First listen to New Shure SE Series
Mar 16, 2007 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
I've had the nasty job of having to spend the last few days mashing earwax while evaluating Shure's new ES line. Thankfully that was the only distastfull experience in the in the work.

First I tried the ~$150 ES-210. Solid. Nice and neutral. Good punch and snap. Warm vocals. No snarling cymbals. Sweet! I'll take a pair.

Smearwax.
blink.gif

ES-310; about a centebuck more. Smaller...real small, in fact. Snuggles nicely in the ear. Solid. Nice and neutral. Good punch and snap. Warm vocals. No snarling cymbals. These sound the same...but better. Smoother. Lusher. Niiiiice! I wonder what another hundred buys me.

Smearwax.
blink.gif

ES-420. The number will be popular with the tie dye team. Oh well, here we go. Solid. Nice and neutral. Good punch and snap. Warm vocals. No snarling cymbals. Holy smoke! These things are designed to within a nose hair of each other. But wait; bigger sound; silky cymbles; textured bass. Man! They all sound identical, right down the middle, but each one sounds better than the next. I better stick in the ES530 (same as the 500 without the PTH) and see how close we've come to this top line performer.

Smearwax.
blink.gif

Yeah, baby. Same deal: Solid. Nice and neutral. Good punch and snap. Warm vocals.Big articulate bottom. Silky cymbals. Air. PRAT. Yup, last stop on the Shure train and we're hanging in UE10 country.

I couldn't believe my ears. I was hearing the finest line of headphone products I've ever heard. I know how hard it is to build a line of product and make them fit together and have sensable price points and performance at price. From $150 to $500 in four beautifully measured step. Each one a powerful punch in its price range. Man, I wish I had their resources!

So, I called Sugarfried and congratulated him on the fine work he and his colleages had done. I remarked how I had never heard a line-up of headphone sounded the same but better at each step. And I told him I couldn't wait to measure them because it sounded to me like he had a series of cans that were so well engineered that I though the graph data was just going to lay on top of each other. He may have been blushing at this point as the praise was rather embarrassing.

We did the measurements today, guess what. They did lay on top of each other ... well sort of. The frequence response was quite similar one to the next. The distortion data showed that the 210 had the most; the 310 showed slightly less, but the even harmonics had grown slightly stronger than the odd---a very good thing. Then the 420 had quite a bit lower distortion, but the evens were yet again up over the odds and the second harmonic was virtually the same hight as the third. A-friggen-mazing! (I didn't pull up the E500 graph as the machine we were looking at didn't have the data in it.

Men, if you haven't broken down to pair up with some IEMs, your time may have arrived.

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 52
Hrm, you are making it sound like I should have waited for Shures and Westones to finally unleash their toys upon the world. Just how much better is the budget side of the Shure line than the e3c/e4c?

Put up the measurements
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 52
Man! Posts really trundle off to page four in a hurry these days! Just a little bump here to try to get the word out on these just released cans. They should be showing up in stores now.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 52
Well, at least it looks like the timing is right for me to buy a new pair of IEMs. I'm still going to be waiting to see what Westone and probably then wait some more before I finally decide, though that is a pretty glowing review of the new lineup.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Men, if you haven't broken down to pair up with some IEMs, your time may have arrived.

When will the Ladies versions be released?
icon10.gif

How do they compare to the "old" versions (E3/E4/E5)?

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 52
I'm also wondering how the first two, the 210 and the 310, compare to the E2C and E3C. They are the corresponding models of each other, and I'm just hoping that whatever changes that Shure made to them finally make them worth buying. Both the E2 and E3 models have never been really popular around here...

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both the E2 and E3 models have never been really popular around here...

True. It's been either the E4C or E500 that are always recommended on the Shure line.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 52
Actually, the E3 was very popular back when I first joined. I think that was before the E4 was released. Back then, it was either the E3c or ER6i.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 52
These are clearly not replacements but rather a new stab at filling up the space between $150 and $550. Here at HeadRoom we think the E2G is pretty good (aside from fit issues). I'd say the whole lineup has better tonal balance than anything previous. I didn't do any direct comparisons, but I think the choice will be clear for the new line-up; with the exception of the current significantly lowing prices on the older stuff making an E4 probably worth getting over the ES210 (but if you can pop for the ES310 you should), and the ES530 being the same as the E500 means it's silly to do anything but just go for the lowest price which will probably be on hte E500. The ES420, it seems to me, is a can that bridges the $250-$500 gap.

And sorry ladies, I really didn't mean to leave you out; just a turn of phrase. Anyway I think the Ladies will love the new ES310 as its visual daintiness belies the full-blown perfomance within.

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the ETA on these bad boys? Was just considering some IEMs today. But I can exercise that patience stuff if I have to ...

Should be any day now. I think we even have some of them in stock, we just haven't turned them on on the web-site yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back