First Mid-Fi buy
Nov 14, 2016 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Zaluma

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my primary listening cans (Senn HD 558).

Budget is around $200 (new or used) but I am open to expanding that if advice says it's really worth it.

I tried to get in on the HD 6xx drop so I'm considering the HD 600/650 but am also looking at the Hifiman HE 400s.

On the next step up, I am considering the HD 700 and Hifiman HE 400i.

Use will be split between music (I mainly listen to classic rock and metal, folk, jazz, acoustic, soundtrack, and classical).

I like a nice natural sound, well-controlled bass (not boomy), smooth mids (electric guitars and female vox are 2 of my favorite things) and a little sparkle up top is good. I'm not particularly treble sensitive. Sound stage is also important to me but it needs to sound natural. I will be wearing these for periods of 2+ hours so comfort is also important.

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 2
A lot of people were really excited about the Massdrop HD6xx. I'm sure they will do another one soon. Also after the first batch is delivered, keep your eyes open for used ones popping up for sale. Make sure you do some research on the HD700, and listen to them first before you get them. There is a lot of hate for this one. Going the Planar magnetic route with the Hifiman would suit your taste in music though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back