First Headphone Ideas
Jan 15, 2015 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Oceanic

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone. Thanks in advance for your support.

I'm interested in purchasing my first set of headphones. After weeks of research, I've come to the conclusion that Audio-Technica's ATH-M50x might be best for me. It seems like they're praised all over this forum, but of course, you have some people claiming there are better headphones under $200. Which is just over my budget. I had the opportunity to try on Bose QC 25 recently and to be honest, they don't sound much better than the Apple EarPods I've been using since 2012. Kind of shocking considering that $300 price tag on those things. Noise cancellation isn't anything I need or want though.

So what do you guys suggest? Would the M50x be good starter headphones? Definitely an improvement over the Apple EarPods, right? I should also mention that I mainly listen to rock (acoustic, hard, post-) and metal (alternative, doom, heavy, post-, sludge) genres.

Thanks again for helping me out. I know these questions can get tiring.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 8
I haven't heard the m50x but the soundmagic hp150 is a great headphone at $180 on amazon right now. Have any idea what type if sound signature you'd prefer? Also do these need to be closed or would open work as well?

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 8
I haven't heard the m50x but the soundmagic hp150 is a great headphone at $180 on amazon right now. Have any idea what type if sound signature you'd prefer? Also do these need to be closed or would open work as well?

Closed, preferably. I'm still learning about sound signature (and headphone jargon in general) so I can't give an exact answer on that yet. I'll look up your recommendation and see what other people are saying.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 8
It's hard not to suggest the ATH-M50X. They do a lot things well for a good price. They are a bit V-shaped and the bass & treble is a fun sound that most new head-fiers find appealing - especially when compared to stock buds. They also look good, they are durable and they isolate very well. And, of course, they are at a great price point for people looking to buy their first serious headphones. However, they aren't perfect - far from it. They aren't the bass cannons that satisfy people comparing them to Beats, and they aren't the perfectly neutral headphones that hardcore audiophiles might want. The ear pads make your ears sweaty, and they aren't as lightweight as cheap $10 headphones.

They certainly are not the only game in town. The Sennheiser HD598 is an open headphone with a smooth, easy to listen to sound and velour ear cups that are very comfortable. The Shure SRH840 is closed, with punchy bass and detailed highs. The AKG K612 Pro (which I have not heard) is open and said to be quite neutral. There are many others.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 8

For $180, the Soundmagic HP150s are an excellent deal. :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Closed, preferably. I'm still learning about sound signature (and headphone jargon in general) so I can't give an exact answer on that yet. I'll look up your recommendation and see what other people are saying.

If your not sure what type of sound you like than I'd think that would make the hp150s a good option. They're very balanced with good bass and treble extension. They have a lively sound and are among the most versatile cans I have tried. They're also the second most comfortable headphones I've used except for the mad dogs which are just otherworldly. Good luck!

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 8
It's hard not to suggest the ATH-M50X. They do a lot things well for a good price. They are a bit V-shaped and the bass & treble is a fun sound that most new head-fiers find appealing - especially when compared to stock buds. They also look good, they are durable and they isolate very well. And, of course, they are at a great price point for people looking to buy their first serious headphones. However, they aren't perfect - far from it. They aren't the bass cannons that satisfy people comparing them to Beats, and they aren't the perfectly neutral headphones that hardcore audiophiles might want. The ear pads make your ears sweaty, and they aren't as lightweight as cheap $10 headphones.

They certainly are not the only game in town. The Sennheiser HD598 is an open headphone with a smooth, easy to listen to sound and velour ear cups that are very comfortable. The Shure SRH840 is closed, with punchy bass and detailed highs. The AKG K612 Pro (which I have not heard) is open and said to be quite neutral. There are many others.

Great post. The Shure SRH840 is another set I've been looking into. As for your comment about the M50x not being a bass cannon - I'm not really bothered by that.

You guys are awesome. I'm going to check some of these out at my local Guitar Center, assuming they have what I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back