First Impression: New Slee Solo Headphone Amp
Mar 5, 2002 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ILoveGrado

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a new toy, and I'm soooo happy
biggrin.gif

First of all I'd like to say that doing business with Graham Slee is a pleasant experience, he is very friendly and he valued his customers highly.

I have just received the Slee Solo amplifier yeterday afternoon. Upon opening the box I was greeted with a piano black finished amplifier and a big power supply...The spec says 24 V DC @500mA regulated. It's build quality shows how serious Graham Slee is to this product. It is good enough, and on par with the build quality of Creek Audio, not bad at all for a home based business. I tested it with Etymotic ER4S and NAD C541, and I must say they offer an outstanding performace for $324.00.
I dare to say that this amp sounds much better than Grado RA-1. It's fast, smooth, detailed, uncolored, great soundstage, and definitely a great match for my Etymotic ER-4S and my Grado RA-1.

Since I got addicted to this hobby, I've always been in the search of a 'giant killer' amp. I don't have that much money and I am always in the search for good but not too expensive equipments.
So, I have favored the sound of Grado RA-1 in the past, choosing it over MG Head DT (never tried the OTL one), Sugden Headmaster, X-CanV2, and Creek OBH-11 with Creek OBH-2 power supply.

A couple thing I'd like to add are unlike what Zero-Distortion.com have said, I feel that the bass is as detailed as it is tight and controlled. The sense of space between instrument is just very very good. It feels like you can also sense how high the ceiling is in a recording. I'm also thrilled with how seamlessly it integrates the frequency in a musical piece...it's very balanced with no boominess in the bass, no sibilance in the vocal, and no break during cymbal crash. It's also a powerful amp with lots of power in reserve. I was able to turn the volume LOUD, and still find it to be as clear as it is in low volume.

For now I only had a chance to listen music through this amp with Diana Krall's CD...I like Mrs Krall's voice, and I like it even more now with this amp.

This is just a first impression, I am done with Winter 2002 final exams and papers in this two weeks, I promise to write a detailed review as best as I could for all of you. I really think this amp deserves a better publication than it does now.

Thank you guys, I'll post my other finding in this thread again.

Mar 5, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 9
I noticed the Solo does not have a power on/off switch, which means that it is designed to be left powered on at all times. According to Graham Slee the unit needs two hour warm up and is best powered on at all times, unless when we're absent for a long time.

The Solo has two 30 kiloohms inputs which can be selected, one at a time by the front panel switch. There are three position, the middle is for mute. (I thought it was the power switch hehehe silly me.)The Solo did not incorporate loopout, but it does the same function by four included T phono adapters.

image003.jpg

image007.jpg

The rear connectors are a very high quality teflon insulated, gold plated ones found on very high end home amps. Pardon the quality of the pictures, I'll take some pictures of my own soon.

Mar 6, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Nice little review, ILoveGrado.......I contacted Graham Slee awhile ago, as I was interested in acquiring this nice little amp, and he was very prompt and courteous with his reply. Then a Sugden Headmaster came up on Audiogon at a very reasonable price, and I went with that. But I'd still like to try the Slee and see how it compares. Sometime in the future..........
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 9
Joe, I wish I could a/b them too. I am looking forward to any future Northwest meeting, shame I couldn't make it on the first Northwest meeting in Beaverton, OR. Anyway, during the future meeting, I hope I can find a Sugden to be compared with...

acidtripwow, I'll be sure to update the findings.

I also find the specs on the manual (I have a bad habit of not reading the manual before using something). To be honest, I don't understand what it translates into performance, but maybe, an experienced folks like you guys can have a picture by reading it:

*Reference=600 ohms load

Recommended headphone impedance = 20 to 600 ohms
Maximum output: +14 db*
Distortion THD: 0.15 % (onset of clipping)*
0.01 % (+10 db out)*

Frequency response: 12 hz (-0.5 db) to 100 khz (-3 db) at half power, any load. 12 hz (-0.5 db) to 150 khz (-1.5 db) at maximum output.

s/n ratio: 89 db
input sensitivity: 125 mV rms
short circuit duration: continuous
Power input into 600 ohms: 25 mW rms, into 32 ohm: 30 mW rms.

Mar 6, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ILoveGrado
I dare to say that this amp sounds much better than Grado RA-1. It's fast, smooth, detailed, uncolored, great soundstage, and definitely a great match for my Etymotic ER-4S and my Grado RA-1

It makes a great match for your RA-1?

Mar 6, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 9
Umm...it's a typo, I mean my RS-1
tongue.gif

May 1, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 9
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to ask: If I was to order this amp from the site I'd get the 115V model right? For correct usage in the US? Am I correct in thinking that the 230V model is for use in the UK or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back