First headphone purchase
Nov 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

OrcaFish

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time buying any sort of decent headphones for myself.  I own some older Sony MDR v300 model and was given the Bose QC2 a couple years ago.  I really want to step up the quality and do not need noise cancellation.  I have been reading a lot and obviously the ATH-M50x is a stand out with its popularity but I have been looking into the Ultrasone HFI-580 and the Beyerdynamic Custom Pro One's as some people have said they are on par and have more bass than the M50x. I am open to any over ear model however as i am so new.

I listen to a wide mix
-Led Zeppelin
-Disclosure
-Skream
-Crystal Castles
-Enter Shikari
-Barenaked ladies
-Blink 182
-random hip hop like Juicy J
-Debussy
-Whitechapel
-anything really

I would say I listen to primarily electronic recently but I listen to enough Indie/Hipster bands that are sometimes only acoustic that I need something balanced but when a song is supposed to have big bass I gotta have that sub bass, boom, kick excited feeling cause I would say I lean towards being a a basshead.

My price range is around $150-200 but cheaper is not out of the question
I will not be using an amp anytime soon just through my iphone and computer which has some Dell Maxx Audio 4 software on it
closed back is a must
It will be primarily for home but I will travel on occasion with them
my source is usually the 326kbs or w/e from spotify premium, although i have been looking to acquire FLAC audio files in the future

if you guys could help me out with anything it would be much appreciated, I am looking to purchase before my flight home for the holiday season thanks so much and happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Hmmm I have the m50 and they fit your needs they are fairly flat but have a good bump in the bass

I seem to have lost count how many people say the M50 is flat or even close to flat. Oh, and they're not very comfortable.
OP should look into something like the Takstar Pro 80. If OP is into IEMs, I have more than a few recommendations for that.

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 11
I am not opposed to IEMs, I own a cheap skullcandy set which are pretty bad so I will check into them

Thanks for the input as to the sound and comfort tbg, I will be wearing them for a few hours at a time so comfort is huge for me

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 11
  I am not opposed to IEMs, I own a cheap skullcandy set which are pretty bad so I will check into them

Thanks for the input as to the sound and comfort tbg, I will be wearing them for a few hours at a time so comfort is huge for me

Do you like to feel the bass, or just hear it? I mean, there are a lot of great, bassy IEMs (check out my Brainwavz S5 review as an example) in  the current market today, and your aimed-at price range leaves you open to an overwhelmingly long list of options.

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 11
Hear it for sure, I have auditioned some of those ULTRA bass headphones and the Beats Pro and it was just too much

I think i wanna stick with over ear though for the time being as they will be used primarily at home

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 11
  Hear it for sure, I have auditioned some of those ULTRA bass headphones and the Beats Pro and it was just too much

I think i wanna stick with over ear though for the time being as they will be used primarily at home

Well, I use my IEMs primarily at home (mostly since I don't go outside often). 
Okay, so apparently you aren't a true basshead (which basically means bass for the sake of bass). 

Since you listen to a lot of genres (from electronica to Led Zeppelin to Claude Debussy? That's almost like me), you're going to want a balanced headphone with some bass kicked in. Well, I'm pretty sure the Takstar Pro 80 will feet your needs sound-wise, but I'm not so sure about the comfort part. If you take comfort mostly over everything else, there are few that could beat Beyerdynamic's cans. Maybe the DT660 may be worth giving a try. I'm not sure baout the sound, but they say they're some of the most comfortable cans out there.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 11
I think the M50x would be too flat, as it doesnt have the bass impact, it's quite balanced and very clean and resolving for being so relatively cheap, and i think its plenty comfortable. My top recommendations for under $200 would be:

UE6000
Sony MDR-1R
Creative Aurvana Live!
Takstar Pro80

All these have more bass and impact than M50x with the UE and Sony having a muted treble in comparison, and the CAL and Takstar having just a bit less treble sparkle but a more natural and full treble, the M50x can be a bit thin sounding. And all of them do mids better, albeit not as clear and resolving. And yes i own all of these, my favorite of the bunch is the Takstar for pure sound quality. However if i could only have one of these to use as my only headphone itd be the UE6000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back