First DIY cable project for Hifiman HE-400
Jul 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Wheezy

New Head-Fier
I just finished my first DIY project to build a cable for my Hifiman HE-400s and wanted to share the process and the results.  I purchased wire and parts from Double Helix Cables.  I chose their DHC Peptide 24 gauge OCC litz wire.  It is comprised of dozens of individually enamel-insulated wires.

Here is a photo of the parts.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 13
My first task was to braid the wires together.  I purchased 20 feet of wire to make an approximate 5 ft cable.

I tried braiding some junk wire by hand and I don't have the dexterity for it.  I kept losing track of the wires as well.  I purchased a Kumihimo disk from a Michael's store for four bucks, it's a foam disk with numbered slots that hold and keep track of the wires for you.  I attached two zip ties to hold the bundle of wires in place.  You need some weight on the bundle while you're braiding, I just hung a pair of scissors on the end. 

The process was pretty easy.  I used these instructions:

3. With the number side of the disc facing up, place the fold through the
center of the Kumihimo Braiding Disc so the free ends extend toward you.
Attach the wires to a work surface to maintain even tension as you braid.
4. Turn the disc so #32 is at the top and #16 is at the bottom.
5. Adjust the wires so there is one wire on each side of a dotted number. (A)
6. Braid the wires together according to one of the patterns below.

Basic Round Braid
A pretty, braided cable to string your favorite pendants and large-hole beads.
1. Follow “Getting Started” to prepare four strands that are two and a half times
longer than the desired braid length. (40” for a 16” braid)
2. Remove the strand between 16 & 17 and insert it between 30 & 31. (B)
3. Remove the strand between 1 & 32 and insert it between 14 & 15. (C)
4. Turn the disc counterclockwise to the next dot (#8 on top, #24 on bottom).
Now the wires are at new numbers but their positions on the disc look the
same. (D)
5. Repeat the braiding pattern: Bring the lower left strand up and across the
disc to insert it to the left of the two upper strands. Bring the upper right
strand down and across the disc to insert it to the right of the lower strand.
(E)
6. Turn the disc counterclockwise one quarter-turn, then repeat the braiding
pattern. Repeat this step until the braid reaches the desired length

The mantra I kept repeating in my head was 'bottom to top, top to bottom, pull some slack, turn'.  You want to keep some slack on the wires so they're arched a little and not totally taut.  I didn't keep track of numbers, just followed that basic routine.  You want to do this in a distraction-free environment so you don't lose your place.

Here's a poor photo of the process part-way in.

When I had the length I wanted I held the top end with another couple zip ties and then slipped the Y splitter on.  I put in some cotton fabric pieces to take up space inside the splitter and finished it off with some adhesive as DHC recommends. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 13
The remaining task was to terminate the wires and finish it off with some shrink tubing.  I twisted the two pairs of wires after the Y splitter as best as I could, this wire seemed to want to come apart easily. 

I stripped the ends and tinned the wire.  I've read that this kind of wire is a nightmare to work with without a solder pot so I got an American Beauty mini pot off ebay and some bar solder to use with it.  The tinning went easily, just dipped the wires for 4 or 5 seconds until I saw the residue from the burned off insulation bubble up to the surface.

I soldered the 1/4" plug first, kept track of the wires with a multimeter.

The 1/4" plug was easy to solder, the Hifiman connectors were more difficult.  The wire was just too fat to slip into the connector so I had to trim some of the insulation off the wire so that it was just able to fit in.

I added shrink tubing to all connectors and the cable was done.  I didn't get any photos of the soldering process but here's the finished result.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 13
The big question is how does it sound?  The headphones sound great with this cable but switching back and forth between it and the stock cable I can't tell any differences.  I've tried paying close attention to certain individual qualities of many different songs like soundstage, bass, clarity, highs, etc and I can't hear any difference.  I should say though that this is just my experience and my hearing is far from perfect.  Perhaps the difference between the custom cable and the stock one would be more apparent with a higher quality dac & amp as well.

The cable is noticeably lighter than the stock cable, only weighs 48 grams compared to the 112g stock 10 foot cable.  The headphones themselves are so heavy though that the cable weight doesn't really factor into comfort.

Also with using 20 ft of wire the finished cable ended up being right around 5 ft long total so not much length was lost due to braiding.

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Wow. You sir, did not receive enough credit for this. I will sub to this thread and use it as a guide for when I purchase full size, open cans for myself and want to make a custom cable. That looks gorgeous, and so professional. How much did it cost you?

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 13
Thank you for this.  You make it look so simple I have to try now.  My stock HE-400 cables are finally giving me enough grief that I'm looking to replace.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 13
This is a good guide - but it would be better if there was a guide as to how to solder the SMC connectors - where do the + and - ends solder? Same with the quarter inch jack. I would like to try making my own cables but am a little bit of a noob on what kind of SMC's to get, and how to terminate the wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back