First experience with my new turntable.
Dec 10, 2004 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DigiToast

New Head-Fier
After much debate on how to get started with vinyl, I decided to buy a Music Hall MMF-5; it arrived today. I set everything up like the manual said and the first thing I played was Kate Ryan - Désenchantée (12" Single). . .

All I have to say about the sound is wow! The bass that I heard was tight, controlled, and unlike anything my system has produced until now. Vocals and highs were clear and stunning too. After playing through the record, I decided to play the cd-single for a comparison. Needless to say, the music off the cd didn't come even close to sounding as good as its vinyl counterpart.

Right now, I have Sarah McLachlan's Touch playing. It sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm now a believer in vinyl, can't wait to finish listening to the rest of my ~30 singles/albums, and am *greatly* looking forward to expanding my collection.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiToast
After much debate on how to get started with vinyl, I decided to buy a Music Hall MMF-5; it arrived today. I set everything up like the manual said and the first thing I played was Kate Ryan - Désenchantée (12" Single). . .

All I have to say about the sound is wow! The bass that I heard was tight, controlled, and unlike anything my system has produced until now. Vocals and highs were clear and stunning too. After playing through the record, I decided to play the cd-single for a comparison. Needless to say, the music off the cd didn't come even close to sounding as good as its vinyl counterpart.

Right now, I have Sarah McLachlan's Touch playing. It sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm now a believer in vinyl, can't wait to finish listening to the rest of my ~30 singles/albums, and am *greatly* looking forward to expanding my collection.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha.......Right now I am listening Sarah McLachlan's Touch either! What a conincidence!

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Touch is a great album, and I'm glad that I was able to pick up a M- copy with M- sleeve for super cheap.
biggrin.gif
One of my local shops had a great deal on it, and everything 25% off to begin with. I grabbed Touch amongst many other gems. The album is so airy and beautiful though.. everything is so articulate, and although I try to stay away from terms like these, it has a huge soundstage - it's just sounds so 3d...

Dec 10, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 8
i am going to be into vinyl soon and i am wondering how critical set up is and is it doable by a regular joe like me - im thinking of a vpi scout later on but im a bit intimidated by the set up part..

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Setup is kinda critical, but not perhaps as much as some of the more obsessive vinyl nuts would have you believe. Just like a car, it will work fine as long as it is vaguely in spec, but then there are those who like to tune and tweak their babies to get the last ounce of performace out them.

The basics are not really rocket science. Sturdy base to put it on, appropriate cartridge tracking force, and reasonably close cartridge alignment (with a protractor you can buy or download for free). Set antiskate to around 80 percent of your tracking force, and you should be in audio nirvana. If you buy from a dealer, they should do all this for you anyway.

Only then, if there's something you are unhappy about with the sound do you need to mess around with things like vta etc. But like everything, you learn as you go...no biggie

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 8
Setup from opening the box to playing music took me maybe 30 minutes total, and this was the first time I've ever had to do such a thing. With the cartridge (presumably) prealigned, all I did was follow the manual, adjust a few dials, attach a counterweight.. and voila, I was spinning music.

Dec 11, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 8
well that is very encouraging - i need to set aside about $2000 for a phono stage and tt complete with cartrige and everything .

Dec 11, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
i am going to be into vinyl soon and i am wondering how critical set up is and is it doable by a regular joe like me - im thinking of a vpi scout later on but im a bit intimidated by the set up part..

When my Rega P3 arrived I had it set up by a pro. It cost me $20 (it should've been closer to $50 but the shop just opened and I've spent a few bucks there so it was a favor). He is a real vinyl nut. He is a VPI dealer and has a Scout sitting there tempting me everytime I go to there. Back to your question, I just felt it was worth the extra money, even at $50, to have it done right. I suspect that may not be an option for you as there probably isn't a shop in your area.

DigiToast, congratulations on your new vinyl rig! The sound you get from good vinyl is as good as it gets (I haven't heard reel to reel, yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back