First impressions on the Meridian 588 CDP
Jan 11, 2003 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

arnaud

Stax and Sushi
Czilla9000 was recently considering the Arcam FMJ-23 as CD player in the $2,000 price range. I have a newly acquired alternative candidate. It is a Meridian 588 CD player I recently purchased as second-hand product. I use it with a Corda PreHead, Outlaw interconnects, and stock Sennheiser HD600 and below is a list of my highly subjective impressions.

Well, I have unfortunately not heard the Arcam FMJ-23 so I can't make comparisons. However, I did compare the Arcam CD-62T to CD-92T, to Rega Planet 2000, to Myriad MCD600. For the comparisons, I was using the clones of the same recording, 1 per machine (comparing 3 machines at a time). The 3 CDP would be hooked up to the Corda headphone amp/pre-amp. Then, I could switch between sources that were spinning the disc synchronously. That is a nice test because you don't relie on your memory at all.
My conclusions were:
- Myriad MCD600 ($2,000?): out. I might even prefer the CD62. The bass was just not articulate and the soundstage a little of a joke.
- Arcam CD62T ($600?): a little thin, quite bright, loosing clarity with large ensembles. It was just like a sales guy yelling at you in hope hope you get the message better...
- Arcam CD92T ($1,800): a whole different story. Bass much more firm than 62. Highs not harsh sounding. Much more micro-detail. The voice now sounded soo real, warm, with lots of body.
- Rega Planet 2000 ($1,000?): don't know what to say. I loved it's laid back behavior. Never at fault really. He was just not bragging like the other players. To compare to the sales guy again: this one had cought a cold I think. I was really not impressed with the resolution. I loved the bass though, maybe even more than Arcams. The soundstage was quite good too I think. But overall, this sounded too coloured with my rig, and just not detailed enough. Too polite!

At that end of these comparisons, two things. Well, one, my ears were fried. Two, I was considering an Arcam FMJ-23 (used for $1,500, new for $2,500?), based on the improvement noticed from CD-62T to CD-92T models. I had also read here that the FMJ-23 was way better than the lower end Arcam players.
Then, I saw this ad on Audiogon for a Meridian 588. This guy retails for $4,000 new, but I could get it for $2,100. I was not going to buy something I never heard, so I took the opportunity to drive to the seller since it was manageable. And, well, although I could not compare to the previous bunch of CD players tested a week before, I had no trouble to convince myself this was not the same league...

I bought the Meridian 588 for $2,100 very recently. Since then, I have been say, quite happy... What I mean there is that this this machine, although it looks really cool, is not an eye-catcher (shall I say ear-catcher). It won't blow you off unless you listen to an hyper dynamic classical recording. For such test, I've got the Symphonie no5 from Malher (conductor is Chailly - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra) that is very tough test for the electronics (and transducers actually). Typically, everything falls apart during the fortissimo. However, if you've read my post on the Prehead, you may remember that this headphone amp does not lack juice when you ask him to reproduce a full bloom orchestra. And the Meridian did not make it easy for the Corda... The source is no less authoritative than the amp!!! Anyway, apart for this kind of special recordings where the Meridian is simply doing what one is asking, i.e waking you up, the general trend is a very subtil, fluid, non-agressive while very detailed sound.

You can guess that the Meridian manages to read every tiny bit of info on the CD because the spatial and reverberation clues as well as instruments timbre are soo stunning. It's like the whole atmosphere is palpable, you hear every last bit of reverberation, and instrument harmonics. I already had such impressions when testing the Corda-Prehead / Sennheiser HD600 combo with a crap CD player. But now, this is just palpable, life-like. The piano sounds like it is in my bedroom!!! Of course the bass is now much more firm and detailed, which is the least you could expect at that price
wink.gif

One thing I like is that you can spatially pinpoint any instrument you like (left /right as well as depth which is something I did not experience much in the past), and focus without any effort on it's share in the overall picture. But my most common reaction is to fall in the chair (well, on the bed actually cause I ain't got no good listening chair in my bedroom yet!), fix the ceiling (I am laying down
wink.gif
), and just forget about audio... Music is all that matters then. Isn't that the audiophile dream? Well, to me it is!!!

To conclude on the Meridian 588, I would say that, for my quite revealing rig (PreHead with the HD600), this is an absolute winner. There is enough detail to make you dig into each recording for ever. But there is no sign at all of digital harshness. This is the player that will make you forget about any high resolution format for years to come I believe...

Arnaud.

Jan 11, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 6
Nice review and comments. Sounds like you are a deservedly happy boy. Also sounds like you are in the market for some Cardas cables for your HD600s. If you like your HD600s now, you are really going to be impressed with the Cardas upgrade and you've got the source to hear all of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 6
Welcome to the Meri family.
smily_headphones1.gif
I suspect your player is noticeably better than my older 508.20 (ca. 1996) but I just love the smooth and natural sound I get from mine. Maybe some day I'll hear one of the newer models!

Jan 15, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 6
A few of us got to hear the Meridian 588 with the Max and BlockHead at this summer's World of Headphones tour. I considered buying a 588 myself--believe me.

The Corda Prehead with Meridian 588 is a really awesome combination that I'd love to hear for myself.

Jan 15, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 6
Sounds like you're really enjoying your new toy! I heard the meridian 588 at the WOH during the summer. If I could, I would.
frown.gif
The player enchants me with its incredible detail. Congrats!

Jan 15, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 6
Group reply...

Old Pa, I am definitely following your advice, although I am currently biased toward the equinox simply because I feel I have enough treble information and many of my CDs are far from good recordings... Which is a pity with such system!!! Well, I have not browsed the Music section of this forum. Maybe that's a good place to start!

DanG, I am not so sure differences will be that obvious with your player. You may not need to upgrade that soon! The good thing is that those machines seem to have a great resell value.

Kelly, I also believe the revealing PreHead fits the detailed but smooth Meridian. Now, with the stock HD600, I can't say the sound is ever harsh. However, it can be a little tiring with some CDs. Nothing to compare with a bragging CD player, but somewhat on the edge. I think I am looking for very warm sound so the updgraditis to an Equinox cable is on its way...

andrzejpw, look for it on audiogon. I think some people even prefer the older, cheaper, 508-24 model. Also, the 508-20 should be worth a listen too and I'd be even cheaper. In the end, you can get Meridian sound at all prices on Audiogon!!!

Otherwise, you'll all think I am showing off but here are some weird thing I have repetidly noticed:
1. I need not only to leave the system in standby but ALSO play music for about half hour for the sound to become really smooth.
2. The absolute phase setting on the Meridian (tricky to activate: function + record on the remote I have) DOES impact the sound noticeably!!! I used to think this absolute-phase thing is rubbish. I now have to admit that, for one of the polarities, the drums impacts are much more firm!!! The only physical explenation I can think of is that the diaphgram drives the acoustic space more efficiently when it generates an impulsive sound by moving forward (which will only happen if none of the components are inverting the absolute phase) rather than backward. When thinking harmonic sound, this whole idea falls apart. But, for any transient sound, it could make sense no?

Anyway, either I am going completely nuts, or many details matter...

Arnaud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back