first iem/canal phones!
Jun 29, 2006 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Razoramus

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I'm sick of turning up my ipod and killing my ears in the subway; I want to get my first pair of iem/canal phones. I don't want to spend too much money on a pair, I would rather spend more money on a pair of open phones for home listening. So I am torn between the Creative EP-630 and the Sennheiser CX 300. I love my Sennheiser MX500 and want something that offers the same crisp bass, I don't really want boomy bass just crisp, and also nice highs like the Koss KSC-75. Please offer your experience with these two phones and your suggestion of which would suit my needs better. If there are other budget iem/canal phones I missed, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Also, are the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 or Shure E2C phones worth it? I read that the E2C has pretty muddy bass which I hate.

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 14
Noisy subways are the reason why I purchased my Superfi 5's. I was sick of hearing people talking or all the noise. I would say go ahead and spend a bit more on ear canal phones cause you will use them more than you think: supermarkets, airports, etc. I love my earphones but unfortunately have to warn you against buying them because a lot of people (myself included) have had the plastic crack on them. I have had to get two pairs in less than a year. Luckily I bought them at Guitar Center and purchased insuarnce for them so I get unlimited replacements.

I would look at Etys ER4Ps if I were you. I had a pair and adored the isolation BUT I thought there was no bass whatsoever so I returned them.They may just have enough bass for you though. Later I learned that an amp will help but I didn't want to carry an amp around with my iPod so I went with Superfis which sound great unamped with iPods. There are also Shure iems but I have never tried them so I can't tell you about the bass response.

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 14
Many believe the CX300 and EP-630 are the same drivers, with the same housing, just with differently styled cords (J & Y) and different names slapped on them. I had Sharp MD33S's and they're suspected to be the same too. They were the most sibiliant things I've ever heard. I hated it, and I don't recommend them, but they're the best canal phones for the price I guess...

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 14
I have the westone um2s and I love them; if you don't want to spend $300 (which I would definitely do again) the um1s are only $100.

Jun 29, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 14
Check out the used forums -- there are amazing deals on there. I got my (hardly) used Shure E5s (MSRP: $550) for $225. I just saw a pair of Etymotic ER-4P for $120, which is an amazing price (this time less than half MSRP).

-- David

Jun 29, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 14
Yah, I would go with possibly the iM716; supposedly derived from the ER4 drivers. But it's a subway, and the iM716 look like iBuds...should go with an E4 (black) or an Ety 4P (maybe S?)

Jun 29, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 14
The iM716's are THE budget headphones in the <$100 range. $80 at Amazon when they're $200 MSRP.

Jun 29, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for all the responses everyone. What are the characteristics of all these phones? How do they sound?

Jun 29, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 14
Hey ya,

I just purchased a UM-1 a couple of days ago. I think it's fast becoming a good investment.

Previously I have the ER-4S (which I purchase in 2000). They sound great, but somehow not very inspiring. Some have commented that the Etys then to be more flat sounding when compared to other IEMs. THe UM-1 is a bit more fun to listen to.

(Note I'm not saying the UM-1 sound better than the ER-4. How can they? The UM-1 is not in the same price range as the ER-4)

The ER-4 didn't get much use as a portable phone because IMO, they are not very portable friendly. So for a long time, I ended up using the sony Ex-71 alot more than my HD600 and ER-4 as I spend more hours in the office and outside than at home - which is really ironic and sad.

So, in came the UM-1.

Firstly, in aesthetic terms, the ER-4 protrudes out of my ears and really makes me look a bit silly walking around with 2 small plugs sticking out of my ears. The UM-1s tuck into the ears neatly and has a low profile when worn in public (if you keep the cords behind you - which is how it should be worn - people can hardly tell that you have earphones on as the cords warps above and behind your ears).

Secondly, the ER-4 (at least the version I have) came with stiff cords and these really amplify the microphonics often associated with IEM phones. The UM-1 is less microphonic thanks to the softer branded cords and a neat "around the ear" design.

Thirdly, the UM-1 is easy to drive and my ipod mini can deal with it well. The etys are a bit tougher to drive.

I went jogging with the UM-1 today. Most excellent experience. I don't think I'll ever want to go back to the EX-71.
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 14
What kind of sound are you looking for?

If you're going for warmth, go for the UM1's (don't know any other adjectives for it).

If you like a "sterile," "accurate," "detailed," "analytical," "perfectionist/purist," "lightning-fast bass," "non-bass-heavy," "thin," "balanced," "ety," "upfront/in-your-face/front row," "not-as-warm-as-the-UM1's," etc., go for the iM716's.

Jul 1, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
What kind of sound are you looking for?

If you're going for warmth, go for the UM1's (don't know any other adjectives for it).

If you like a "sterile," "accurate," "detailed," "analytical," "perfectionist/purist," "lightning-fast bass," "non-bass-heavy," "thin," "balanced," "ety," "upfront/in-your-face/front row," "not-as-warm-as-the-UM1's," etc., go for the iM716's.

the latter

Jul 2, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razoramus
the latter

I see that you are going for the Ety sound signature, huh? Your price range seems to be in the $100 or less area. Definitely get the iM716's. Altec Lansing partnered up with Etymotic on this one. $80 at Amazon. $200 MSRP. It's too good of a deal to miss. ER-6i's are also good, but the iM716's are a step up from the ER-6i's sound-wise. The iM716's are supposed to be based off of the ER-4's. Also, the iM716's are cheaper than the ER-6i's on Amazon.

Jul 8, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for everyone's help. I just received my Creative EP-630s from Amazon. I am pleasantly surprised, the isolation allows me to even hear my iPod Shuffle load noises! It also allows me to get a lot of the details I miss when on the go. Haven't tried it on the subway yet. Sounds very good, bass is not crisp and a bit heavy but not bad and doesn't need a lot to drive like the KSC75s to shape the bass up, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Very satisfied for $27 shipped. Didn't want to spend much on portable phones, besides I will be receiving some E2Cs for free (just need to buy new plugs) cause my bro just upgraded to E4s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back