First IEMs.. making the final selection!
Oct 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

headfilurker

New Head-Fier
As my name suggests, I've been lurking these forums for a little while after I decided I needed some IEMs for use with my iPhone 3G and reading at Gizmodo that I needed to spend more then $100 on them. I've come up with a short list based on the various best IEMS <$200-topics and I figured I'd leave the final decision up to the people in the know; as it's the first time I'll be using IEMs (unfortunately no local store would allow me to try any pair of IEMs due to hygene issues). Being able to use the microphone and music controls is a must for me (without an additional cable that's why there's no Shures in the shortlist). I listen to different kinds of music; mostly accoustic singer/songwriter stuff (e.g. Jack Johnson), classic rock (from CCR to radiohead) and rap (e.g. BIG/Jay-Z). The quality I'm used so far is the standard iPhone earphones and they're for usage on-the-go (I use a Sennheiser HD 555 if I'm home).

Here's the shortlist: (included approximate prices converted from euros to dollars)
* Apple in-ear-buds (2 drivers - $90)
* Bose Mobile In-Ear ($120)
* Etymotic HF2 ($140)
* Nuforce NE-7M ($60)
* Nuforce NE-8 ($70)

Can you guys give me some input on which one of these will have the best sound and also which one has the best price/quality-value? Also.. are the Apple earbuds the only ones with two drivers in this list and is this the most important aspect? I was almost convinced by the NE-7M review on this site; until I read someplace else that at least some feel like the earbuds are always about to fall out of your ear.. anyone recognize this here? If there's any great buds I'm missing here under say $150 or so I'm open for more options.. as long as this topic ends up with my narrowing it down to one set! Thanks in advance for the expert opinions, they're much appreciated!
beyersmile.png

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Phonak PFE 121 @ $159

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 12
lol You don't need to spend more than $100, there are plenty of low budget IEMs that provide great sound for less than $100. For your needs, I think the Klipsch S4i would be your best bet. Btw, you can find the Apples for cheaper on ebay at times.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 12
the prices are a bit confusing...but on ebay the apple earphones go for around $35 or so.

i havent heard them myself but a lot of people have been talking about the S4 lately and I know they have an S4i version which is for the phone? u might want to look at those.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 12
That article is full of fail. There's a separate thread on it. They really oversimply many aspects of audio and generalize very broadly. Also, they cause people to make assumptions such as "Bose In-Ears are better than the JVC Marshmallows because they cost 10x more", which is just not true.

Personally, I'd go for the NE-7M's. All IEMs might feel like they're falling out if you're not using the right size tip, so I wouldn't pay much attention to such comments. Also, the Nuforce NE-8 don't have a mic, so I don't see what they're doing on your list.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 12
While the $100 remark seems ill-informed, I've been well advised on these boards to stay near the top of a manufacturer's product line. Their elite phones trade on sound, while their cheap phones trade on branding.

The exception is Bose, overpriced in every single product they sell. Avoid.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for the valuable comments everyone! I totally missed the fact that the Nuforce NE-8s don't have a mic and I was leaning towards those because the review on this site was even more positive then towards the NE-7Ms; big save right there
smily_headphones1.gif

The only things holding me back on the NE-7Ms were the combination of the Gizmodo article and the NE-7Ms price as well as the 'feels like they will fall out your ear'-remark, thanks for putting those two within context.

I'll keep an eye on this topic for another day or so, but I'm heavily leaning towards the NE-7Ms right now! Is it worth it spending another $15 on Comply Tx-400s for them? Am I better of with Shure foam tips or something else entirely?
darthsmile.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the $100 remark seems ill-informed, I've been well advised on these boards to stay near the top of a manufacturer's product line. Their elite phones trade on sound, while their cheap phones trade on branding.

While this holds true for some big name manufactures like Shure and UE (which are the ones Gizmodo has more experience with), it is absolute BS when it comes to small hi-fi brands such as Nuforce, Soundmagic, Maximo, Meelectronics, etc. (speaking of which, Maximo now has a version of the Im-590 with a mic. Not sure of the retail price, but the 590s is an incredible IEM that I actually prefer to the NE-7M). Basically, that philosophy might work within a single manufacturer's particular product line, but cannot be applied as broadly as they did.

@OP: You're not missing out by going with the NE-7M over the NE-8. The Ne-7's are more balanced all-around earphones while the NE-8 lack bass altogether. Also, before buying replacement tips, maybe you should try the included ones. They might work well enough for you. Keep in mind complys need to be replaced while silicone tips can last a while.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfilurker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the valuable comments everyone! I totally missed the fact that the Nuforce NE-8s don't have a mic and I was leaning towards those because the review on this site was even more positive then towards the NE-7Ms; big save right there
smily_headphones1.gif

The only things holding me back on the NE-7Ms were the combination of the Gizmodo article and the NE-7Ms price as well as the 'feels like they will fall out your ear'-remark, thanks for putting those two within context.

I'll keep an eye on this topic for another day or so, but I'm heavily leaning towards the NE-7Ms right now! Is it worth it spending another $15 on Comply Tx-400s for them? Am I better of with Shure foam tips or something else entirely?
darthsmile.gif

The ne-7m's are a great entrance IEM. I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially because it will automatically feel like a huge upgrade in SQ. Good balance, good price, good functionality.

They aren't as intrusive as some have suggested, and the never felt like they were going to fall out. The insert is slightly shallower than other IEMs, but I don't look as that as a negative.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@OP: You're not missing out by going with the NE-7M over the NE-8. The Ne-7's are more balanced all-around earphones while the NE-8 lack bass altogether. Also, before buying replacement tips, maybe you should try the included ones. They might work well enough for you. Keep in mind complys need to be replaced while silicone tips can last a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Tip-81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ne-7m's are a great entrance IEM. I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially because it will automatically feel like a huge upgrade in SQ. Good balance, good price, good functionality.

They aren't as intrusive as some have suggested, and the never felt like they were going to fall out. The insert is slightly shallower than other IEMs, but I don't look as that as a negative.

I'm sold or in other words I've bought them!
o2smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your comments on this great forum; if it hadn't been for this place I would have probably replaced my iPhone headset with.. the same iPhone headset!
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back