First headphone system?/ Sen HD 800
Oct 20, 2011 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

toddnkaya

New Head-Fier
I am planning on selling my speakers to set up a headphone system.
I am planning on buying the Sennheiser HD 800 based on reviews. I will be plugging into a Jolida 1501 RC integrated. This is 100 watt tube buffered in the pre/ and solid state out. I will use an Oppo  970h for my transport.
I would like to buy a small headphone amp later down the road, but this is what I plan on to start with.
Would appreciate any thoughst or suggestions, especially from those with HD 800 experience. But anyone can feel free to chime in
with advice/suggestions.
Thanks,
Todd

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 17
I'm not saying you can't, but I would not recommend jumping straight into the high-end with the HD800 considering you don't even know if you'll like the sound. There are a lot of phones to be heard up to that price point, many of which are comparatively cheaper, that might meet your fancy.

Obviously, my opinion.

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 17
I don't have any experience with the Jolida—does it even have a headjack? I can't find a version of it that does. 

I've never had much luck with using a stereo power amp as a headphone amp. The HD800s are picky with power. I would think you'd be better off with a dedicated headphone amp. I've had great luck with HeadRoom products and don't feel the need to look elsewhere for now.

Without listening to that combo, I can't say for sure. The Jolida might work great for the HD800s.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 17
You can't go for an HD800 and cheap out on an amp. You WILL be disappointed. You need to go all the way with those headphones to justify their price tag. Since you asked for a "small" amplifier I recommend the Violectric V200 which has a very small footprint, but it happens to be one of the best amps for the HD800.
But actually, I recommend going for some mid-fi cans to start with. That way you can get to hear different sound flavors and get a better feeling for what your ears really like. HD800 are very neutral sounding, which isn't for everyone.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 17
If I had to revisit the HD-800 I would first go balanced.  I would probably go with the Balance Ultra Desktop Amp ( BUDA ) because I am familiar with how it sounds.  It of course does not have a DAC so I then use the CENtrance DACport to feed the BUDA.  That is the only way I would reconsider keeping a pair of HD-800's.  I think balanced they sound much better.  It moves the sound stage closer and they begin to sound airy and slightly more up front instead of terribly laid back.  The only way I could enjoy the HD-800 prior to a balanced setup was to turn the volume up to where it just started to hurt my ears.  This made listening to the HD-800 a chore rather than an enjoyable experience.

The cost of said system including the cans:
$3748.90

You probably have one of the best sounding headphone systems out there at that point and upgrading will be difficult.  Perhaps someone out there has this setup or could at least comment on how the HD-800 sounds through the BUDA?

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 17
I have to recommend the rig in my signature. Like Aizura said, if you're new to the headphone world I think the HD800s will be a little too neutral (or analytical?). I hear so many people talk about the "veil" of the HD650s, but those are the HD650s of yesteryear—they've since changed. I have the new version with the Cardas upgraded cable running into the HeadRoom Desktop amp/DAC. I find them magical. Better yet, that whole setup will cost you only as much as the HD800s by themselves (~$1,500).

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for the great suggestions!! I really would like to keep the budget for an amp/dac to under $300
for now. I don't need to get the absolute best sound out of the cans right now, I just want to listen to music and have it sound wonderful and amazing! I am hoping to upgrade to a more respectable amp/dac down the road.
I do like a more nuetral and clean presentation. I listen to wide range of music. I enjoy singer song writers, Ryan Bingham,Norah Jones, to alt
country, The Wood Brothers, Son Volt, to Radiohead and Gomez. I do listen to some Jazz as well. I own some classical and Opera as well but not much.
I am looking for an amp/dac that I can connect my cd player(Oppo 970h), computer, and i phone/i pad/i pod too.  Not sure if most desk top or portable
amps can connect to all of these.
Thanks,
Todd

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 17
If your budget for a $1500 headphone is $300 for a DAC/amp then I would seriously reevaluate your need for the Senn HD800. Round the total to $2000 and you can come up with a very solid system that will balance itself out and operate at it's best. A rig is only as good as it's weakest link.

For example, I had the AKG K701, the Gilmore Lite and DacMagic. It was a nice rig and they all balanced out.

My current rig, the HD800, beta22 and Cary DAC are also a good match. You could substitute any number of good amps like the Woo WA6SE. My point is though you will get a much better return if you spread the money throughout the system.

Maybe the Senn HD600, DLIII and M^3 would be something you might consider.

My $1.39 of advice.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 17
YOu could try other high-end headphones that have a good rep around here such as LCD2s with something in the Burson/Schiit/Any Synergistic Amp really. and It would run you about $2K and giv eyou much better sound than skimping on an amp and going for an HD800, which from many people's experience is really picky.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 17
I agree with the above comments, in regard to spending mega bucks on a reference class hp and linking them to a $300 dac/amp system is probably a poor decision.  You don't mention if you've even auditioned the HD800s.
If you like the neutral Sennheisser sound signature, then go for one of their lower priced models, you won't be disappointed.  Keep the overall system balanced in terms of audio capability.
That's just my opinion.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 17
If you have heard the HD-800 and like the sound then the HD-650 will be right there along with it.  As suggested above you could get the Headroom Desktop Amp + HD-650 for the cost of a pair of HD-800's.  The HD-650 and Desktop Amp were somewhat built for each other and the combo would be quite pleasing.  If you have not heard the HD-800 and HD-650 extensively then I suggest the DT990 ( 250 Ohm ) or AKG Q701 paired with the Desktop Amp.  I can guarantee the audio quality out of that setup will be amazing.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 17
 I appreciate all of your informed responses!!  I have never auditioned these or really any high end headphones. I am not sure where I would be able to living
in the Pittsburgh area. I will look into it though. I also knew these type of sensible responses where coming my way. I have been an audiophile for a few years, and have put together a pretty nice system. I understand the logic of building a well balanced system and the weakest link in the chain. I also understand the notion of not putting $ 50 tires on a Porshe etc.
I have wanted these headphones since they first came out. I have read many positive reviews. I just feel like they will be the right fit for me, and offer me room to upgrade in the future.
Can anyone recommend an amp/dac that is in my price range that I can enjoy and have fun with until I can upgrade down the road ?
Do desktop amps need a pre amp? Thanks!
Todd

Oct 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 17
I can understand you just wanting to own the HD800s no matter what—I feel that way about the T1s. I've wanted them since day one. But I feel like you're going to be disappointed listening to them through a $300 amp. 

If you want to throw advice to the wind, check out the NuForce HD or HDP. They're roughly in that range and I hear good things, though I've never tried them out. They'll also give you a built in DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back