First headphone amplifier
Sep 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NormaJean

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've been lurking for a while around here and well... I have a question
biggrin.gif

I just bought grado sr225i, right now I'm driving them trought a e-mu 0202 and I was wondering if a little dot mkIII would be a good step up from what I'm using right now.

If so what would be the best way to play my music trought the little dot?

I've got an xfi sound card on my computer and the e-mu... I know that the little dot only has an rca input. I've got 1/8 inch and optical outputs from my x-fi and 1/4 inch, 1/8 inch output on my e-mu 0202

Am I looking at the right amp or would I be better of with a usb dac amp?

Thanks for the help

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 6
LD Mkiii would be a bad choice - OTL tube amps play best with high impedance phones. I think the emu is relatively good as a dac, but you don't have that many options for a good SS amp in your price range. Some ideas would include the compass or if you want to go up a notch an M3.

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 6
You could also try a Head-Direct EF2 - it's better suited for low-impedance 'phones than the little dot, and has an inbuilt USB DAC. You could see if you preferred the internal EF2 DAC or the emu, and if you ended up liking the EF2 you could ditch the emu altogether.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 6
I think that the suggestion of a solid state amp is great, but hang loose on these threads for a few weeks and watch the "For Sale" listings. I fear that this is a "buyer's market" and many folks who are jonesing for HD800s and Teslas are selling wonderful older equipment for a pittance. If you time some good thread searching with a good offer, you might find yourself sitting in the catbird seat. G' Luck.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the contributions

Since i play guitar I was instincly drawn toward the warm glow of tubes :p

I'm having a look right now at the different option you've offered and I'll be browsing trought the fs section for the next weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back