First Impressions of Stefan AudioArt Equinox HD-580/600 Cable
Feb 4, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 32
Any news Jude? (Bumping this up....)

Feb 5, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 32
Here are my sonic first impressions of the Stefan AudioArt Equinox, with some comments on how it compares (to my ears) to its Cardas contemporary:

The Equinox has a very full-bodied sound, with subjectively deeper bass, and greater control in the lower octaves than the stock cable.

Treble extension doesn't seem improved, but refinement of it is evident (and, to my ears, the HD-600 was refined in the treble in stock mode). That is, triangles ring clearer, cymbals hold on to their shimmer better with the Equinoxes (versus the stock cable). Though a fine treble performance with the Equinox, I was hoping for maybe a little more extension, especially since I often listen to my HeadRoom Max in crossfeed-on/filter-off mode, which smooths the high treble a bit.

The crucial midrange region improvement is immediately apparent, with the Equinox-equipped HD-600's rendering all human voices I've pushed through them with a greater sense of immediacy and honesty than with the stock cable. Patricia Barber's voice, singing "Invitation" (on her Nightclub album), has slightly more body than with the stock cable, giving me that "any closer and I'll feel her breathing in my ear" feeling.

Soundstaging is a definite Equinox strength. Stefan AudioArt brags about this on their web site, and it's not fluff -- it is noticeably better and more room-filling (or should I say "head-filling") than the stock cable.

Those are my first impressions, and they're subject to change with more listening.

How does it compare to the Cardas prototype I have? So far I prefer the Cardas cable. The Cardas is definitely more resolving, and, as I stated in my very brief first impressions of it in another thread, is very even-handed in its tonal improvements over the stock cable. Add to that the treble extension granted by the Cardas, and the Cardas HD-580/600 cable is the leader (to my ears) at this point.

With some pop/rock, there can be a slight illusory aural effect of more bass with the Equinox over the Cardas, likely due to what I perceive as a bit less control down there with the Equinox (versus the Cardas). While pleasing with, say, Radiohead's "Airbag" on OK Computer, it can sound just a tiny touch too fat on Massive Attack's opening track ("Angel") on their Mezzanine album. Versus the stock Sennheiser cable, the reach and control in the lower octaves is significantly improved with the Equinox, but it not quite the equivalent of its Cardas competitor in this regard.

As one example of how the Cardas resolves better to my ears than the Equinox, listening to Adolf von Henselt's "Piano Concerto in F Minor op 16" played by Marc-André Hamelin and the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Hamelin never gets lost under the weight of the orchestra with the Cardas. That is, with the Cardas I have an easier time hearing his each and every note -- even in those short passages in which he's strongly orchestra-accompanied -- than I do with the Equinox. With the Cardas, he more clearly remains the centerpiece of that track when he's playing.

As far as I can tell at this early point in listening to them, the Equinox sets a very high standard, and is a fabulous cable for the HD-580/600. But the Cardas HD-580/600 cable has the edge. So far the Cardas does just about everything at least as good as the Equinox, but edges it out in a few key areas too (namely treble extension, overall resolution, and bass control).

Again, I've not been listening to these cables for too long, so these are early impressions, and subject to change.

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #18 of 32
thanks jude! It sounds like you're running a tough comparison- both products appear to have excellent sound.

I won't even open the break-in can of worms
rolleyes.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
thanks jude! It sounds like you're running a tough comparison- both products appear to have excellent sound.

I won't even open the break-in can of worms
rolleyes.gif

The Equinox had 48 hours of break-in when I got them, and then I used them all weekend, including XLO test CD break-in track overnight for two nights. There may be more break-in to go.

The Cardas I used for longer (since I had it for longer), and, as is typical for me, for at least a few hours per day, and also used the XLO test CD for a few nights on it.

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #21 of 32
Mumbo jumbo, who cares! They all sound good don't they?
confused.gif
But which one sounds warmer?!?!?! <-- question is serious, please answer.
smily_headphones1.gif

jude - you need to stress the hell out of those cables to break them in quicker, I would appreciate a more expressive (no technical stuff) review from you given a fairer comparison (A/B, reasonable break-in period).

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
did you get the Reds in the mail yet?

Yes, but I'm still at the office and haven't had a chance to listen to them yet.

Weird thing is that roll-man's Clou Red is more flexible than mine were, and I think maybe it's because he was simply bold enough to bend his more than I was. Hehe. They are, however, still a lot less flexible than the Equinox and Cardas.

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Mumbo jumbo, who cares! They all sound good don't they?
confused.gif
But which one sounds warmer?!?!?! <-- question is serious, please answer.
smily_headphones1.gif

jude - you need to stress the hell out of those cables to break them in quicker, I would appreciate a more expressive (no technical stuff) review from you given a fairer comparison (A/B, reasonable break-in period).

Mumbo jumbo? If you don't care, why read?

