First impressions Grado SR225
Apr 23, 2006 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
Good day to everyone.
The time has come to give my first Grado impression up here. I am new here and have spend some money lately to upgrade the sound i already have. This is my first Grado phones which i have bought with spontaneity. I was always interesting in how they may sound and finally i did it. And glad i am!
First of all i would like to tell you which set up and music i have used.

Phones: Grado SR225 / AKG HEARO 888 DIGITAL
Player: DVD Pioneer
Amplifier: Firestone Cute Encore
Music:
Sade "The best of Sade" @ Great and very controled BASS response. Nice details and easy listening.
Smooth operator
The sweetest taboo
Never as good as the first time
No ordinary love

Pink Floyd " Delicate Sound of Thunder" live performence @ Closer to stage and very good detailed sound. Soundstage is huge.
Shine on you crazy diamond
Learning to Fly
Comfortably numb

Candy Dulfer " Big Girl" @ Very fun to listen, just make you move all the way. Once again details, yeah amazing and very live.
2Miles
Capone
September
Up Stairs
Jazz it's me

Deep Purple "Bananas" @ HOLLY MOLY, WOW!!! Here it comes. THEY ROCK YOU HELL OUT OF YOUR BODY! For a long time just got my TRILL AGAIN, YEAH!
House of pain
Sun goes down
Silver tongue

Well to start i would like to say that they are absolutely comfy ones, i mean it. Very light weight and i was just forgeting that i have them on. Compare to AKG a BIG PLUS POINT.
In the begining i didn't expect much, thought that i wouldnt be surprised at all. And i wasnt, to tell you the true, CRAZY HA?! Until i get some serious time to seat with all those records and compare them.
My first impression with all records, the music is much closer to you and they are brighter. I would like to use another word than BRIGHT, i would like to say that music become more live and natural in all aspects. Its total different experience which brings you to higher listening level. My AKG couldnt take it in some difficult passages and mixes when Grado did so easy and flawless, without to killing your ears even with high volume level. It is very painful to realized that my lovely AKG just loose there first place. Not sure if this the fair comparison because the AKG wireless one and thats a different story of course, but consider the price, THEY LOSE ALL THE WAY! Dont get me wrong they still a great phones, but only for some situations now, when i want some movement around the house or for watching the movies. But when I want some serious listening, GRADO it is!
I can only imagine now how AKG K701 sounds like, because in the begining I was planning to get them first. But unfortunately dont have enough money at the moment and deсide to purchase Grado SR225 AND GLAD I DID!
I would like to thank all head-fiers up here for sharing there experience with us and to help people make a good choices. THX!!!
eggosmile.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 18
Great reading Blackmore
icon10.gif
I've just ordered mine from Todd. Hoping they are a worthy upgrade from the MS1's I have at present. (Tried the MS2 but too heavy and uncomfy for me...nice sound though) An upgrade to the 225's my only choice in the Alessandro/Grado lineup for weight/comfort without heading into wooden chamber territory and a depleted bank balance. I'd love to try the woodies one day though and see how they compare. Enjoy the cans mate!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 18
The 225 is a lovely headphone. I tend to 'savour' the sound and I'm a bit stingy with the volume control with them.

I use them at low/lowish volume and some sounds (especially acoustic) seem to float in from the room!! They are so realistic, you could swear that they are coming from the room. I find that turning the volume up too much seems to lose this effect!!

It is also quite hard to resist eeking the volume up .....

Ian

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 18
Welcome to Gradoland! Congratulations!

The 225 is a wonderful headphone, my personal favourite Grado, other than the RS-1. Per the last post, listen to him! I laid back the other night, just listening on my iPod and I barely had the volume up AT ALL, and the sound seemed to really take new directions. A curious thing, to have the spaciousness be so dependent on volume.

That being said, do not resist the urge to let these babies loose. On faster or more aggressive/louder music, provided you don't get them TOO loud, they really offer an attack that's hard to find in an open can.

Wait til about 30 hours and you'll be hard pressed to find a more satisfying headphone at the price. Try out the K701 though, if you ever get the chance. They are simply magnificent.

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
A curious thing, to have the spaciousness be so dependent on volume.

I haven't found another headphone that does this so well at low volume. All the talk of 'lack of imaging' suggests that people are listening loud. Stuff just floats in even on my Iriver playing mp3.

That crystal quality is just superb imo.

Ian

Apr 23, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks for bringing up the low volume listening advantages! I've been listening at low volumes since I "discovered" cans way back about a month ago.

Nothing like a good set of 'phones and a source with a nice clean output to bring the world a-floatin' right inside the room!!

Apr 24, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 18
ENJOY!!!
Jim

~

Apr 24, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 18
Recently Purchased the Grado Sr225's myself and I am really enjoying them. I especially like how these make the guitars and vocals sound on songs I listen to. Everything seems so lively rather then really laid back. Have fun with em.

Apr 24, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 18
I also have much love for my 225s, i find it hard not to listen to them. The only thing that ever deterrent is how open they are, which also makes it fun walking around with them on... it's like i have a soundtrack for my life
icon10.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 18
I love my (Headphiled) Grado SR-225!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back