First glimpse of Grado SR100's
Nov 17, 2001 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
I received these cans yesterday from our fellow head-fier, vka. First i would like to point out the cans came in well packed and they are in excellent condition. On to a quick review:

I am comparing these heasdphones to my SR60's, which i did a A/B comparison. I used my A/V receiver, Yamaha RX-V493, i didnt use any specially gold tipped cables, or other crazy stuff. So this is a basic comparison. I used DMB: crash as the comparison.

Sound quality:

On the 100's, they sound more rounded in sound, less sharp highs, some punchy (!!!) bass. They are also not as loud as the 60's and the 100's actually distorted when i raised the knob to 4, the 60's did not. On track 2 of crash, the intro fade-in to "two step" was used specifically. The guitars are pronounced as is Daves vocals. However, everything has a more laid back approach, when i threw on the 60's they were much louder and sharp (ouch). Overall, the 100's dont offer a drastic difference over the 60's. Like i said above, they do sound "rounded" and are less fatiguing than the 60's. I wore them for about an hour and didn't have the urge to take them off at all. They are quite musical cans!

Build: More sturdy than the 60's....and heavier! There's a steel (?) bar in the headband that holds it out more extended, which makes it difficult to bend to shape my head (kinda pear shaped...nice eh?). Even though they were heavier i did find them very comfortable, and barely noticed the added weight. However, without having the ability to bend them to hold on snuggly, they do tend to slip a bit if i move around, or bend down to grab something.

Overall: I like them, they are different in sound, but not drastic, i wonder if this is the same as the 125's, which i assume replaced these 100's. Also, i'm sure i would notice some changes in sound, or more well pointed, what the 100's really sound like with a dedicated amp. Plus these are rare since they are the only model that have red lettering on them...woo hoo!

In conclusion: me happy!

Any thoughts are welcomed!

George

Nov 17, 2001 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 11
Congratulations on your acquisition, George! I also have the SR-100s.......and yes, the red lettering is very cool.
As for bending them, I found that it can be done, but it does require some force.......much more than the newer Grados. Don't be afraid to put some pressure on the band, that steel bar is pretty damned strong. If you overdo it, I've found it easier to bend them outwards. Much less pressure is needed.
I also agree with your sonic assessment of these 'phones. They are very smooth and more laid back than newer Grados, yet they still maintain the detail that Grado is famous for. I'm glad you're happy........you got a nice set of headphones there!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2001 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Plus these are rare since they are the only model that have red lettering on them...woo hoo!

I'm not quite understanding that one since my HP-1s also have red lettering on them...
confused.gif

Nov 17, 2001 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

I'm not quite understanding that one since my HP-1s also have red lettering on them...
confused.gif

Oops, i stand corrected!
biggrin.gif

George

Nov 17, 2001 at 3:12 AM Post #9 of 11
Hi everyone, thanks for the comments.

Joelongwood, i also forgot to mention the difference in the soundstage...it seems to have more depth as well compared to the 60's. I can't wait to get a amp to see how different these may sound. I wonder how these compare to the 125's (i assume their replacements?) and why these sound different compared to the the new latest line of Grado's. Just curious for some history on these headphones.

George

Nov 17, 2001 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 11
"They are also not as loud as the 60's and the 100's actually distorted when i raised the knob to 4, the 60's did not. "

The reason they are not as loud is because they are MUCH harder to drive than the SR60. You need a decent headphone amp to hear the SR-100 at its full potential without distortion. Aye, to me, the SR-100 is very smooth and relaxing, great for laid back listening.

Nov 17, 2001 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 11
Hey vka, i agree, i think its time for a hwadphone amp
smily_headphones1.gif

JMT, were you at?

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back