first new headphones in over a decade . help me decide ....
Apr 15, 2015 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

JeffB1961

Previously known as BOOTYMONSTER
i'm 53 and want a decent set of headphones to replace my old sennheiser HD 555's that finally had a driver die . i've enjoyed them for many years but i think i'd like something with a little more sparkle/sheen to the very high end and a little tighter/cleaner low bass/sub-bass , but i don't want to be lacking full deep base . honestly , i'd probably be OK with a small midrange dip , but i want it to stay clean during loud music and action scenes in movies . i'll use these for music and movie/theater watching at home mostly and occasionally on the smartphone (just got my first one last week) . having a mic is not a absolute necessity but would be real nice . been doing a little online research and increased my original budget from $50-$60 to $100ish absolute max and want to stick with something i can order from amazon prime or pick up something from a local brick and mortar store . these look to be good option being on the outside looking in , but i'd appreciate you folks opinion on their pros and cons with each other , and i'm open to suggestions in my $100 and under range .

Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKPXU9A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sennheiser HD 558 (no mic)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FEEY9A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

i'm now also considering going a little over budget and getting the sennheiser 598 ....

i'm slightly concerned about being so used to the open air 555's sound and going to a closed cup design . i tried buds and don't like the feel in my ears or hearing myself breath so buds/in-ears are a no-go . and i've preferred over ear designs to on ears in the past ..... but things may be different now between my ears and what's available these days . i think i'll go by best buy tonight and try some on ........

what are y'alls thoughts/experiences with my choices above ? any i should weed out or focus on ? and do you have any different suggestions ?
thanks , Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back