First Head Fi post to thank everyone for reducing my wallet!
Jan 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zillagto

New Head-Fier
Seriously though, I have done what I can to help the economy because of this place.

I first came on here to get some advice on IE's for travel.  Ended up with Westone 3's and they are great.  Good sound and nice for on the plane.  I liked better than the Bose QC's that my wife uses.

Simple enough, then I am on my way.... or so I thought.

I kept visiting.  Lurking.  Learning.  But most of all.... WANTING!  Really, I couldn't believe this crazy world.  I knew headphones from some Realistic and Koss my dad had and thought they were nice and fun.   Ha!

So I dipped my toe in with the Grado SR80.   Wow, this thing is nice.  Loud, clear and quite a bit of fun.  "Fun" would be a word I would come to regret.

Well, one thing leads to another as it always does and I find myself buying a pair of Sen 598's.   Ohhhh, those are nice and fun.   Ugh, "fun" again.  Better be careful as I am really enjoying this new hobbby (at this point I was still calling it that as I couldn't admit to my disease.... more on this later of course).  Hmmmmm, maybe an amp or dac or something.   Let's start small and see what happens.  FiiO E6 to start and that was "fun" and so an E7 next.  Oh, that is quite nice.  Fun even... ugh.

Hmm, the AT 50 gets some love so let's try that.  Wow, I like that.  Hey my daughter likes it to.  That found itself in her room along with the E6.  Well, at least she didn't want Beats!   But, also good excuse to get another pair.

At this time I also picked up a White Stripes Christmas Bundle.  Record Player (crummy crosby in cool color scheme), record holders (7 and 12 inch, very, very cool!), vinyl, misc stuff and of course a set of head phones.  They are Master Blaster in the cool red, white and black coolers.  They are surprisingly fun and very unique.

Just prior to this I had put a chumby in the kitchen and hooked it up to a pair of Audio Engine 2's on the small stands.  As you can see my music fetish was already in place and headphones were simply a tipping point that had no return.

With the AT 50's limited by my daughter I got myself a pair of Grado 325i's to see how the Grado family went as you moved up.  They are great and I find I do like the "Grado sound", although I am also learning that I am not as picky as some.  I seem to like the adventure and the fun of finding new sounds as much as anything.

Well, that seemed good but needed to put headphones somewhere so a couple of Woo stands (2x in silver) showed up to help out.  Along with this I upgraded my Audio Technica LP60 to an LP120.  I know, not audiophile but I like the look and I like the sound.  So things look nice.  I had bought a Music Hall 15.2 integrated to go with my Onyx bookshelf speakers.  Sadly another part of headfi was lurking.

The vintage thread caught my attention and I was soon buying a Sansui DB9090 and the Music Hall and Onyx were moved to a different room.  The Sansui was joined by a pair of Paradigm Studio Reference 100 towers.  They match the Sansui great.  Special thanks to Skylab for his posts and I ended up buying from a guy in Chicago who had done a complete refurb.   They are amazing together!

Well, recently a couple more Woo stands were ordered along with some AT A900's, VModa's and Koss DJ 100's.  A Shure 840 is on the way and a Denon d5000 is looking to be coming along.  A ZO2 is here and the JDSlabs mint box amp is here as well.  I added Maverick D1 and A1 to my office with a pair of Audio Engine 4's so I can go headphone or no headphone while working the computer (an also new, to match or course.....ugh, an HP Touchsmart that is quite fun).

I know I need to add pics and I will do so.  I can also do some impressions if people want.  I just figure I should jump in to warn those who are wondering how much damage this can do to your wallet.  The answer is that it can be never ending and I really think that is fun!

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Hello fellow Wisconsinite.  I'm now in Georgia, but I grew up in Green Bay. 

Welcome to the forums.  Your wallet will certainly get emptied often.  I came here as a lurker a few years ago after a google search led me here.  I had no intention of getting into this hobby, but now I'm knee deep in it.  I've spent countless dollars on equipment.  It's all fun and great.  No regrets at all.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 4
That post is great. Before coming here I owned a pair of Shure SE310's. Since I only used them with mp3's on my portable, I never thought much of buying headphones for home' I was more of a speaker guy. Then I heard a pair of my friends DT770 Pro's. Damn him, I was happy before and had more money. Thousands of dollars later I am happy again, but still looking for more.

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 4
I've been lurking here for a few years before I formally registered, having just discovered how to set up CMSS-3D Headphone properly and looking for some headphones that really worked well with it. I eventually settled on the Audio-Technica AD700, which did what I hoped...but then upgraditis set in, presumably from looking at this place too much. I was thinking AD900, then DT880, then K701...

I chose none of those and ended up with a Stax Lambda setup instead. Now I'm REALLY hooked, and my wallet's been thinned in an unexpected way (the expected way being more computer parts and other gaming equipment)...but my ears don't regret it at all. I must be particularly lucky to find my ideal sound and comfortable design without having to go through hundreds of headphones first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back