Which sounds warmer? The Equinox, in that it doesn't seem to have any more treble extension than the stock cable, whereas the Cardas does. The slightly looser bass also makes the Equinox's tonal balance a bit more rounded.

A fairer comparison? How was mine unfair? First of all, I'm not a big fan of A/B -- if you're referring to quick switching between the two. To me, that's good for determining quickly that they're different from one another. And I've made it perfectly clear these were first impressions, and I've made it pefectly clear how much time I've put on them. People were asking for first impressions so I gave them.

Stress the hell out of them? Do explain.

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #24 of 32
I'm sorry if I came off rude, it was not my intent at all. The mumbo jumbo comment was meant to be taken as a joke. I apologize for my hastiness, I was asking for a more extended review (not initial, sorry again
frown.gif
).
I only meant to perhaps break the cables in even longer, then post a follow up.

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I'm sorry if I came off rude, it was not my intent at all. The mumbo jumbo comment was meant to be taken as a joke. I apologize for my hastiness, I was asking for a more extended review (not initial, sorry again
frown.gif
).
I only meant to perhaps break the cables in even longer, then post a follow up.

I'm sorry if I came off rude too. I've had a rough day (it's 10:30 p.m. and I'm still at the office). I've seen enough of your posts that I should have known you were saying what you said in fun.

I will do a full review of these cables after more time with them.

I'm not sure how long you've been at Head-Fi, but I've got a series of interconnect reviews that are long overdue, and, just so you know how fair I try to be on the time thing, I've been using this group of interconnects for over three (almost four) months now.

Feb 5, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #26 of 32
Thanks Jude for the initial impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

I received my Equinox today and have less than 2 hours on them so far. James Serdechny recommends 72 hours break-in before serious listening. It wouldn't be fair to James to give any critical thoughts yet, but then again since I have nothing but good things to say...

I liked these cables right out of the box. With the stock cable you get abbreviated cymbal crashes and with the Equinox it just goes on forever. Very balanced top to bottom and very MUSICAL which makes listening so much fun. Read the write up on James' site that gives the sonic description of the Equinox. I will second his thoughts.

I'm not even going to put the CDP on repeat to speed up the break-in over the next few days. I think I'll just listen to them and let it all evolve. Good practice for me to pick up on the changes as they come about.

For those that didn't like the Clou because of the stiffness, the Equinox is very flexible. You can loop the cable like a garden hose into 6" diameter circles with one hand and it lays where you put it without resisting.

Thanks James for the help and answering emails on a weekend when you should have been out having fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #27 of 32
I totally understand, I'm making art (deadlines), trying to help JML or Russ Arcuri spread their accuired manuals for the Sony D-25S to those who want it, and browsing this place all at the same time. (11:05PM EST now)

The fairness comment was wrong, I did not think before I said it. It was a matter of time (how long you've burned the cables in for) misunderstanding on my part.

The first day that I heard about this site, I registered (Christmas morning, 2001
biggrin.gif
What a great gift this place was) and immediately started posting away, this place is perfect for my interests. I love it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've tried the whole speaker forum thing, and the atmosphere/people were just awful, ignorance everywhere, people are quick to judge, just out right bashfulness, not a very healthy place to spend my free time on.

Well anyway, I have no doubt that you are making your review on a very controlled basis. Three months? Wow, that's some leeway.
smily_headphones1.gif
I should expect a great review from you.
wink.gif

Go Team Sennheiser HD600 and Aftermarket Cables Inc.!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

I'm sorry if I came off rude too. I've had a rough day (it's 10:30 p.m. and I'm still at the office). I've seen enough of your posts that I should have known you were saying what you said in fun.

"And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain,
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders.
For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder."

Sorry, couldn't resist.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've enjoyed your comparisons. Looking forward to how the Clou compares. Also would like to see how they fair with a little bit more time on them. Thanks.

Feb 5, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #29 of 32
Hey, Jude,
In particular, when comparing the top-end of cables, please use SACD or some other high-res format, as I am beginning to come to the conclusion that a lot of the "veiling" that many of us hear is the limit of CD playback.

Please and thank you.

Feb 5, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Hey, Jude,
In particular, when comparing the top-end of cables, please use SACD or some other high-res format, as I am beginning to come to the conclusion that a lot of the "veiling" that many of us hear is the limit of CD playback.

Please and thank you.

In looking at my notes and drafts, I have made reference to a lot of specific SACD's. Keep in mind, however, that probably 99% of the folks here don't have SACD -- and most of my music listening is regular CD's still -- so cable performance with CD playback is very important to me at least.

Also, well-recorded CD's can still be phenomenal. Listening to most of Marc-André Hamelin's Hyperion Label CD's, Robert Lucas on the Audioquest music label, or even a mainstream CD like Tool's Lateralus .... those can still impress to a great degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back