First Impressions: NFB-3 vs Stello DA100 (The amazing ACSS connection)
Sep 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Zalken

100+ Head-Fier
So, I just received my Stello DA100 and while I think it is an amazing DAC, it made me realize how ridiculously good NFB-3 to C2 AMP via ACSS is.

The NFB-3 connected via RCA to the C2 amp is no match for DA100 connected to the C2 via RCA.
However, the sonic difference between connecting the NFB-3/C2 with ACSS and RCA is almost night and day.  With ACSS, details come out more, the music is more natural, the mids are more lush, bass extension is improved, larger soundstage, etc.

Equipment used:
Stello DA100 (w/ upsampling turned on)
Audio GD NFB-3
Audio GD C2 (Earth HDAM for RCA)

Adam A7 + Tannoy TS10 (For those who don't know, the Adam A7 is like the speaker version of the K701 - quite analytical, amazing soundstage, great highs)
     Small treated room
     Bass peaks below 200Hz are equalized at the listening position

Here are my first impressions:
Both DACs are quite neutral.

DA100 is more analytical, treble is more harsh.
NFB-3 has smoother, more natural highs.
Interestingly enough, while the DA100 sounds more analytical, it doesn't seem to bring forth anymore detail than the NFB-3 does.

DA100 has more bass impact than the NFB-3 (This does not mean that the NFB-3 is lacking in bass at all - Think Ultrasone HFI-780 vs Denon D2000)

DA100 has a wider soundstage.

Vocals on NFB-3 sound sweeter, more lush, more organic.  I prefer the mids of the NFB-3.

Right now, its a toss-up on which one I would say is better.  Perhaps a full review will come later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back