First Custom IEM
Feb 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Joelc87

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all.  I need some help choosing my first custom IEM.  Over the years I've sampled several different headphones, sources, amps, and universal IEMs, and after this I still have no idea what to choose.  I think primarily because I'm not sure exactly which IEM is supposed to sound like what.  Currently I'm using the UE-900 with my iPhone 5, occasionally with my Ray Samuels P-51.  Before that I was using the UE Triple.fi 10's with a custom silver cable.  While I liked the triple fi's for their punchy fun sound I didn't like the mids or their overall V-shaped sound as much as I like the sound on the UE-900, which seems to be the common conclusion.  

My favorite setup was my Anedio D1 paired with my Sennheiser HD-650s, but obviously this isn't a portable solution.  However I did like the sound characteristics of this the best.  Deep lows, spacious, etc. etc.  If there was a way to get a sound close to this with some custom IEMs I'd instantly buy them but I suspect this kind of sound can only come from non-portable setups otherwise everyone would just buy a set of CIEMs and be done with it.

I guess the kind of sound I'm looking for should be fairly neutral but not so neutral that they sound flat and anemic.  I like a bit of bass kick, as long as it doesn't sacrifice/muffle the mids/highs.  In short, I'm trying to decide between the UE-11, vs the UERM, and the JH-13 vs the JH-16.  I'd prefer to keep the price below $1500 but am willing to spend a bit more if something is significantly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back