First Custom IEM (Musician) - ES3, UE10, UE11...?
Dec 14, 2008 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

devbro

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
First post here and after several hours of reading I can tell this is the place to get the answers I need before I take the plunge.

I'm a regular giging guitar player/singer in a 10 piece corporate band playing everything from dinner jazz to full gain rock. I recently purchased some entry level non-custom IEM's from Shure and realized very quickly I need something better. Our lead singer has the UE11 Pro's and swears by them.

Cost is really not a factor but I cant afford to do this twice. They need to be comfortable and isolate well. I understand the Westone ES3 has a mid hump and that might be a really good thing but I'm not sure how much we're talking about. Unless there's a better one I should be considering, I'm on the fence between the following and need a push. Which one and why?

- ES3
- UE10
- UE11

Thanks

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 7
I love how the ue-11 sound.I would defently contact westone about the es3 and see how much a bump they have.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 7
The Westone ES3 is primarily designed for vocalists and has a seriously bumped-up mid-range. Since you are a guitarist as well, why not try the ES2? Although I cannot vouch for the UE-10 or UE-11, I can state that the ES2 is superb for music listening and are very enjoyable. They share the same drivers as the UM2 but sound very different. Imagine a UM2 with tighter bass, almost Etymotic-like detail and speed, and with a more extended treble. Very fun and engaging sounding. Never had a fit problem with Westone like I've seen reported by so many who go the UE route. I've purchased the ES2's and also the UM56 custom tips and didn't need a refit for either one.

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 7
All are comfortable. One thing to mention, UE use hard mold and Westone use hard mold at the outer part, soft mold at the inner part.

Guitar player/vocalist surely suits well for using ES3 because of the mid range pump. Very enjoyable and useful when performing.

Dec 14, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by williamchc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All are comfortable. One thing to mention, UE use hard mold and Westone use hard mold at the outer part, soft mold at the inner part.

Guitar player/vocalist surely suits well for using ES3 because of the mid range pump. Very enjoyable and useful when performing.

Sounds like the Westone might be more comfortable based on the soft inner mold. Too bad Westone doesnt have MP3 sample files on their website to compare the ES2 to ES3. Thanks.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back