First DIY, CMOY:BB
May 15, 2008 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

funniecow

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new here, and I'm not exped in the field of DIY items. I saw in the FS forums these Altoids-cased amps up for sale, and I thought "damn those should look like a fun project". So here I am inquireing about them.

I was planning to try my hand at a DIY amp:

this one
, it's he CMOY:BB
Then jgonino and jerrygp gave me this site How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier

And I was wondering:

Should I order parts from that site?
Do you guys have parts laying around that you'll be willing to donate?
Is this a hard build?
Is that site the best priced site around? Meaning is this the cheapest possible site there is?
Is this a good "starter/first time" kit?
If this is my first time soldering, what should I practice on?
How do you read those instructions?

Thank you, sorry if this was a bother.

May 15, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 28
The CMoy is a great first DIY project. (NOTE: Don't build this amp if you think you will save money) Building a CMoy is all about learning the basics of DIY audio electronics. While you can buy a ready-made CMoy for less than you will spend to build your own, you walk away with a certain degree of pride with a host of newly developed skills. You should enjoy the whole process from purchasing tools, reading schematics, selecting components, placing orders, and assembling the amp as an exciting learning experience.

There are tons of CMoy threads on this forum that you should read. I also suggest you digest everything at Audiologica which should answer many of your questions.

May 15, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 28
Oh man, I thought that honestly no one would answer to the thread becasue it would be just be a bother. Uh, how can building it be more expensive than buying an already made on? What should I try to build while trying to save money then? I was eyeing the pv2p and the mini3 but I thougth that I shoudl practive on something more "simpe", and since the altoids can is small I can, I guess display it? I imagine that I'll be estatic upon completing this build. But should I just try out with a different project?

May 15, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 28
I started with the Cmoy build using Tangentsoft.com as my starting point. Check it out.

May 15, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by funniecow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, how can building it be more expensive than buying an already made on? What should I try to build while trying to save money then?

Until you figure out what you are doing, you end up spending mass amounts of money on shipping, extra parts, etc. AND, people like me sell off their CMoys for the price of parts because we like to build them, not because we are trying to make money.

Chances are, your first Cmoy will cost $20+ in parts and $10 in shipping. You can buy a lot of Cmoys on ebay for less than that.

May 15, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 28
Uh, I'm thinking that I'll build the one on this site How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier
it looks like the site is really helpful, and the easiest to fallow around. But do you know where's the best place to order parts from? And what I should practice soldering on? What's the most likely part that I'll need spares for?

Because on juniperlater's post he/she said that my first Cmoy will cost me $20-30 in all. But this site says $50ish bucks. Can anyone refer me to the "cheapest" possible site for components, I don't want to cheap out on the Cmoy capabilities because I want to be able to use it from time to time, and I guess admire my own work? Do I sound conceited?

May 15, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 28
Jseaber's site is for a Bass Boost Cmoy. It shouldn't cost so much. Even my bass boost didn't cost that.

If you stick to the basics, it shouldn't cost more than $35 shipped - even the first one you build. In fact, I say go ahead and buy enough parts for two because the shipping doesn't go up very much and it might cost you less than $30 each.

I use either Digikey or mouser.

Quote:

Because on juniperlater's post he/she said

He. And I said it would be $20+ in parts (probably the high twenties).

May 15, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 28
I reiterate my initial statement that building a Cmoy is not about saving money but learning about DIY audio. If saving money is your prime obective, buy one off eBay or here on Head-Fi. I have three perfectly functioning CMoys built from instructions on Tangent's website. If I charged for parts only, they would cost you $40+. PM me if you want one.

May 16, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

I'm not really looking towards, buying, I'm, I guess trying to do a DIY. It looks fun, and it'll be something to do after finals. Do I have to buy the parts seperatly or can I just buy a bag that has everything in it? So a good Idea is to buy TWO kits?

I'm doing the same thing.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Uh, I'm thinking that I'll build the one on this site How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier
it looks like the site is really helpful, and the easiest to fallow around. But do you know where's the best place to order parts from? And what I should practice soldering on? What's the most likely part that I'll need spares for?

Because on juniperlater's post he/she said that my first Cmoy will cost me $20-30 in all. But this site says $50ish bucks. Can anyone refer me to the "cheapest" possible site for components, I don't want to cheap out on the Cmoy capabilities because I want to be able to use it from time to time, and I guess admire my own work? Do I sound conceited?

Yep, it's how I got started with all this DIY nonsense, and it's just so great when you wire up your first amp and turn it on for the first time. Best feeling ever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and read Tangent's guides on choosing the right components, but do the actual picking yourself and order each part yourself instead of buying a kit (and I don't think such a kit exists anyway...?). All part of the fun IMO...

May 16, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, it's how I got started with all this DIY nonsense, and it's just so great when you wire up your first amp and turn it on for the first time. Best feeling ever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, and read Tangent's guides on choosing the right components, but do the actual picking yourself and order each part yourself instead of buying a kit (and I don't think such a kit exists anyway...?). All part of the fun IMO...

Agreed.

May 16, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #13 of 28
Thanks guys, I can't wait, sadly I'm working with a radio shack soldering iron. Hopefully it won't shatter on me. I love the vid when they mention radioshack "it's not evil or anything, but yeah"

If, it's possible would you guys mind posting pics of your Cmoy, and what's the differance between your own build and the one on Tangent's guid? I don't understand how you can fit $300 worth of parts into a mint tin.

May 17, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 28
Come on man... not to be a jerk, but this is one of the easiest things in the world to do. You are taking it too seriously. Just like tangent says, it tells you about using cut-off resistor leads:
Quote:

You could clip some of your caps' and resistor's legs early to get started. Later on, you'll have all the lead trimmings you'll ever need.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't worry, you don't need a video - this isn't rocket science.

Just order what is here: Part Lists and Suggestions.

If it says "alt", don't buy it. If it is optional, you decide.

MOST of the fun and learning of Cmoy is to build your own BOM (bill of materials). Don't steal from yourself the growth that can come from this.

*EDIT*

Also, I get nervous about projects turning out too. You just have to work through it. I know it seems like - "Well, if I spend $50 and it doesn't work, it is all for naught."

But it isn't exactly like that. I didn't get it right until I had rebuilt the amp twice (one of the reasons I told you to get enough parts for two and more than enough reason to get a DIP socket).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back