First full sized?
May 18, 2006 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
My only good headphones at the moment are my Shure e5c IEMs (Soon to be for sale cheap *cheeky grin*), and I feel the need to try something full sized for a change.

I was planning on staying with IEMs and getting some UE-10 Pros, but from what I've heard of the new Shures, that would be a bit of a waste of money. That leaves me with quite a bit of money left to add to my full sized cans budget.

I'd say theres an upper limit of $1000US, but I don't really want to spend that much if it's not really worth it.

The only two I've been able to try so far are the Grado SR80s, and the much more expensive Sennheiser HD650. Of the two, I much preferred the sound of the Grados, although they didn't feel very comfortable!

I've been looking at the higher end Grados, but I have the huge problem that I won't be able to try them before I buy, as there is nowhere near me that has them, and I can't travel easily.

I don't want to buy a cheaper model and be disapointed, but without hearing them, I don't know whether the more expensive 'phones like the RS-1 and the new 'huge ones' are worth the extra money.

Any advice?

May 18, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Start on the lower-end? Alessandro MS-1 is a really nice set of cans for $100. I don't find them at all uncomfortable. At first my ears would by a little angry after being held against my head by the supra-aural pads, but a few weeks of consistent daily use and it's not even an issue at all. I don't know if I could handle bowls but the stock comfies are fine.

May 18, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 10
$1000, comfy, Grado,.. the new GS-1000's maybe? That would be great Grado starter can, err maybe not.
rolleyes.gif

edit: MS-1's are probably a solid pick, if you actually liked SR-80's more than HD650's.

May 18, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Go up a little to the sr225, get them used. You won't be disappointed.
Spend $150 or less, and if you like them sell them and get RS1/2 and the resale value is good on them, if you just use them for a month or 2, good luck

May 18, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 10
I 2nd the 225s. You can find them used for around $140 here and are definitely a step up to the MS-1s IMO.

May 18, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
Great, I like the cheapness
icon10.gif

cheapness and HeadFi do not go together.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
No, I remember!

I first joined looking for something slightly better than my stock headphones, and left 2 weeks later with the E5cs!
tongue.gif

You are well on your way to the poorhouse.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back