First GENERATION SR-60s?
Jul 8, 2003 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xander

The XanMan is back!
I just got a chance to listen to a new pair of SR-60s, that have been well broken in (almost a year of use, from my friends brother.)

Canman was not lying when he said he thought the older Grados sounded better . The newer Grados have what seems to be more elevated treble, and not nearly as "smooth" sound. The older SR60s appear to have a more luscious sound overall. Infact, it's so different, that I can't really recommend the SR60s, not that they are bad, but because I have no experience with them, in that my pair sound so different than the newer ones.

Maybe it was just 6 years of break-in? Or maybe not. Strange things.

Jul 8, 2003 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 6
When you say older, how much older? I have no experience with the SR-60s but I have a year old pair of SR-80s and I wonder if this phenomenon is the same with them. Hmmm.

Jul 8, 2003 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Maybe it's not older vs. newer but just variation within the production line. Perhaps it's equipment difference. I have a 5 year old pair, but have not ever compared them to a new pair. I'm not saying there is not a diference, but it seems strange that their would be unless Grado changed it's manufacturing process at some point.

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 6
The SR60's I own which have very many hours on them, and are 6 years old or so...sound pretty well identical to a newer pair which were broken in. How far back are you saying?

It could be variation in qc. Maybe your original SR60's had extremely well matched drivers say closer to .05 or something incredible? Versus say now where they are .5 or whatever.

Jul 8, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 6
My first SR60 was bought in January 1994. It sounds the same as the current SR60, all things being equal (pads, source etc). The stock original small donut pads make it warmer and fuller sounding than the current stock pads, but the basic phone is the same.

Jul 8, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 6
The SR-60's that Xander is speaking of are at least 6 years old, maybe even 8. My brother's SR-60's that I directly compared them to on the same equipment had lower sensitivity, muffled midrange, and brighter treble response.

I bet there are noticable quality differences in Grado's production. An audio review is subjective in the first place, but imagine what good it is when two of the same products don't even sound the same!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back