First headphones for about 150$?
Jul 24, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #16 of 30
I have the MS1's and find that they perform well on a wide variety of music. As far as HD580's go, I had them and just can't imagine them without a really nice dedicated headphone amp. Sure, they will "work" without one, but I don't think you will ever get to their potential performance without one. I had a Headamp AE2 with my 580's, and I still wasn't satisfied with their performance. I even ran them through the headphone jack on my Onkyo and wasn't really wowed by them. They sounded good, but nothing near great. The MS1's running out of the AE2 honestly outperformed them hands down IMHO.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #17 of 30
I missed the opportunity to buy used Senn's 580 for ~150$ mainly because of the necessary cushion and cable replacement, which - by the way - is way more expensive than in the USA (original cable costs ~100$). Though I feel like regreting it now.
I'm a bit conivinced on HD595 right now, but still looking for perhaps even more interesting alternative. I looked at Audio-Technica before. They are simply breathtaking on the pic, but in Poland a price for them is ridiculously higher than abroad. It costs ~500$ in a Polish online shop, which is twice as expensive compared to amazon.com.

And the last thing, I'm using a PCI EMU 0404 soundcard. It's connected to hi-fi at the moment, but I will plug it to an amp when I buy headphones. And then comes the problem: if I go for a headphone amp instead of a "normal" stereo one, I won't be able to plug the speakers anymore.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 30
Don't know if I am missing out on something here but if you have soundcard hooked to hifi, why not just use headphone jack on hifi (I am assuming it has one) and you can still use your speakers.

Don't feel bad about missing out on 580's. The 595's are pretty sweet cans also. I have a pair and really enjoy them. I like my MS1's a little better, but the 595's are pretty sweet.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if I am missing out on something here but if you have soundcard hooked to hifi, why not just use headphone jack on hifi (I am assuming it has one) and you can still use your speakers.

Oh, indeed, but this option only comes with headphones that doesn't need headphone amp to actually "shine". Why do you like your MS1 more than HD595s? I assume they are better at your favorite music genre (i.e. rock or so)?

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #21 of 30
I give the MS1's just a slight edge over the 595's. I like a lot of guitar music (mostly blues like Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, and Stevie Ray Vaughan to name a few) and the MS1's just seem to do them a little better. I use the 595's about 90% of the time for movies. Have found anything I like better for movies yet. If you have a decent hifi, the headphone jack should do a pretty good job with either of these cans.

Jul 27, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #22 of 30
OK, so maybe I narrow it a bit:
Headphones mostly for listening and writing / producing (but not mixing) trance (plus, but less, progressive house and progressive trance).
I listen to various styles and genres of music, but if the headphones fail, I will switch to speakers.
I also game occasionally, but I don't think I need an extra headphones for that as I played computer games for about a year on an average Creative headphones for about ~30$
biggrin.gif

The budget can be extended to 200$.

Can you recommend me any online shops that sells headphones and ships worldwide?

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #27 of 30
HD595s are pretty good for that price range. I'd have to recommend the Audio Technica A900 first though. These are pretty much the only cans that I've kept for more than 2 years other than some Koss. I even bought another pair for a family member; the overall sound quality is great with awesome bass, they look good, comfy as hell ... just a great value heaphone. And you really don't even need an amp to drive these.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #28 of 30
Somehow the set I got for the 595s sounded real horrible as in microphonics was just way too much to bear....went back in 4 days after a nice break in.... thankfully amazon dint charge restockin.... I would go for the akgs.....

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopefish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595s are pretty good for that price range. I'd have to recommend the Audio Technica A900 first though. These are pretty much the only cans that I've kept for more than 2 years other than some Koss. I even bought another pair for a family member; the overall sound quality is great with awesome bass, they look good, comfy as hell ... just a great value heaphone. And you really don't even need an amp to drive these.

Can you recommend me an online shop that sells them and ships them worldwide? ATH-A900 costs 500$ in Poland, while the AD model costs 50$ less. Pricy as hell and I think it's also a bit overpriced comparing to US prices, because of its rareness in my country.

Aug 13, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by inabstracto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you recommend me an online shop that sells them and ships them worldwide? ATH-A900 costs 500$ in Poland, while the AD model costs 50$ less. Pricy as hell and I think it's also a bit overpriced comparing to US prices, because of its rareness in my country.

Give www.thomann.de a try. They have a selection of Audio Technica's. In my experience they are fast, reliable and have good customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back