first impressions of px200
Feb 21, 2003 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

djgustashaw

1000+ Head-Fier
first i have to say that buying from headroom was great. at the site they said the px's would be available in 3-5 days, and 2 days after buying online they were at the house. great service!!! anyway, the px200's seem to be great portable cans. when i first took them out of the shipping box the thing i noticed was the packaging... weird i know but to me packaging is important, i love reading claims like "great bass!!!" and stuff lol. so anyway, after finicking with the hard case these things come in i finally got them loose and listened. thru the ipod, things sound a tad tinny compared to my sr60's, but these of course have no burn in. these do indeed have the good bass claimed on the package, as they completely blow the sony w.ear's away and are easily on par with if not better than the koss ksc-50's, although with isolation. once i plugged them into an amp (not a dedicated headphone amp tho), everything changed. to my ear, they are almost on par with the sr60's thru an amp, but the bass distorts a bit during heavy bass. for portable traveling tho, these unamped is more than suitable. the hardcase is genius, i dont have to worry about tossing them in a bookbag with heavy textbooks. isolation is good, i guess, for such tiny earcups. they do indeed muffle sounds slightly, and when my dad was trying them i could hardly hear the music at all until he turned it up all the way. it'll be good enough to cut down noise in a classroom, though maybe not in extremely noisy areas. also, durability seems to be great upon first inspection, and im glad senn used normal rubber on the cord instead of the fabric junk that koss uses on the ksc50... that stuff falls apart in no time. anyway, thats all for now, if anyone's interested ill post more impressions after burn in.

Feb 22, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 12
Thanks djgustashaw
smily_headphones1.gif

Its starting to annoy me now how people say that they sound good... I had one brief moment with my PX200s where they sounded good... but apart from that, I just can't seem to get the placement right
frown.gif

There are times when their added discreetness would be a bonus over the D66... but I just can't find the PX200 love...

Can anyone help??

Feb 22, 2003 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 12
I just A/B'd the PX200's vs Koss PortaPro. With a little hip hop and some trance. This is in a quiet environment too. The PX200's seem to lack low end substance. The bass just doesn't seem fulfilling. Source is iPod. They sound OK until I switch back and forth with the Koss. I definately prefer the Koss, it sounds like there is more extension to the music.
The PX200's look more attractive. The ProPros just don't look that good with the big black plastic pieces. Even though the PX200 fold up in a spiffy case, The Koss actually fold up into a smaller more pocketable ball. I've taken the PX200's around town before they don't isolate much but more than the Koss which are completely open. I think I'd still prefer the PX200s in an area where there is more ambient noise.

Feb 22, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 12
I find that placement of my PX200s is critical. The ear cups are so small that unless they are sitting just right, the character of the sound I experience changes. However I do not find the correct placement that hard to find, provided I am wearing them as designed... over the top of the head. Some of my friends with whom I've shared these cans have not been impressed when they go behind-the-head style.
Having A/B'd them with PortaPros myself, I found that the PX200s were better for the music I tested them with. What I observed was quite different than Austonia's. I find the bass very good compared to the PPs. In reality though, I think a great mantra to keep in mind when reading all these A/B comparisons is "Trust your Ears."
Bobes

Feb 22, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 12
The Portapros have quite an exaggerated upper to mid-bass, which might not be a problem with hip hop or trance. The PX200s (or actually the PXC-250s with the noise cancellation off, which I assume to be quite similar) have a better controlled bass. My sense of the PX200/250s is that they have a generally even, neutral sound with some lack of high end brilliance and low end depth. Compared to any of the Koss Portapro/KSC35/50 line, they lack openness and punch. They also suffer in this regard in comparison with the PX-100. However it's not something I really miss until I make the comparison. I think the closed cups provide enough isolation to be a real advantage, since ambient noise will tend to drown out some of the benefits of the Koss anyway, whereas the PX200/250s in my experience aren't diminished by a moderate level of background noise.

Feb 23, 2003 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 12
I am the one who sold austonia px-200.
wink.gif
I do think px-200 provides a decent, not overexaggerated bass. The sound is well balanced, although not very impressive to me. The design is also good and convenient for portable use. The reason that I don't like it is because the headband is too short and the the earcup is too small for me. Therefore I don't have room for adjust the headband and it's hard for me to locate the earpad over the ear on the correct position. Just like Bobes said, the sound changes when you don't locate it well. And the isolation is loss a bit with wrong position. Maybe my head is just too big
frown.gif
That's why I finally chose not to keep it. But IMO, px-200 definitely worths the money in this price range, if you don't have any problem with the size.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 12
Bangraman reports that the PXC250's headband is OK for his big head, whereas the PX200's is not. I have no problem with the PXC250 or the PX100, and I've always found my head too big for most hats and baseball caps. But that would be the horizontal circumference. Perhaps my head is small vertically.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 12
chunglin sorry for your big head
smily_headphones1.gif
just kidding!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Overall I like the PX200's (more than the PX100s for sure) but they seem better in a noisy environment when comparably-priced open phones don't do so well. And they get +20 points for looking cool

Feb 23, 2003 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 12
I have a few more expensive headphones and amps now, but I feel that the px200 gives (for the money) great sound without an amp. If you were not looking to get into the audiophile headphone thing and just wanted to improve the sound over stock headphones you reall can't go wrong with the px200. And if you still want an amp after that there is a great cheap but effective option in the supermini v5 from fixup. However the px200 still sounds great without one.

Wordsworth

Feb 23, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 12
I agree with everyone's opinion that the bass on the 200's is very controlled and not as "boomy" as the portapro's. The sound from the 200's is really good, specially in a more noisy environment (as far as being able to hear the music better at lower volumes, not isolation IMO), but I do enjoy the 100's more. To me they are a little more "dynamic" with a little more extension for both the highs and lows.

Feb 24, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 12
i am really liking these little phones. they are adequate for my needs (listening to discman in noisy situations i.e. school and bus and car) the isolation is decent for something as small as these. i went from listening to 4 w/ 3 lines on my diskman to 2 w/ 3 lines. (one of those sony g protection ones)

and it definitely has that "cool factor" that everyone talks about. i got complimented a few times today about how "cool" they look, people wanted to try them out and stuff. they couldn't believe i had blown $57 on a pair of headphones though lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back