First DAP
Dec 23, 2005 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Blooze

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks first of all for a helpful correction of my terminology.

Ok, I'm finally gonna get a DAP for myself after Xmas. I've got CMOY's I use from my computer at work and home, and a Millett for my CDP at home, so now I need something portable and I need an excuse to make a MINT.

Some criteria:

Good sound - most important
Supported formats - I don't really care as long as it doesn't sound like 128 kbps ass. I like the sound of the lossless stuff I've
heard.

I don't need photo capability, voice recording, movie playing or any of that other stuff. This is soley for music. I have other equipment for the other needs that would do the job better.

A line out would be great, unless the headphone out noise is very, very low.

At least 5 GB storage.

Decent battery life--but, it would get put on the charger daily.

And last, but no least in importance--less than $300.

I've looked through a lot of threads, but most are just talking about all the extra features the units have. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dec 23, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 12
Zen Micro fullfills all of those requirements. The headphone jack output is not very noisy, I was listening last night, at a volume level of 2, in otherwise total silence, and could not hear a hiss coming from the headphones. (portaPros)

ZM Does not have line out though, and I do not think it supports lossless. I put 320 kb/s vbr mp3 on it, and it sounds good. Also, it has decent battery life and the battery is removable, so you can swap an extra one in for more battery life. And, when the battery dies after 18 months or so, you just buy a new battery instead of sending it back to the manufactorur.

hope that helped.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 12
Since you don't require a lot of bells and whistles and just want good sound, I think the Zen Sleek would be a good choice. Just over $200 for 20GB of storage and offers good sound in a relatively small package.

eggosmile.gif

Dec 23, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #4 of 12
You should also consider a Sony DAP (HD5, A3000, A1000) , they have what you ask for: Line Out, Good SQ, good battery and the newest, the A3000 is just under 300 euros in Europe, so probably even less if it comes out in the VS. Plus they don't have what you don't need: Color screen, broad format support, pointless extra features such as a calendar or games.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 12
Cowon iAudio X5.

It has 20GB of storage, FLAC, WAV, OGG, WMA up to 256 kbs, and MP3 up to 320 kbs format support.

The regular version has a battery life of up to 14 hours, and you can get the L version which has up to 35 hours. The sound quality is excellent. It has several different effects, and a 5 band user customizable equalizer.

It does have photo and video capabilities, but you don't have to use them.

From http://newegg.com the regular X5 is $250.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc
Cowon iAudio X5.

It has 20GB of storage, FLAC, WAV, OGG, WMA up to 256 kbs, and MP3 up to 320 kbs format support.

The regular version has a battery life of up to 14 hours, and you can get the L version which has up to 35 hours. The sound quality is excellent. It has several different effects, and a 5 band user customizable equalizer.

It does have photo and video capabilities, but you don't have to use them.

From http://newegg.com the regular X5 is $250.

I've seen a lot of talk here about the X5 and was wondering about support for their units?

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooze
I've seen a lot of talk here about the X5 and was wondering about support for their units?

Mine died from a power surge. Cowan sent me a new one really fast. I felt bad cause it wasn't their fault, but I couldn't just eat $300. I've read that if your unit has scratches and dings they may give you a hard time. I know creative will do the same.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
I've read that if your unit has scratches and dings they may give you a hard time.

wow, what a poor choice of words...

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
I've read that if your unit has scratches and dings they may give you a hard time.

I'm married, no problem there.
biggrin.gif

I plan on buying some kind of hard case or shell if one is available for the unit I end up getting just to minimize any damage.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 12
if u dont want an fm tuner, color screen, you can save money and get the M5 by iaudio.

also if u dont mind a bit of a thicker player, and enjoy a very veyr long battery life look into the 'L' versions of these players.

the batter lasts for 30+ hours audio.

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
if u dont want an fm tuner, color screen, you can save money and get the M5 by iaudio.

also if u dont mind a bit of a thicker player, and enjoy a very veyr long battery life look into the 'L' versions of these players.

the batter lasts for 30+ hours audio.

I'm not too concerned with size as this will be used mainly at work or in the car. I don't foresee a lot of walking around with it type of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back