First iPod Touch Review
Sep 14, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder why apple don't make this device a hard drive based... i think a 160gb ipod touch would be much better... i, for one, won't buy the touch just for music, but for video...

i guess its a matter of logistics and practicality, they will get there in the end...

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A hard drive is much bigger than the FLASH drive

80GB Classic is only 2.5mm thicker and 6.5mm shorter than the Touch? 103.5 x 61.8 x 10.5 vs 110 x 61.8 x 8?

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #33 of 41
look at the Sony NW-HD5, its about the size of an ipod mini and had 20gb, toshiba has a 40gb drive 1.8" drive, that would fit nicly,

the problem is that hard drives require more power then flash memory for read/write operations,

what really disapointed me about the touch is that i was expecting an iphone without the GSM module, basicly a music oriented PDA, a newton succesor, the problem is that apple limited the usfullness of installed aplications and the ability to add more aplications to avoid people buying a touch insted of a iphone, which is weird, becuase the lack of a GSM module should make the touch cheaper to manufacture for apple, and the price differance is only 100$,

personaly, i hope this pushes cowon to make the X7 bascily a smaller Q5,
for those who dont know the Q5, its basicly a music oriented Windows pocket pc with bluetooth and wifi, toss in a 20gb or 30gb drive, you have a Q5,
the problem is the high price (around $600) and that its a bit chunky,

theres also the archos 605 wifi, but the battery life, the closed system (they charge for you the web browser, how dirty is that) and the lack of application support also turn you quite off,

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #34 of 41
looks like all the new ipods require the use of itunes exclusively to transfer music too.. bleh.

still, look how shiny they are
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I'll have a 160gb classic for my music collection, and the Touch will be something that goes to the gym to watch tv and movies on, as I feel the screen is large enough that I could actually enjoy those on there (the 2.5" iPod Classic screen doesn't do it for me in situations like that).

Do you go to the gym for workout or to watch TV?
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you go to the gym for workout or to watch TV?
blink.gif

Both. It's called multitasking
wink.gif
Basically I'm thinking some 24 or some Heroes will help pass the time on cardio much more quickly
wink.gif
I don't really have time to watch TV any other time-- I'd rather not sit on the couch to watch it.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like all the new ipods require the use of itunes exclusively to transfer music too.. bleh.

still, look how shiny they are
smily_headphones1.gif

I still don't know what people have against iTunes; it's easy to use and does everything you could wish for, also it's relatively fast.
basshead.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlandos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't know what people have against iTunes; it's easy to use and does everything you could wish for, also it's relatively fast.
basshead.gif

Because I use foobar, which has a totally user-configurable UI. I have it all set up perfectly with many plugins etc. I don't want some bloatware like iTunes (mandatory installation of Quicktime? Give me a break, that horrible turd of software alone is reason enough not to install iTunes. I have VLC Player, thank you very much...) hogging up my laptop...

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder why apple don't make this device a hard drive based... i think a 160gb ipod touch would be much better... i, for one, won't buy the touch just for music, but for video...

Check the tear down of the unit, http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod/iPod-Touch/130

There is no space!! its almost all battery. The Flash is postage stamp sized and stacked on top of each other, it sits along with all the logic for the unit. Just from looks alone I can tell that the multi-touch screen, wifi and beefier CPU are using up all that battery and there is no power left over from spinning platter storage.

I've also seen the complaint about lack of tactile feedback, that you can't do simple things without taking the unit out of your pocket. I want to take it out of my pocket to show off to everyone, especially on F train in NYC at 11PM
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #41 of 41
I like having all of my collection with me. I get bored listening to the same songs over and over. Having them all with me makes selection a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back