first DIY cable need help:)
Jun 12, 2005 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

revo_909

Head-Fier
hi everyone, this is my first attemp of making my first DIY cable. i will be using canare microphone cable for this project. i notice that this cable has kind of mesh under the PVC jacket, i gues this is to reduce EMI? the question is what to do with them, do i need to connect them or just leave them as is? thanks for the help.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 5
some people ground through the mesh, some just cut it flush to the rubber, and send everything through a proper wire.

im personally a "wire-er" for most comon cables. i just leave the mesh unconnected.

you may also like the idea of grounding one end of the mesh, and cutting the other end flush with the rubber. mind you that the cable becomes directional at that point.

Jun 12, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by revo_909
hi everyone, this is my first attemp of making my first DIY cable. i will be using canare microphone cable for this project. i notice that this cable has kind of mesh under the PVC jacket, i gues this is to reduce EMI? the question is what to do with them, do i need to connect them or just leave them as is? thanks for the help.

I do not connect the mesh and have had no problems.

Jun 13, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 5
To reduce emi-rfi, twist mesh into a wire and then solder the mesh at "source end" to negative terminal and at "amp end" just cut mesh off flush with the rubber and wrap some teflon tape around it to conceal it. By doing this you are constructing a directional cable so don't forget to mark the direction of cable. I just constructed a diy starquad mini-to-mini using this technique and it works really well.

Jun 13, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 5
sysplit11.jpg

sysplit31.jpg

sysplit21.jpg

sysplit4.jpg

sysplit2.jpg

the mesh is the shield, I cut it flush to the sinulation, I solder the blue wires to the ground and the white wires to the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back