First High End Source - DACMagic or Yulong DAH1 mark
Dec 21, 2008 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

ajstark

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to high end audio equipment. My current sources are an iPod classic 120g and portable cd player. I would like to get my first high end source. My ultimate goal is to connect iPod-->iTransport-->DAC-->AMP. But I do not have the cash for that right now. Therefore I would like to get the DAC/AMP and hook that up to my computer. The DAC needs to have a USB and other input connections.

I am think of getting a DACMagic or Yulong DAH1 mark. The Yulong has the advantage of being cheaper than the DacMagic and having a built in head phone amp. Yulong has the disadvantage of being made in China. I am a little nervous about the quality of the Yulong and connecting it to my PC.

Which is the better DAC? If I go with the DacMagic which amp should I pair it with?

I strictly listen to classical music and I have Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones.

Thank You

Al

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 35
Not sure if it is matter but the dacmagic is probably also made in china.
Cheers,
AP

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I am new to high end audio equipment. My current sources are an iPod classic 120g and portable cd player. I would like to get my first high end source. My ultimate goal is to connect iPod-->iTransport-->DAC-->AMP. But I do not have the cash for that right now. Therefore I would like to get the DAC/AMP and hook that up to my computer. The DAC needs to have a USB and other input connections.

I am think of getting a DACMagic or Yulong DAH1 mark. The Yulong has the advantage of being cheaper than the DacMagic and having a built in head phone amp. Yulong has the disadvantage of being made in China. I am a little nervous about the quality of the Yulong and connecting it to my PC.

Which is the better DAC? If I go with the DacMagic which amp should I pair it with?

I strictly listen to classical music and I have Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones.

Thank You

Al

Hi,

Perhaps it should first be clarified that none of the equipment you are contemplating is high end - it is just entry level. I realise there are some good opinions relating to this gear, but they are either weighted in consideration of the price bracket or the reviewers lack experience with actual top end gear to know how much better top end stuff is.

Anyway, if you are aspiring to quality, for starters I would not be considering any components that perform more than one function, so that would discount the Yulong to begin with.

I think you would be better off getting an amplifier at this stage and forgetting about a DAC given that your budget is tight. That way you are not wasting your money and won't have any redundancy in your setup.

Anyway, given that you listen to classical, perhaps you could put the Musical Fidelity V-DAC on your consideration list as well. I have not heard one but judging by the reviews of new owners, it seems to be a must-audition component for classical lovers.

Dec 22, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Perhaps it should first be clarified that none of the equipment you are contemplating is high end - it is just entry level.

Would the entry level gear sound better than my iPod?

Thank You

Al

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 35
In my opinion, probably, but I would not automatically assume that. Entry level but decent quality gear might technically measure up better and sound different, but in real world listening it might not necessarily be a huge step forward. Only your ears can answer that. That is why if you have the amp, source and headphones, you can take them to a shop to audition a DAC.

Those headphones you have are sort of in the low end of the middle ground if you know what I mean - they are supposed to be relatively easy to drive. So amplification might not bring big significant benefits.

Since you seem to have the aim of hooking this all up to your computer, why not instead consider something like an ASUS Xonar soundcard, which will drive a lot of headphones extremely well directly from it's output and has a pretty decent DAC onboard too. You would then play your music via a media player rather than via the iPod and it's dock. I spend a lot of time listening to my Xonar and the sound is really very good for not much outlay. So rather than forking out for all these components, you already have a computer as transport and you are just having to buy the soundcard.

I think at this stage you need to firm up your long term plans and whether you want a really high quality dscreet setup that will happen to accept a USB input (simply as a means of transport) or whether you want to go the more economical route. It just seems to to me a little odd to be wanting to run an iPod with with it's itransport then to a DAC and amp when something like a Xonar soundcard and media player software will do all of that and most likely sound just as satisfying.

Now if you were saying things like I want a great headphone like an HD650 as the basis of a system then that changes the equation significantly.

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It just seems to to me a little odd to be wanting to run an iPod with with it's itransport then to a DAC and amp when something like a Xonar soundcard and media player software will do all of that and most likely sound just as satisfying.

Now if you were saying things like I want a great headphone like an HD650 as the basis of a system then that changes the equation significantly.

I can place an iTransport on the night stand next to my bed. I can not do that with my computer.

I was think about upgrading my headphones after I got the other components. I was think about getting the dac/amp first using it with the computer. Then getting the iTransport and better headphones later.

I like the convenience of the iPod I can have all my music on one little device. I doubt that the better headphones would improve on the SQ of the iPod. The iPod is limited by its dac.

Al

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 35
First things first...do you have a budget?

Dec 24, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 35
Neither. Get the MF V-dac. Just got mine and it sounds freaking beautiful! Even better than my Arcam cd73t. 299 puts it under the Cambridge - if you like dry and clinical sound get the Cambridge. If your into smooth, lush, and musical, the MF is your choice!

Dec 24, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither. Get the MF V-dac. Just got mine and it sounds freaking beautiful! Even better than my Arcam cd73t. 299 puts it under the Cambridge - if you like dry and clinical sound get the Cambridge. If your into smooth, lush, and musical, the MF is your choice!

You have compared three of them side by side?

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have compared three of them side by side?

No, I just haven't ever been impressed with Cambridge's philosophy of sound. don't actually know much about the other Dac, just crazy about the MF.

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which amp should I use with with the MF v-dac?

I am not sure which type of sound I like. I am listen to my music on an iPod. I like how the the iPod renders my music. What type of sound does the iPod have?

Al

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which amp should I use with with the MF v-dac?

I am not sure which type of sound I like. I am listen to my music on an iPod. I like how the the iPod renders my music. What type of sound does the iPod have?

Al

I think the ipod is supposed to be fairly neutral - however, I haven't really listened to one extensively.

Do you want an amp with portability in mind? If so, I would probably get one by Ray Samuels. I have a Hornet (which I love) and have listened to my brother's Predator extensively. I really like his philosophy of sound. He doesn't overly color his sound and he doesn't make his amps neutral/flat either. They're usually quite punchy and forward, while not being harsh and/or too bassy...smooth and prominent midrange and extended highs.

I hooked up my Hornet to my MF V-DAC and it seems to be a pretty good combo. I'm sure there are other amps out there that would be alot better too. Just my own limited experience.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #14 of 35
0404usb, good sound on a budget.
Seperate Headphone amp built in.
usb, and spdif coax/optical in/out.
SE and balanced outs(mini & TR/TRS on back, quarter inch HP on front).
Can be used as standalone DAC.

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 35
While the DAH1 is definitely just entry-level, it might make a good first step for you. It will handle optical, coax, USB, and analog inputs, so you can use it as a control center for several sources. While the DAC section is not world-class, it is better than many of the "external USB soundcards."

Finally, it has a DAC output on it that bypasses the headphone amp and volume control section of the circuit. (This provides a constant level signal.) You can buy a better headphone amp (tube or SS) later and use the DAH1 strictly as a DAC.

Some people have complained about hum and noise in the earlier DAH1s, but mine does not have this problem. On the other hand, I received two defective units in a row and had to repair a solder joint in the last one myself. Now it seems to work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back