worse for you :wink:

Check out the thread on the ZMF modded Fostex which some people are liking better than the Mad Dogs. And hurry. They are on sale through tomorrow sometime for $175 shipped.

Given that there are several measurements around for the Mad Dog, Paradox, and even the DIY BMF mods, I would feel much safer going with a known/proven great product until we can get some more objectivity around this particular mod. I don't really trust random T50RP mods anymore because you can really mess them up, and the amount of research and QC behind the Mad Dog or Paradox are pretty darn good. Plus, at that price, you might as well just go the DIY route and save that extra last bit of cash. The guy is probably doing nothing that hasn't already been publicly discussed.

Plus MrSpeakers has a full blown business behind this, so I'd imagine he would be able to offer better customer service. Also, his custom pads are the best I've used on the T50RP yet, and he's got the sound nailed down. Each unit is tested to make sure it meets the sound specs, as there is variation between individually T50RP units (verified by both MrSpeakers/Dan, LFF, purrin, etc.).

If you're going to go with a less proven route, just save the cash and DIY. Otherwise I'd stick with the Mad Dog (I never had luck getting my T50RP mods to sound as good as the MD).

That's just my opinion, though, and I could be entirely wrong about this ZMF mod. I have become highly wary of most subjective impressions over the years, and audio stuff isn't cheap. I try to make safe purchases with objective and subjective impressions (from people I trust) to lessen the risk of purchasing a product I end up not liking, even if this costs me more in the end.

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #37 of 39
That's just my opinion, though, and I could be entirely wrong about this ZMF mod. I have become highly wary of most subjective impressions over the years, and audio stuff isn't cheap.

And yet, how they sound is most important, and that's a subjective impression. At $175 shipped, that's not that much over the actual price of the unmodded versions compared to much more expensive Mad Dogs.

Aug 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #38 of 39
Do you guys have any options about MadDogs balanced vs. normal?  ...and any crazy good synergy going on with a specific amp (portable and/or desktop)?

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:
Given that there are several measurements around for the Mad Dog, Paradox, and even the DIY BMF mods, I would feel much safer going with a known/proven great product until we can get some more objectivity around this particular mod. I don't really trust random T50RP mods anymore because you can really mess them up, and the amount of research and QC behind the Mad Dog or Paradox are pretty darn good. Plus, at that price, you might as well just go the DIY route and save that extra last bit of cash. The guy is probably doing nothing that hasn't already been publicly discussed.

Plus MrSpeakers has a full blown business behind this, so I'd imagine he would be able to offer better customer service. Also, his custom pads are the best I've used on the T50RP yet, and he's got the sound nailed down. Each unit is tested to make sure it meets the sound specs, as there is variation between individually T50RP units (verified by both MrSpeakers/Dan, LFF, purrin, etc.).

If you're going to go with a less proven route, just save the cash and DIY. Otherwise I'd stick with the Mad Dog (I never had luck getting my T50RP mods to sound as good as the MD).

That's just my opinion, though, and I could be entirely wrong about this ZMF mod. I have become highly wary of most subjective impressions over the years, and audio stuff isn't cheap. I try to make safe purchases with objective and subjective impressions (from people I trust) to lessen the risk of purchasing a product I end up not liking, even if this costs me more in the end.

Indeed, Dan's Customer Service is some of the best! He and JDS labs are my favotire companies to bother xD but they are always great about answering questions! And answering them fast! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back