First impressions of the IE8
Jan 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Mors

100+ Head-Fier
I'm gonna upset someone here
confused_face.gif

I'm not 'that' impressed.

Let me qualify that, they are a massive improvement over my E4G's, but, at the moment, I think my 530's edge them. To my ears anyway.
I think 3 things may be impacting this though:

1. They've had about 2hrs of use so I'm sure they're not 'burned in' yet.

2. The fit is terrible (for me). I've only ever got a good seal off foamies and have quite a small ear canal - I've tried all the tips and tried wearing them upside down. Wearing them upside down with a silicone tip does give an excellent tight fit that is suction kept in, but when I press in further I can hear closer to what they 'should' sound like, so the fit obviously isn't right yet. And thye sit miles out of my ear.

3. I think they are going to take a lot of messing around with the bass port and the EQ on my D2 to get the sound right
frown.gif

I think these things do have a lot of potential, but whether I'll get it out of them, I don't know.
The E530's seemed to just 'work' straight out of the box, if you know what I mean? I guess it's like comparing an ipod to a D2 where a D2 is a tweakers dream, but I guess the ipod is just supposed to be right' straight off?

I ordered some earplugs and I think I'm going to try and make some customs tips for these, I really don't feel comfotable with any of the ones provided
frown.gif

I'm going to perservere, I hope/know they'll come good, all of you others can't be wrong.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 23
IMO it's pretty useless to post an early impression on IEM's that need 'atleast' 24 hours burn-in to get an idea of what they'll sound like when fully burned in... I think you'll get back on point 3 soon, Just give them some time!

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 23
play with them some more.
I got mine for 5 days.
but you will find what work for you.

maybe try comply.
I use dual-flange and wearing up side down. isolation is great as I almost hear no noise from the subway(metro) comparing to other iem i have.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 23
Jan 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure how much you have read about these, but I have to x2 what Blacksad said. From what others are saying, [size=large]these need 250 hours of burn in to reach their final sound signature.
[/size]
Here are some threads you can read so you know what to expect, some possible issues, solutions, and opinions on how they sound:

Brief opinions - Sennheiser IE8

[Senn IE8] Best graph evar!

Wearing Sennheiser IE8 Upside down = better isolation + fit!

Do the IE8 sound liek these...

That is just ridiculous, why sell a product to consumers that is not even going to deliver it's "advertised potential" out of the box? I know "Dynamic" drivers require "burn-in" because "the surround" of the diaphragm needs to be loosened up a bit since it flexes every time the diaphragm moves in and out. The manufacturers should pre-burn in their earphones to save us some type of burn in hassle when we get the earphones. People will complain and say "The earphones are no longer considered new if the drivers have been used before shipment" but it is pretty much the same concept when you set aside the earphones you bought for "250 hours" to burn it in with out once listening to them. This just makes me love BA transducers even more.....*Goes back to listening to his Shure SE530's
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna upset someone here
confused_face.gif

I'm not 'that' impressed.

Let me qualify that, they are a massive improvement over my E4G's, but, at the moment, I think my 530's edge them. To my ears anyway.
I think 3 things may be impacting this though:

1. They've had about 2hrs of use so I'm sure they're not 'burned in' yet.

2. The fit is terrible (for me). I've only ever got a good seal off foamies and have quite a small ear canal - I've tried all the tips and tried wearing them upside down. Wearing them upside down with a silicone tip does give an excellent tight fit that is suction kept in, but when I press in further I can hear closer to what they 'should' sound like, so the fit obviously isn't right yet. And thye sit miles out of my ear.

3. I think they are going to take a lot of messing around with the bass port and the EQ on my D2 to get the sound right
frown.gif

I think these things do have a lot of potential, but whether I'll get it out of them, I don't know.
The E530's seemed to just 'work' straight out of the box, if you know what I mean? I guess it's like comparing an ipod to a D2 where a D2 is a tweakers dream, but I guess the ipod is just supposed to be right' straight off?

I ordered some earplugs and I think I'm going to try and make some customs tips for these, I really don't feel comfotable with any of the ones provided
frown.gif

I'm going to perservere, I hope/know they'll come good, all of you others can't be wrong.

I think it's far too early to judge, they'll change even after a couple of hours. I didn't have a fit problem with mines, medium double flanges did the job. But even though I had a perfect and stable fit, isolation was dreadfull
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is just ridiculous, why sell a product to consumers that is not even going to deliver it's "advertised potential" out of the box?

I don't agree these phones need that much burn-in (250 hours) to deliver good sound. Perhaps the sound develops slightly over time, but I've burned in mine for about 10 hours, and they sound awesome.

IMHO, I think the sound quality varies very much by tip size, material, and ear size/characterisitcs. And I also think that, with IEM's, the SQ can vary for the same user with the same tips based on slight differences in placement when you put them in your ear. Some of the variances in sound due to factors such as this might even be mistaken for changes due to burn in. I think folks underestimate how different IEM's work from over-the-head phones.

As far as the OP goes, I think that most people will be able to find the right tips and placement that the IE8 will sound good to them -- they may prefer something else, as phones are a matter of personal preference -- but the phone will not sound bad for most people if they exercise some patience in getting the right tips and fit. (I keep going back and forth between the Senn foamies and the Comply tips and for now have settled on the Comply tip that I modified slightly by trimming.) There will probably be a few who can't get the right fit, now matter what they do, but I suspect these will be rare cases.

Anyway, I think the notion that these phones require hundreds of hours of burn in to sound good is just flat wrong. I would substitute "5-10 hours" for "250 hours" and "patience and tweaking" for "burn in."
regular_smile .gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 23
Got mine today and so far I much prefer them over my se530's, they remind me a portable version of my DT770Pro's.

