First high-end headphones?
May 4, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
He did:

Rizumu,

Do you have the DVD edition of the 650? It is supposed to be darker with more bass.

No, I got this before it was offered on Meier's page. I have the Trackmaster. Yes, Trounce is awaiting the DVD edition so it will be interesting to see his impressions.

Oh, and I wasn't saying he didn't list his preferences, radrd. I was making a point, that it's important to know what types of music someone listens to when making a recommendation because it effects that rec heavily. IE my opinion on the HFI-650 for electronica. Please don't make me spell it out for you.

My favorite electronica phones are still the Portapros. Lots of bass yes, but without a strong beat and energy it's just not the same
smily_headphones1.gif
Welly, maybe it's a tad much. I think I'm liking the KSC-35's more for everything now.

May 4, 2003 at 8:14 PM Post #17 of 29
I should also mention that these won't be portable
wink.gif
Plus, I am a little bit sensitive to high-frequencies, thanks to Adire Audio and there Brahma lineup...

On the open earphones, how much sound leaks out?? I don't really have any ambient noise to supress, my laptop is pretty quiet, I am mainly concerned with bothering those around me.

May 4, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #18 of 29
from my research and working of the search button,

I belive the 770-Pros or the Sony V6's are the best for me. Where can I purchase these online? i'd like to simply ship back the one I like least
smily_headphones1.gif

And 119 for the headroom airhead amplifier isn't too bad at all.. I think I will pick it up too.

May 4, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #19 of 29
May 5, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #22 of 29
I've read around and have found many posts saying that the Audio Technica A900 are great cans for ~$200 that can be powered by sound cards and sound great with any type of music. I'm also trying to decide between A900 and Beyer DT250-80.

I've searched, but no one has ever compared them even though they are both closed and ~$200. Can anyone give his thoughts on how these two cans compare?

And, yes, AIM9x, I have used the search button and have come across nothing, so don't get on my ass.

May 5, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #23 of 29
I have searched a bit, and I decided to order both the 250-80's and the 770 Pro's. I will return the lesser one after testing them..
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for all the help and patience, everybody!!

May 5, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 29
What about SR-80s or SR-125s and a decent META?

You could do that for $300.

My first pair of decent headphones were my SR-80s, which I used unamplified for almost two years. Then, last month I jumped and got a META42 from JMT and a pair of SR-225s.

I honestly couldn't be happier. Of course it cost more than $300, but well worth it I think.

Quote:

I really need closed-cup headphones.. I am up late listening to music while my parents sleep and don't want to disturb them.

Unless they sleep in the same room with you, open headphones won't be a problem.

DLoken

May 5, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #25 of 29
that wasn't a rag.... i was showing my appreciation for it being there, *******!

i was just helping out the guys who were talking about waiting for a comparo between the two HFI-650s...... so you get off my ass!

As for the A900 vs the DT250-80s... I haven't heard any direct opinions either.

I know bangraman has heard the a900, the dt250s, and the HFI-650s as well and he directly stated that the hfi-650s are superior to the beyers in every aspect but comfort. He also, in the same post, gave a recommendation to the A900s.

The A900s are a highly regarded pair of cans on the forum due to their value. Although not able to compete with the true high-end cans, they still hold value with all the people here who own them. They say they're great for gaming and movies. With their strong bass and wide soundstage, I can definitely understand why.

May 5, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #26 of 29
Zylo, Quote:

I will return the lesser one after testing them..

some others have ended with two pairs of headphones after trying the same stunt.
biggrin.gif

poetic and Aim, ease up.

Aim,

keep the commentary going. I find that I now have to read all of your subscripts.
biggrin.gif

btw, everyone becomes enlightened at death (if they are awake. 90% of people die unconscious. one of the best examples is George Washington's bio where he dies consciously).

May 5, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #27 of 29
i change it about once every month, so don't worry too much about missing it.

and about easing up... I was perfectly calm until an unnecessary wise-crack was introduced into the thread. If you went to the meet back in march, you'd see i'm a rather easy going guy with rather ghetto gear, aside from the etys that I keep very very close to me, literally (inserted under my skin placed above and slightly forward from my right bicep for easy access).

May 5, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #28 of 29
just wondering why you would bother with the platinum edition. couldnt you save money on going with a standard audigy 2 or m-audio revolution perhaps and then you could spend the xtra $$$ on a headphone amp, which something like a beyer dt770 really needs.

May 5, 2003 at 11:07 AM Post #29 of 29
I really think HD580's are the best first hi-fi headphones to go with. They provide a nice upgrade path, and they're relatively inexpensive compared to other phones.

HD580 ($100-120 used)
Clou Blue ($50-60 used)
Meta42 amp ($120-150 used)

is a very impressive setup, for about $300.

Whenever somebody asks for a $100 headphone, my first thought is always the HD580's anyways, because that gets their foot in the door. After they love the HD580's, they begin to look at amps, cables, source upgrade, etc. which is really what the fun of audiophilism is about. (audiophiledom.. audiophil... well, u get the point)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back