First Headphone Amp for DVD/CDP
Jan 8, 2008 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yokochamas

New Head-Fier
I'm buying a Denon DVD-2910 as my new CDP, and because it doesn't have a headphone jack, I now need some guidance in listening to it on headphones. It's my first player without a headphone jack, and I know almost nothing about DACs and headphone amps despite research. $50 (or less) - $80.

Here's what I'm thinking...
APEX AHA4 Four Channel Stereo Headphone Amplifier

I get something similar to this, with a stereo input, and use a 1/4" Stereo to dual RCA cable to connect from the CDP. I noticed on a higher end Gilmore amp there were L/R RCA inputs, but on cheaper amps I see only the 1/4" stereo input, so I'm wondering if the converter cable, or even the 1/4" stereo input on an amp would reduce quality over an amp having the L/R inputs.

Further, I'm wondering about the nature of a headphone amp at any grade. Will a $20 headphone amp degrade soundquality of the CDP? Aside from this, I've read that soundquality on a player with a headphone jack depends partly on the parts quality of the headphone jack itself, so I'm wondering if a cheap headphone amp could have a headphone jack of worse sound quality than would be comparable to a headphone jack on a player without out one, were it to have one.

Thanks for any guidance.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 8
The opamp, capacitors and other electronic components in that amp are going to have much more of an affect than the cables and jacks. I would stay away from those 4-channel headphone amps - I think they are intended for cheap DJ or pro sound use. I think you would be better served with a CMoy in a tin - check eBay - or maybe something used from the buy/sell forum. Am I correct that you do not have any other audio gear other than the CDP? No receiver, integrated amp or preamp that might have a headphone out? I wouldn't expect to put a super cheap headphone box on a nice DVD player and NOT affect the sound quality...

Jan 8, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 8
You're correct that I have no other equipment. When I first started thinking about what to do here, I thought first of a receiver, because of the headphone jack along with an EQ, which I am interested in also. However I assumed I couldn't get a receiver in my price range.

I don't know what integrated amps and preamps are exactly, and I'm admittedly fatigued by the research. I have seen the cmoys on ebay, but I wasn't sure of the sound quality. The 'Audiophile Caffeine' one wouldn't degrade soundquality from the CDP?

Also, while I have my stated budget, I can go higher with a little more time. I was just thinking about being able to listen to the CDP as soon as possible, but I will be perfectly willing to go higher if I have some specific guidance.

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Jan 13, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks so much for the suggestions; I think I'll go with the C&C Box + (or XO...). I'm still wondering though, comparatively, will this amp or one like it be diminishing the CDP's sound quality much or at all? It may be a complex question, but I'm thinking in generalities.

Thanks again.

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 8
If you want to check out another cheap, no frills amp alternative that will give you good sound, check out this seller:

High-Fidelity Headphone Amp Amplifier with OPA2134 IC - eBay (item 280186005728 end time Jan-20-08 10:32:25 PST)

It's very low frills but the sound out of this thing is massive. You can give him a lower offer and work it out, he's very reasonable.

Now as far as cable, you could look at signal cable, they have a couple of analog to mini cables that would get as much sound to your amp at that price that you can get. Here's the link:

analog mini
Analog Interconnects

silver mini
silver mini

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Also, the sound quality is usually upped by an amp, not degraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back