First European Head-Fi Meet in Berlin! Help Needed with Organizing!
Apr 28, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

sepinho

Member of the Trade: HEAD SOUND
The public opinion for a European head-fi meet seems to be biased ever-so-slightly towards Berlin.

So let's do this, folks! I'm willing to organize, if there's at least two more people willing to help. I really think we should be meeting during IFA 2010 from Sept. 3rd thru 8th - alledgedly the world's largest CE trade show.

There's plenty of great Hifi stores in Berlin, such as PhonoPhono, who I would talk to about hosting a meetup. We should also tour IFA itself to check out the latest and greatest in gear. And then there's companies such as Teufel or maybe Raumfeld that I would kindly ask for a tour (even if the latter aren't strictly headphone companies..).

So, what do you guys say? Anybody interested? I know I'm rather new around here, but I'm dead serious about organizing.

Apr 30, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 41
Thank you for stepping up, as a new member willing to organize a European Head-Fi meet in Berlin.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure who EddieE refer to in the Cast Your Votes For the European Meetup thread, but from what I understand there are other locals willing to step up as well.

It sure would be nice to be able to attend IFA 2010 while down there, but not sure how much attention it will draw people away from the head-Fi meeting. It has its pros and cons.

Let the planning begin.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sure would be nice to be able to attend IFA 2010 while down there, but not sure how much attention it will draw people away from the head-Fi meeting. It has its pros and cons.

Let the planning begin.
bigsmile_face.gif

I was assuming that most people would spend a few days in Berlin anyway. We could have the headfi meetup itself on Saturday and then check out the IFA on Sunday (or vice versa, of course..)

Still, I haven't heard of anyone willing to help organize thus far. I'm willing to talk to local hifi stores and/or manufacturers about hosting our meeting, but it'd be nice if somebody were to help with coordinating the headfi crowd or setting up the IFA safari.

I've just recently organized a press conference. That's a lot of work, not something I could set up in my spare time all by myself.

May 4, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 41
I have yet to receive any support whatsoever, which is kinda sad really. Is it because I'm new, or is the Berlin-Brandenburg head-fi crowd just not willing and/or able to help?

I would be willing to talk to hifi companies/stores about hosting the meetup itself, but I would really appreciate some help with coordinating the attending head-fi crowd.

I was assuming that most people would be spending at least the weekend in Berlin anyways. That leave us with enough time for both a more personal head-fiers meeting and a hifi safari at the IFA itself.

May 4, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 41
One step might be to rename the thread topic - making it more obvious that this is a European Head-Fi meeting.
A (hopefully) larger international meeting, not just a smaller local one.

May 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 41
I'd have to check who stated an interest in organising from Berlin, but it may have been sepinho himself.

Well done Sepinho for stepping up, any logistical help you need that can work without me being in Berlin I am more than happy to offer. If I can be of assistance, PM me for my email.

I agree with krmathis that changing this thread title would help as I didn't spot it at first. How about:

First Pan-European Head-Fi Meet In Berlin! Can You Help?!

And see if a few Berliners come out of the woodwork.
wink.gif

May 6, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 41
I can probably go to Berlin a day in advance and help set up the venue for the meet. It would be nice if we could send out a mass PM interest check to all the EU headfiers, because I think a lot of people don't see this.

edit: if we have the date set, maybe we can ask jude to have anybody logging in from an EU IP address to get a notification?

May 6, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 41
My plan/idea was to ask a local hifi store to host the meeting itself. That should save some of the trouble of setting up the venue and ensure there's plenty of power sockets for everybody's gear. But your help's of course appreciated, Feanor!

As far as date is concerned, I'd still suggest IFA weekend (Sept. 3rd thru 5th) for reasons mentioned in my original post. Again, this is just my idea, it'd be nice to have more experienced meetup organizers chime in. I'm a professional PR consultant and I've organized quite a few events and press conferences. But this is different, seeing how there's no (discernible) budget to work with and attendees will (hopefully) come from all over Europe, meeting in Berlin for the first time. I have no idea how many people and how much equipmentI to plan for, for example.

May 9, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 41
Fingers crossed that more local Head-Fiers step up - helping you to make this meeting a reality.
Not sure if there is anything I can contribute with.

May 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 41
The question is - how many people do you need help from? Would 40-50 people attend a European meet - just guessing?
That would require a room, some tables and some chairs. So three-four people can do a lot - if you, sepinho, can help find a place for us to be. 

If a few vendors will attend they will probably help themselves with what they need to show their gear. I would be able to arrive the day before the meet and help set up whatever needed - so let me/us know what we can do 
regular_smile .gif

May 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #15 of 41
I have no idea how many people to plan for. I guess the location shouldn't be too much of a problem in Berlin. But things like co-ordinating the participants, getting the prerequisites set up, finding a hotel and possibly arranging for a discount, and - if there's interest - organizing an IFA trip are way more work than it seems. So far, I have but one kind offer of (local) help. That's surprising - to put it mildy - considering there's interest in a European meet-up. But I won't let that discourage me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back