First Laptop ext. soundcard (Philps or Zalman)
Apr 5, 2005 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tohex

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Currently i am using my laptop headphone socket..and it sucks (surprise surprise)...so i'm going to be buying some md-33s and maybe some full cans down the track, but probably nothing really really expensive, not for a long time.

So bascially i want a cheap external sound-card. I've looked into guzzler's USB DAC but getting all the parts and the PCB out here to Australia will cost me a fair bit, and combined with my soldering skills (SMD stuff anyway)....i'd say i'd be safer going this way. I've found both the Zalman-RSSC and the Philips PSC805 Aurilium on Ebay...in australia. The zalman is going for more, but both have 24bit/96khz...just wondering whos tried what and what are the other benefits of the zalman, if any.

Thanks for your help,

Alucrep
orphsmile.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 5
Anyone...i think i'm going to be going with the Philips...hiss drives me crazy from the headphone out..so that is hte main problem....i guess i could upgrade later if i become a big audiophile :p

Apr 6, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by alucrep
Anyone...i think i'm going to be going with the Philips...hiss drives me crazy from the headphone out..so that is hte main problem....i guess i could upgrade later if i become a big audiophile :p

You can't go wrong with the Philips Aurilium.
Use Foobar2000 directsound with "Philips PSC805" device, it simply sound great.

Apr 6, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 5
Would i have to run a headphone amp after this even to power say Sharp MD33 earbuds? or does it have an external power thing (i.e. not solely USB powered)....or use an amp anyway? I dont mind in any event...just not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back