First entry level audiophile headphones?
Mar 15, 2012 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

G3LesPaul

New Head-Fier
Hello all, new here!

I have bee recently doing research on a new pair of headphones. There are a couple things I am looking for and maybe you can help!

1) Headphones that are considered "entry level" for audiophiles. Over the ear for better sound quality
2) Need to have a short cord and closed-air. I am mainly using these for walking, gym, and other activities, not just for my computer.
3) $200 Max

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 9
Hm, well...they're not over-ear, but given the activities you've listed, I think that maybe you should take a look at the V-Moda M-80.  They sound very good for an on-ear pair of headphones, they have a short cord and are semi-closed...but they still isolate fairly well.  They don't do particularly well in the wind though, but it's not a huge issue...

I'm just not sure if a full-sized pair of over-ear headphones would be good for things like the gym.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Hmm   Good suggestions above.  Considering you want to use them while being active (walking/gym) I would recommend on-ears rather than over-ear. They are typically lighter and have a short cord. Easier for a MP3 player to drive too.  I hate to say this but my first suggestion is a headphone that isn't available until May 1st.  The Phillips 'Citiscape Downtown'.  It's getting some really good reviews so far.  Good sound quality, light weight, excellent isolation, short tangle-free cord, cell phone mic etc.  AND THEY ARE ONLY $100.  

If you can't wait, I would also recommend the HD 25-1 or the V-Moda M80 / V80.  I've had both.  I preferred the M80's sound signature to the HD 25-1's, but I think to HD 25 Isolated better.  Both are close to $200 but I bought my M80 used from amazon for about $160.  

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Edit: Post deleted, reread OP and realized IEMs were NOT the discussion....
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for all your responses guys! I have looked at all of them and Id say the $100 "downtowns" look very nice "They are purple!' and are a very good price. But my other headphones just died so I dont know if I can wait!

I liked the look of the V-Moda but they are a tad bit expensive for me. Not sure yet!

Just a quick question, is there any audiophile phones that are in-ear or do those not exist haha

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for all your responses guys! I have looked at all of them and Id say the $100 "downtowns" look very nice "They are purple!' and are a very good price. But my other headphones just died so I dont know if I can wait!

I liked the look of the V-Moda but they are a tad bit expensive for me. Not sure yet!

Just a quick question, is there any audiophile phones that are in-ear or do those not exist haha

LOL, NOW you ask that after I deleted my post with all the IEM notes!
mad.gif

Re-posting some of what I wrote earlier, with a budget like that you could get some nice IEMs that definitely fall into the audiophile realm.   It depends a little on if you're looking for a flat/neutral or fun response.   On the flat/neutral side you could do worse than Hifiman RE-0 for just about half the budget.   They're a relatively flat/neutral headphone, light on the bass with a small treble spike, but other than that, neutral and very high performing for the price.  They do really like amping so you'd want to get a small battery powered amp for it such as Fiio E10, E11, etc, however they ran find out of my iPod Touch without an amp and with a little bass boost applied to flavor.  They're suitable unamped, but shine much more amped.  They're dynamic so they have a port hole in the back unlike armature IEMs.  That can be a negative since it hinders isolation, but could be a plus for your application since you're wearing them on the go and they let you hear your surroundings, even if just somewhat.

If you're looking for a "fun" headphone, UE headphones work well.  SuperFi 5 has a fairly clean v-shaped curve, and the TripleFi 10 has a very detailed sound, but with a deep V curve, meaning treble is bright and fast, bass has good extension and is pretty tight, but mids can be very recessed and distant.  That is the extreme, but a good definition of a "fun" headphone. They're an ergonomic disaster, but with some 3rd party tips they can be comfortable and can be had within your budget.  Again they don't need an amp to sound good, but adding an amp brings the soundstage and detail out further, and tightens the bass a little.

Klipsch x10 can fit in that price range if you look, but I have durability concerns about them.  They're great cans with excellent mids, but the wires do seem very frail to me and are non-replaceable. 

There are a lot of IEM options in that price range.  The Hifiman is unique at its price point (everything Hifiman is, including their $1200 planar magnetic full size phones), and is one of the few neutral dynamic IEMs.  TF10 and x10 used to compete at the very high end of universal IEMs until coming down in street price.  The "high end" universals are now dominated at the $500 price point by Shure SE535 & Westone W4, the last real jumpoff point before >$1000 custom molded units. 

I like my TF10 when I want a fun sound (and it works great for brighter classical chamber music due to the very crisp over-extended treble, though they're most commonly associated with rock & pop), I love the sound of my x10, but I rarely use them for fear of wearing out that fragile cable.  My main IEM is my SE535 since warm, detailed mids are  the closest thing I can get to my HD650s on a tube amp on the go
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back