First impressions: Just upgraded TBSC to EMU 0404
Feb 8, 2005 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ColdFlame

New Head-Fier
Just put the EMU 0404 in my PC instead of TB Santa Cruz that I used to have.

Summary: Wow! Cetainly worth $100.

Details:

Hardware connections: I don't have a headphone amp yet so I purchased "Hosa 6" shileded Y cable 1/4" stereo (F) to two 1/4" mono (M)" adapter for $5 from a local guitar store. I then plugged my Senns 590 directly into the adapter.

Software setup:
Foobar + ASIO DLL + PatchMix (I created a new session called "Music Listening")

Impressions:
I think 0404 is way better than TBSC for music playback and it is way more powerful if you like to play with equalizers. I didn't know but apparently you can stack different audio effects on top of each other, like you can stack EQ, reverb and chorus all together creating some unbelievable combinations (when you are bored with natural sound or if the recording is bad).

I listened to some rock (Keith Richards, U2, Depeche Mode) and some classics (Bach's Brandenburgh Concertos) and I think this card is much better than both TBSC and A2 (surprise surprise!
smily_headphones1.gif
). It is also more detailed and crips than my $3,500 stereo system at home ($500 CDP, $500 receiver, $2k speakers, $500 wires, etc.) - my cheap receiver might be to blame there. Instruments sound much better and more natural. I had a feeling that the vocals are more laid back now, for example on Keith Richards "Eileen" his vocals were more in a background and guitars were brought forward, maybe it is the way it should be - I don't know. In Brandenburgh Concertos all the proper instruments were there I think, I could hear the violins where they are supposed to be (on the left) and clearly and loudly - just as it should be.

Edit: Just listened to Iron Maiden "Dance of Death" which always sounded muddy to me, no matter what equipment I was using. I'm pleased to say that it sounds way less muddy and more detailed on 0404 that on anything else I listened to
smily_headphones1.gif

I've had a lot of fun with equalizers, simulating how a particular classical piece would sound in a concert hall, etc.

Edit: One thing is bothering me though, I believe the sound gets slightly distorted, maybe you call it coloring, especially when I push the volume almost to the top. A possible explanation is that I need a headphone amp and once I push the volume on the 0404 above 75% it will distort by design. I'd appreciate if someone could confirm this please.

Final summary:
I guess I can only repeat what was said here before - if you want some high quality music playback on your PC - get 0404 and enjoy!

Feb 8, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 3
you are basically using the 0404's line out to power your high impedance cans. poor onboard amp! your signal shouldn't be getting that hot - it desires to plug into a headphone amp - a clean line signal to a big fat amp to power your cans at whatever volume you want without distortion. that's the ticket!

Feb 9, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 3
You might also look into getting it modded by one of the trusted guys on Head-Fi. That should take you the last step towards budget audio nirvana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back