First IEM purchase. Help needed please.
Jul 3, 2006 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

adfinni

100+ Head-Fier
Well my EX-71's gave up after 3 years of rigorous use, and now im looking for a set of replacement IEM's. I sometimes take my sr60's on teh go, but usually use teh HF-1's instead. But if these get woddied by larry this summer then they will be kept at home for their own safety.

Right the IEM's:

My knowledge is limited but im looking for a pair in the price range including the UM1's, cheap shures (e2c /e3c ??), er6i, UE super5, and can include any of those.

With regard to the sound signature, im a grado man through and through, but am also looking for quite a compact IEM that won't stick out of my ear, are comfortable with good isolation, and the cable can go over the back of my ears.

At the moment the UM1's look like a great deal from earphone solutions, but should i buy a set of the tri-flange bits as i have read many opinions on here that they are the best and can be modded too?

I have tried to read up on all of the other IEM help threads but was wondering what would be best suited to me.

Ta
cool.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 15
The Shure's(e2,e3) are really flawed in their sound. I' ve previously owned a pair of E3c and they sound very dark to me, the bass is weak, the treble is almost nonexistent, leaving only midrange.

If you like bright sound, go for etymotics.
Super.fi 5 Pro should be the best if you don't care about its slightly larger size, but might be out of your budget?

Not sure about UM1.

EDIT: sorry didn't see you don't want IEMs that stick out of your ears, so maybe 5pro is out of question then, they stick out alot..
And er6i is straight cable, I believe they don't go behind your ears, but they might sound closest to grado with its bright sound.
Look into E4's then if you can afford it, a bit dark but quite balanced, they go behind ears and reduce microphonic effect by alot.

Jul 3, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 15
Yeah, the UM1's are your best bet. As far as the physical traits, they're perfect. Sound signature? I'd call these (From my 1 hour experience so far) warm, bassy, and a bit dark. Sometimes they sound a bit veiled to me, and the bass can be little flabby, but I think burn in will improve it.

I'm using the long comply tips. They come with tri-flanges (at EarphoneSolutions) but those make the UM1's stick out of your ears. Tri-flanges will always do that. The short comply tips are probably best for keeping the housing inside your ear, but the long comply tips give me a lot more isolation, and they only stick out a couple millimeters more, so it's worth it. Still though, in the case it came with, I'll be keeping a pair of short comply tips for times when I don't want as much isolation.

I'd pull the trigger on the UM1's while they're on sale. I actually contacted Flavio last week asking if they would be on sale, and he replied telling me that he was going to add them for this week, and that would be the only promotion for Westone products this year.

Jul 3, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni
My knowledge is limited but im looking for a pair in the price range including the UM1's, cheap shures (e2c /e3c ??), er6i, UE super5, and can include any of those.

With regard to the sound signature, im a grado man through and through, but

(i think youmean UE super.fi3, the 5pros are ~$220, i think)

I haven't heard the UM1, but for grado people, i think those or the ER-6i would be good bets. Maybe Altec im-716

Jul 4, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 15
Im still leaing towards the um1's as they seem great at that price. Il take the er6i, into consideration but they look like tiny little things that would sound a bit tinny.

PLus im looking at getting an evilfire cmoy in the near future.

I have heard great things about the UE 5pro but they are out of my price range, and all im looking for is a fairly good sounding set of IEMs as i would rather spend my money on my home rig.

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Im still leaing towards the um1's as they seem great at that price. Il take the er6i, into consideration but they look like tiny little things that would sound a bit tinny.

PLus im looking at getting an evilfire cmoy in the near future.

I have heard great things about the UE 5pro but they are out of my price range, and all im looking for is a fairly good sounding set of IEMs as i would rather spend my money on my home rig.

Er6i may look tiny but it sound is very rich... and Er6i is so tiny that it is possible to hide inside your ears

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87
Er6i may look tiny but it sound is very rich... and Er6i is so tiny that it is possible to hide inside your ears

Hmmmm, im thinking of avoiding the er6's especially if they are analytical (a bit like the ex71's) and try something warmer sounding like the UM1.

How much will they go up to on saturday (8th) as i really want to get a good deal on these bad boys
biggrin.gif
?

Jul 6, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Given your criteria I'd go with the UM1 or Er6i. Avoid the lower end Shure's they sound very thin and two dimensional. I think the UE 5Pros are out of the price range you're looking at and outside the size limit you stated as well.

Jul 6, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Hmmmm, im thinking of avoiding the er6's especially if they are analytical (a bit like the ex71's) and try something warmer sounding like the UM1.

How much will they go up to on saturday (8th) as i really want to get a good deal on these bad boys
biggrin.gif
?

They'll go back to $109 on Saturday.. Only a $10 savings, but $99 is the best price out there. You won't find them new for less (I've tried).

Mine are on the way.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selkal
They'll go back to $109 on Saturday.. Only a $10 savings, but $99 is the best price out there. You won't find them new for less (I've tried).

Mine are on the way.
biggrin.gif

so are mine, hopefully here tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 15
I got the UM1's about a month ago (I paid $109 - damn just missed the sale). Anyway, after much research I decided on these for the same reasons as you. Comfort and fit are perfect for me. The wires go behind your ears and can run down the back of your shirt - no microphonics that I have noticed so far. These were my first really nice set of headphones, so i cant compare them to anything, but the sound quality is superb. Isolation is great (got them for watching movies at the gym), so I can now hear all the dialog without having to drown out the crappy music they play at the Gym.

They come with a set of tri-flanges - they do not work well at all with the UM1. I cut the last flange off and also cut down the stem so they dont stick out at all now. They look like the small comply's when they are in, very stealth (look up the UM1 appreciation thread - there is a picture of someone wearing them). And the isolation is still as good as the small complys with just the bi-flange.

At under $99 - buy them. You won't regret it.

Jul 7, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

biggrin.gif
?

than guess um1 is the best for you. unless you can up your budget and get a shure e4...

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 15
Ordered them today, and they are still @ $99
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Can't wait to hear then, and will tryto get an evilfire cmoy sorted this month too.

But im holding off on headphiling my hf-1's and a PPX slam as my right ear is still screwed up and feels blocked. Doc gave me a nasal steriod spray, butthat isnt working and my inner ear still has a dull ache and feels like there is losts of external pressure on it.

Back to see teh doc me thinks
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back