First look at the Aedle VK-1 Headphones
Nov 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

acgears

Member of the Trade: AC Gears
I would have to say that we have a pretty darn good line up of headphones at our store and honestly we really should voice our opinion on them, especially the new, the not yet released ones, even just as a teaser.  We sometimes get to experience them even before all the tech blogs do, because we are in the business to sell good electronics.  So today we got lucky.

A few hours ago Raphael the CEO from Aedle Paris dropped by our store.  Thanks to a good friend of the store (a hidden shout out here) that referred him to us we were able to test it out first hand.  

And truth be told a product like the Aedle VK-1 should receive a nice teaser post.  Raphael and his team put a lot of thoughts and work into this product.

I didn't take too many pictures, unfortunately, as we were mostly discussing other matters.  But with the brief demo that I had directly from my iPhone 5s' output, I would have to say the sound is good.  Just being "good" is not exactly a spetacular adjective to many. But in our trade, it is difficult to just simply be, "good."  The sound is fairly balance, the sound stage is right there, not too wide, not too narrow.  The bass is there, certainly not exaggerated without any EQ.  And the trebles is present, I can hear everything, but I sort of don't notice it either.  

It is like a Grado signature of balance and sound stage plus a tad bit of warmth from my personal favorite Audio-Technica.  

I literally listened to the headphones for about 1 minute and have already decided that AC Gears will be carrying it.  The product is just so damn well made.  The box is heavy like buying a Breguet.  While the box is not wooden, you know you are holding something of high value.  The kind that you know really is top notch French packaging (not confirmed that the packaging is from France).  The craftsmanship of the headphones, just by the look and touch of it, since we have not used it extensively, is something that we expect to be made in 2013, in a 90's movie.  Future-retro, but just beautifully made.  It's a piece of industrial design that should be owned.  And for the price tag of around $500, as a design object it is already worth the price.

Overall, the design is beautiful and we welcome the renaissance of industrial design in electronics/tech gear.  Sound wise it is not as mind blowing as a HiFiMAN or true to the original like Grado, but it has a "nice" character.  Like taking a nice walk in Paris without the tourists, or the hustling and bustling around you - just listening to your music --- and then realizing that you have a piece of industrial masterpiece on the top of your head.  We look forward to seeing it in the United States.

Kohn
AC Gears / AudioCubes

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 5
are these the same phone in two different finishes?  how much are they?   when will they be available?

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 5
US pricing has not been officially set yet but it's going to be in the $400's.  The black version is a limited edition carbon finish.  Raphael is heading to a Head-fi meet today so if you are around the NYC area you will be able to give it a listen.  No official release date discussed yet due to very limited production capacity (they are hand assembled for quality control in Brittany France) but should be soon within a month or two.

Kohn
AC Gears / AudioCubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back