First headphones - overwhelming! :)
May 24, 2020 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

phatbetty

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've spent WAY too many hours up until 2am reading and comparing and searching and agonizing over my first set of good headphones. :)

I'm looking for an all around set to dip my toe in. The features I'm looking for:
- Closed back (kids and house noises)
- Will only be wearing for an hour or so at a time, so comfort is always nice but I won't be wearing for hours on end.
- My available time to listen is limited so I want to know when I commit the time that I'm listening to some quality. I don't want "cheap" ones just because I'm not using them as a workhorse.
- Wireless is a perk but not necessary.
- Will mainly be listening to vinyl via my AC Receiver, so that's the audio quality priority; but they do need to work "well enough" from my iPhone. :)
- I'd like to start with phones that don't require a dac/amp but am interested in purchasing one as I get more into headphone listening.

I understand the basic functionality and pros/cons of DAC/amp vs no DAC/amp, ohms, balanced, etc.

Music - I really listen a wide range of genres pretty regularly: country, rock, metal, pop, bluegrass, singer-songwriter, some hip-hop. I appreciate but am not hardcore into classical/jazz. Am not into EDM, Trance, or club music (maybe that translates to "I don't need them to tackle boomy bass"?) Having said that I realize some headphones reproduce different styles of music better than others. But ultimately for my first, I need an all arounder.

I'm either looking at ~$150: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm OR AKG-k371/AKGk371bt

Or jump up to the ~$300 range: something like the Meze 99 Classics?

Will one of the ~$150 phones be the right way to go as a first set, assuming I will want to buy a better set down the road? )r is it better to jump up to that $300 price range so I have room to grow with this first set?

I'm a grown up who realizes (for the most part) you get what you pay for. :) I don't want to "underbuy" and wish I had bought something "better". But I also don't have the ability to listen before I buy. And unfortunately, I just can't yet wrap my head around the idea of "what kind of sound you like: flat, V, warm, etc" - I don't have that experience yet; but would like to get there.

And two other bits:
1. I have a big head.
2. I have an old pair of Pioneer Monitor 10's that I inherited. They sound pretty good but I have zero basis for comparison - I feel like I want to start with a new set of headphones as a clean slate, so to speak.

Does all that make sense?

Thanks and I welcome your questions and expertise!

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, the 99 Noir is a great first audiophile headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back