First IEM
Jan 17, 2009 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

haloskinner

New Head-Fier
Never had an IEM before,Have always used the generic earbuds that come with mp3 players.Looking to spend no more than 450.

beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 13
If you haven't ever used one before, I'd suggest maybe starting with a cheap pair and definitely not a $450 pair just to make sure you can get used to something in your ear like that.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 13
Instead of spending allot of money on one (maybe) good iem for you i suggest taking two relatively inexpensive iems from both worlds: dynamic and armature. Then you can decide if you want to stick with one of them (or both) for a certain amount of time or search for a better one based on your experiences. For dynamic i reccomend Denon C551 or more expensive C751, Atrios. And for armatures you could try shure slc4 that are on sale for 80$ (there should be a couple of threads here, don't remmember the exact place), hf5 or er6i from etymotic or maybe new apple dual driver iem. They all have decent popularity here. If hoewer you'd like to skip all this and go for the best, you should post about your music prefferences, sound that you're looking for and i'm sure me and other members would like to help you on deciding. Oh yeah, welcome to head-fi!

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 13
the triple fi's, ie8, um3's and the se530 come to mind. Going from generic buds to these iem's is gonna be NICE

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Instead of spending allot of money on one (maybe) good iem for you i suggest taking two relatively inexpensive iems from both worlds: dynamic and armature. Then you can decide if you want to stick with one of them (or both) for a certain amount of time or search for a better one based on your experiences. For dynamic i reccomend Denon C551 or more expensive C751, Atrios. And for armatures you could try shure slc4 that are on sale for 80$ (there should be a couple of threads here, don't remmember the exact place), hf5 or er6i from etymotic or maybe new apple dual driver iem. They all have decent popularity here. If hoewer you'd like to skip all this and go for the best, you should post about your music prefferences, sound that you're looking for and i'm sure me and other members would like to help you on deciding. Oh yeah, welcome to head-fi!

I really dont want to go through a couple of headphones,Just want to get right into it pretty much
smily_headphones1.gif
.I listen to a lot of rock and alternative,But listen to pretty much everything.Need an all around IEM.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 13
I was telling you that because there's some difference between armatures and dynamic (mainly in bass and soundstage) so you could do a little research on that matter. And since you want the best try looking for some reviews here on Sennheiser IE8, Westone W3, Shure SE530 and Ultimate Ears TF10. Ether one of these four is more or less guarantied to satisfy you.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 13
It's hard ti find a place with a "good return policy" for IEM's because of the hygene issues. Ebay has them pretty cheap but I doubt any returns are possible. You may want to search the "For Sale" threads and pick up a used pair to audition. They hold thier value pretty well because they're the top of UE's universal line and the customs are the only way to go up from there with UE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back