Only thing I don't like are the ergonomics, their just plain awkward compared to other iems imo. Finally managed to get them to seal by using some cored out black olives.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 23
Everyone's ears are different. You possibly just may prefer the sound signature of your SE530s over the IE8.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Everything is subjective and if something doesn't sound right to you and you have tried different tips and IEM positioning and still are not satisfied then you probably have your answer. I am lucky that all the small tips that come with the IE8 work for me and for me it just boils down to preference. ATM I wear them with the small foam tips and cable down (I get a better seal with the IE8 cable down).

Although it is kinda crappy, it is true that the IE8 only improve over time (over alot of time at that) from just-out-of-the-box sound. I really do love my IE8 and have noticed its sound change over time. If you can afford it, just hold onto your IE8 for a bit longer and give them more of a chance I say.

PS. Nice name btw. I used to have an online gaming buddy that I played with for several years that used to go by Mors.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 23
First, let me clarify my post about 250 hours...I did not mean that they are unlistenable until 250 hours, but it has been reported that they keep changing until 250 hours. Now, i haven't received mine yet, but I have have experienced big differences in other phones up to 100 or so hours.

YMMV, as usually before any burn in, dynamic headphones sound bad to awful, and after 10 or so hours of burn in there can be a big improvement. It has been reported that there is a mid bass hump that goes away after over 100 (or is it 200) hours of burn in.

Different people with different equipment/ears/tip fit will hear it differently (as stated by PhilS).

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is just ridiculous, why sell a product to consumers that is not even going to deliver it's "advertised potential" out of the box? I know "Dynamic" drivers require "burn-in" because "the surround" of the diaphragm needs to be loosened up a bit since it flexes every time the diaphragm moves in and out. The manufacturers should pre-burn in their earphones to save us some type of burn in hassle when we get the earphones. People will complain and say "The earphones are no longer considered new if the drivers have been used before shipment" but it is pretty much the same concept when you set aside the earphones you bought for "250 hours" to burn it in with out once listening to them. This just makes me love BA transducers even more.....*Goes back to listening to his Shure SE530's
tongue.gif

For me, knowing that a headphone (or amp) needs to be burned in is just part of the product expectations. If a manufacturer needed to burn in every phone, I would assume the price would increase as they would need additional equipment, time, and possibly employees to perform this. I personally would rather do it myself. I figure I am going to have the IE8 for a long time, and I plan on burning it in for at least 100 hours before I seriously listen, but realize the sound will still keep changing for another 150 or so hours.

It could sound much better for you after 1 hour, 10, 100, never, only you will be able to make that determination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree these phones need that much burn-in (250 hours) to deliver good sound. Perhaps the sound develops slightly over time, but I've burned in mine for about 10 hours, and they sound awesome.

IMHO, I think the sound quality varies very much by tip size, material, and ear size/characterisitcs. And I also think that, with IEM's, the SQ can vary for the same user with the same tips based on slight differences in placement when you put them in your ear. Some of the variances in sound due to factors such as this might even be mistaken for changes due to burn in. I think folks underestimate how different IEM's work from over-the-head phones.

As far as the OP goes, I think that most people will be able to find the right tips and placement that the IE8 will sound good to them -- they may prefer something else, as phones are a matter of personal preference -- but the phone will not sound bad for most people if they exercise some patience in getting the right tips and fit. (I keep going back and forth between the Senn foamies and the Comply tips and for now have settled on the Comply tip that I modified slightly by trimming.) There will probably be a few who can't get the right fit, now matter what they do, but I suspect these will be rare cases.

Anyway, I think the notion that these phones require hundreds of hours of burn in to sound good is just flat wrong. I would substitute "5-10 hours" for "250 hours" and "patience and tweaking" for "burn in."
regular_smile .gif

Again, each person has their own personal preference and how tolerable the sound will be after XX hours will be different for everyone. I think there is no one set burn in time for everyone, but hopefully the people that bought them will at some point in time find them enjoyable
icon10.gif

I also wanted to throw out there that while I don't yet have possession of the IE8s, I have read every thread in it's entirety on these, and the OP has some questions that make me wonder if they have done the same. I was trying to summarize from what I have have read, but reading the many many many posts from actual users is the best way to get info that may help you.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 23
I found there was noticeable improvement after 10 hours, the sound losing a lot of the murkiness when new. Through 100 hours, the upper frequency detail and extension continued to improve while the bass became better defined; through 200 hours, the changes were subtle.

Regarding the tips, I ended up liking the Comply T-400s the best. I got a good seal with the included silicons, double flanges and foams, but I liked the sound better with the Complys and there was no comparison in regards to comfort. This was with wearing them correctly, the cables looping over the ears. Wearing them "upside down" worked as well but due to the design, the plastic housing stuck out at an angle making it uncomfortable when lying on your side. Worn properly, these are the best falling asleep to music phones I've ever owned. Also, I have probably 500 hours on my Complys with little evidence of wear. I believe the whole issue of them wearing out too quickly is overblown; either that or Comply has improved their tips over time and those with past wear issues were using older versions. Three pair for $15 shipped at Amazon, enough to last 6 months at least and maybe up to a year. And yes, they can be cleaned!

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwbrent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found there was noticeable improvement after 10 hours, the sound losing a lot of the murkiness when new. Through 100 hours, the upper frequency detail and extension continued to improve while the bass became better defined; through 200 hours, the changes were subtle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no difference in the sound of the 8's whether it's out the box or after a month,they sound the same.
The only time the sound changes is when you use different tips.

There you have it, does that answer the burn in question or what?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no difference in the sound of the 8's whether it's out the box or after a month,they sound the same.
The only time the sound changes is when you use different tips.

Thank you, God. While we're chatting, can you tell me where I left my baseball bat when I was in the seventh grade?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back