First DAC project
Dec 15, 2008 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dude_500

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to build an external DAC for my computer, I've never done one though and there are quite a few designs online. I'd like to keep it to the $100-150 price range at the max, and have it sound absolutely as best as possible. An amp is not needed in the circuit because I have built a strain tube amp.

Any suggestions here?

Oh and I have no experience with surface-level mounting or etching, but I'm not sure it's at all possible to avoid these two things. Optimally I'd like to use socket chips and do it on a generic project PCB. Can this be done?

Dec 15, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 12
At about $25 in parts, the Bantam DAC seems like an affordable way to try out surface-mount work and it sounds just great.

Take your time, check your part orientation twice or thrice before soldering, get the right tools (good tweasers, magnifier, decent soldering iron -- nothing extravagant, just adequate) and use lots of liquid flux. There are plenty of other threads on this topic with pointers to good tutorials.

I'd never soldered surface-mount parts before my first Alien a few months ago, and while it was a mess, the parts turned out to be remarkably resilient. My more recent builds area a good deal tidier. But all have worked.

BantamDAC

The new Gamma-1 DAC is in your price range and the SMD work is probably a bit easier, but at over $100 in parts I'd recommend practicing on a Bantam first.

Good luck!

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 12
Two questions...

1. If I were to go with the Gamma-1, which seems to be around $150 in parts, how would that compare to a pre-made non diy $200-250 DAC?

2. I assume I'd want to use SPDIF out of my pc if possible. My onboard has SPDIF, but does the sound card quality no longer matter because it's a digital signal, or would I still want to get an audigy or some higher end board just to drive the SPDIF?

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 12
I tried some SMD a little while ago. I don't think it's is as big a deal as people make it out to be...but everyone has their comfort level.

The gamma-1 sounds like a good fit for your price range. The scott-nixon DAC kits also fit in there, but I'm not sure how good they are. The only DAC's that I know of with pre-soldered SMD chips are the Twisted Pear offerings...but are out of your price range.

Do you listen to HD content or just standard CD-quality 16/44.1? If you dont listen listen to anything over 16/44.1, then USB will work well. I think(?) usb is the preferred format.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 12
I listen to 44khz FLAC, however I'm considering ripping my vinyl library to 96khz if I ever find the time. I'm definitely going for the highest possible quality though.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude_500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two questions...

1. If I were to go with the Gamma-1, which seems to be around $150 in parts, how would that compare to a pre-made non diy $200-250 DAC?

I, and 2 others, compared it to a known commercial DAC around 300$, and even another DIY DAC around 300$ too, and it hands down beat the commercial DAC, and is in the same league as the other DIY one.
The verdict was unanimous.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, and 2 others, compared it to a known commercial DAC around 300$, and even another DIY DAC around 300$ too, and it hands down beat the commercial DAC, and is in the same league as the other DIY one.

If you feel comfortable doing so, how would you compare it to the popular sound cards like Juli@ and Emu 1212m?

Dec 17, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 12
I have no experience with that product...but I can say from reading that the general concensus around here seems to be that internal soundcards are inferior to standalone DACs. One of the reasons being that they depend on the PC's noisy power supply and are subjected to lots of stray EM fields inside the PC case. I can say from exprience that internal soundcards that I owned, even aftermarket ones, can be noisy but perhaps someone who has owned that specific product can chime in.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 12
I built the Scott Nixon TDkit (equivalent to his TD2, I believe) before he stopped offering it. It sounds delicious. I'm sure his SS stuff sounds pretty good too.

When you do the chips, I found that using WAY more solder than I actually needed, then sucking it off with soldering braid was the best way to go.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no experience with that product...but I can say from reading that the general concensus around here seems to be that internal soundcards are inferior to standalone DACs. One of the reasons being that they depend on the PC's noisy power supply and are subjected to lots of stray EM fields inside the PC case. I can say from exprience that internal soundcards that I owned, even aftermarket ones, can be noisy but perhaps someone who has owned that specific product can chime in.

This is true, but there is another reason to use an external DAC.

An internal soundcard will use the computer's clock for timing. Unfortunately the internal clock is not accurate. I'm not talking about the time down in the corner of the screen
tongue.gif
When you see that your computer has an 800mhz bus speed, that means it sends out 800,000 little time signals every second. The parts of the PC use these signals as their trigger to perform their next operation, such as decoding the next segment of that audio file. The problem is the time between each of those timing signals is not steady. The time between each one isn't the same, so the tiny little pieces of your music get sent out to your headphones irregularly. This is called Jitter. I can't find the link that explained why it is like this, but I know it was intentional for a reason. Maybe someone else knows.

The advantage of using an external sound card or DAC is that it can create it's own timer and have very accurate timing. Some folks swear they can hear the difference. I've never tested it myself, so I'm not sure I can hear it. I suspect the difference in the amount of jitter is pretty small, but I have no idea what threshold is audible.

Getting it out of the noisy PC case is more important, but you could always shield the soundcard as well. This may reduce the EMI and RFI, but it won't help with the jitter.

You're on the right path. Build yourself a DAC. Not only will you get a better audio signal, you will have fun doing it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is really good to hear ruZZ. I am glad you like it, and now look forward to building it all the more. I would be curious to know what you compared it to, but it would not effect my desire to learn how to build it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back