First Hi-Fi Setup Help
Mar 24, 2016 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

paecificjr

New Head-Fier
I'm in an interesting situation. I am preparing to get my tax return and I am looking to possibly spend it on a sound setup for my computer. I have an older computer and it has a really bad audio out. However, I'm planning on upgrading to a new computer this summer, before college, and will be getting an MSI Godlike motherboard that talks up its audio system (Here's a link). Since I am living at home I want a pair of headphones to listen to my music without disrupting my family. But, I'm adding sound damping curtains so I can have some open back headphones. On top of wanting to use headphones I would like a pair of bookshelf speakers for when friends come over. I have some JBL speakers that came with a sound system my dad bought a few years ago. I could use these for now to save money. What would you recommend for an amp/dac and headphones.  

I've been looking at amps/dacs that have a usb input, posts for my speakers, 1/4 inch jack on front, and 600 ohm support. I saw the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X7 and it seems to be good for me, but I'm not sure. For headphones I have been seriously looking at some Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 600 ohm. 

What would you guys recommend?

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 13
  I'm in an interesting situation. I am preparing to get my tax return and I am looking to possibly spend it on a sound setup for my computer. I have an older computer and it has a really bad audio out. However, I'm planning on upgrading to a new computer this summer, before college, and will be getting an MSI Godlike motherboard that talks up its audio system (Here's a link). Since I am living at home I want a pair of headphones to listen to my music without disrupting my family. But, I'm adding sound damping curtains so I can have some open back headphones. On top of wanting to use headphones I would like a pair of bookshelf speakers for when friends come over. I have some JBL speakers that came with a sound system my dad bought a few years ago. I could use these for now to save money. What would you recommend for an amp/dac and headphones.  

I've been looking at amps/dacs that have a USB input, posts for my speakers, 1/4 inch jack on front, and 600 ohm support. I saw the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X7 and it seems to be good for me, but I'm not sure. For headphones I have been seriously looking at some Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 600 ohm. 

What would you guys recommend?

Used ($50?) Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (for the DAC feature)
Bravo Ocean tube headphone amplifier ($120).
Basic speaker amplifier ($30-$50, Parts-Express).

Maybe the (Massdrop) AKG K7XX headphones, I prefer them over my DT990 Premium 600-Ohm.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 13
  My budget is about $500. I listen to alternative rock, heavy metal, and rap. I am thinking that I want something neutral so I hear the music as it was recorded. 

Yesterday i scored some used Beyer T90 headphone :)
You might be able to get a used T90 off eBay.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 13
K7XX is very neutral, good bass, but not great bass. Reportedly the Bravo drives it well. Also, check out the used equipment listings. Good deals to be found.

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 13
I've never really been one for internal computer sound equipment - rather connect a DAC via USB to reduce noise. Schiit makes inexpensive USB dacs,and I'm sure you could find a Modi for resale on the forum. Fiio is another inexpensive option,but good quality. Pro-ject makes some interesting little DACs as well.

Headphone amp like Schiit Magni would serve you well. If buying used you can probably target $150 for DAC and amp and have plenty left in your budget for headphones you like.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 13
I know a young guy who recently laid out $400 for a pair of headphones, but hasn't a clue about whether he should get a DAC or an amp. So he may enjoy the new cans but his experience will certainly be limited by the quality of his source equipment. Good source equipment makes everything sound better - even inexpensive headphones will sound their best. The trick is finding items that match for quality and sound.

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 13
In your price range.

Open:

Philips Fidelio X2
HiFiMAN HE400S
Sennheiser HD600 (needs an amp--not ideal for rap or metal)

Closed:

AKG K553 Pro
SoundMAGIC HP150
NAD HP50
Oppo PM-3

Although most if not all scale with one, all of the above cans but one work perfectly fine without a dedicated amplifier/ That said, if you got one of them, you would have enough money left over for some kind of amp or even possibly DAC/amp. Good luck!

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 13
If it were me I'd grab two headphones,one for metal/rock and one for bass oriented genres.

Many headphones are too slow to handle fast music like metal.But then again with so many sub-genres of metal out there it also depends on what metal you like.
If youre into classic metal (Priest,Scorpions,Maiden,Sabbath)then a "fast" headphone isnt that necessary.
If however youre into speed/thrash/extreme metal then you'll need for speedy headphones.

Kings of metal/rock are Grados.Some other headphones are used for metal/fast music but I havent heard them.

For bass heavy music,I'd recommend a X1/X2 over an extreme basshead phone as you did mention "neutral" earlier in this thread.While I wouldnt call them "neutral" I would say that for overall musical quality+ bass response theyre hard to beat at the price point.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 13
Agree with the Grado's for rock. Detailed and fun (as opposed to just detailed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back