first eargasm. thanks head-fi (hd595 appreciation)
Apr 21, 2006 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

koop

Head-Fier
Well... after almost 2 months of reading reviews and posts on forums like this, I finally bit the bullet and went ahead and purchased some HD 595's. My previous headphones were a pair of v600 Sonys I got from best buy, and I always thought they were decent. But... well... I just can’t really find the words to really describe the experience I’m getting from listening to these compared to the Sonys.

Opened the box, laid down, been listening to them for about 2 hours straight... enjoying every minute. I haven’t been so relaxed and satisfied in a LONG time. Songs don’t sound the same, basically have to listen to everything over again... I can’t wait. Been playing a lot of spoon and the shins, its ridiculous :p anyways I just felt like I had to share my satisfaction with everyone.

Happy listening

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 32
You need an amp.

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 32
you need a Singlepower MPX3.

Actually, welcome to the club. They are fine cans and sound good amped or unamped for the most part. They will lead to more expensive vices though. You have been warned.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundscape
yeah, the 595's improve quite noticably with an amp...much moreso than the 555's from all i've read.
the 595's will prob be my next can, i think it'll pair nicely with the LDII
eggosmile.gif

Not trying to pick on you, bud, but I think this statement is a lot of what's wrong with head-fi (not to imply that I think head-fi is bad, of course, but I see this as a consistant problem): supposition stemming from others' opinions, restated as fact. You haven't tried the HD595 with an amp to see whether they're "noticably improved," but you're saying it here like canon. I'm sorry for singling you out, but this is the most blatant example I've seen lately and it's easy to point out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally, out of my M-Audio Revo 5.1 (which does have a dedicated headphone amp built in, but not a particularly powerful one - it operates off of the +/-5V supply line, and likely only draws about 3V RMS max), I notice no difference unamped versus amped with the HD595 (the HD650 is a substantially different story, so it's not that I can't tell the difference at all). It's a very efficient headphone, so if you're not running from something mega-underpowered you'll probably be fine.

Either way, it's a great can, isn't it? Really something special. I can't wait for the next generation headphone from Sennheiser, because I have this feeling it's going to be based on the HD5X5 technology, not the HD650 (which, let's face it, is still a "new and improved" HD580).

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 32
no offense taken, i completely understand where you're coming from. but i did not intend to make it sound like i knew that to be true for a fact myself. i suppose you are right, and i should've worded that differently.

i guess i should've said: in all of the posts that i have read on the subject, people have said that, in their opinion, that the 595 improves quite noticably with the amps they used, while the 555 did not. maybe the impedence of the cans had something to do with that.

Apr 22, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 32
the impedance of the 555 and the 595 are the same. and as for an amp, doubtful that ill ever get one. i told myself ide make a big purchase (230 is alot for me) and leave at that. ive read to many horror stories of peoples purchases getting out of hand when it comes to headphones. ill be happy with these for some time, hell i had those v600's for almost 4 years.

actually now that i think about it, alot of people dont seem happy here. something could always be just a little bit better, where does it end? stop thinking and start enjoying your investment.

Apr 22, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by koop
ti told myself ide make a big purchase (230 is alot for me) and leave at that.

Are you sure of this statement? Will you stand behind this quote in a year?
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Not trying to pick on you, bud, but I think this statement is a lot of what's wrong with head-fi (not to imply that I think head-fi is bad, of course, but I see this as a consistant problem): supposition stemming from others' opinions, restated as fact. You haven't tried the HD595 with an amp to see whether they're "noticably improved," but you're saying it here like canon. I'm sorry for singling you out, but this is the most blatant example I've seen lately and it's easy to point out.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's too bad that Soundscape's statement was true, thus perfectly valid
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
You do not need an amp. I tried my HD595 with the RSA Hornet, Xin Supermacro-III, and HeadRoom Micro DM. No difference whether amped or unamped from my laptop.

I'm very surprised to hear that.

When I had the HD595 (50 ohm), I was stunned to hear how promptly the 'phones reacted to every change of op-amp in my Zero Audiocraft amplifier. Between OPA2227, OPA2134, LT1361, AD8056, AD823, AD8620, and 2x BUF634, the differences, not just in frequency balance but particularly in sonic colors, airiness, bass depth / energy / tautness, and overall degree of finesse, were instantly and unmistakeably patent.

Apr 22, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I'm very surprised to hear that.

When I had the HD595 (50 ohm), I was stunned to hear how promptly the 'phones reacted to every change of op-amp in my Zero Audiocraft amplifier. Between OPA2227, OPA2134, LT1361, AD8056, AD823, AD8620, and 2x BUF634, the differences, not just in frequency balance but particularly in sonic colors, airiness, bass tautness and overall degree of refinement, were instantly and unmistakeably patent.

I think that he has an Echo Indigo, which has a decent amplifier built in.

I also use an Echo Indigo DJ with my HD595, and I've tried amplifying with the Xenos 3HA and the 2006 Total Bithead. The only significant benefit I can hear is that the bass extension improves with the amps.

Apr 22, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cclragnarok
I also use an Echo Indigo DJ with my HD595, and I've tried amplifying with the Xenos 3HA and the 2006 Total Bithead. The only significant benefit I can hear is that the bass extension improves with the amps.

I had a Xenos 3HA too, and I just couldn't like the sound it produced with the HD595, aseptic and unexpressive, thin, with weak bass. That's why I got rid of that amp. The Zero, though a minimal amp for itself, did the HD595 much more justice, finally letting its "passionate" soul out.

Apr 22, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 32
Just to add to the confusion, I heard not difference between an amped/unamped HD555. How is the HD555 so different from the HD595? They're fundementally the same headphones with the same impedance, etc... Maybe they just are.

Apr 22, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
It's too bad that Soundscape's statement was true, thus perfectly valid
wink.gif

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back