First CMOY: Static when connected to computer
Nov 20, 2008 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Malanga

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

Well, I mad by first CMOY amp and am am quite pleased with the quality of the sound. I do have one issue though, and that is static when connected to my computer. I hear a low level static, popping and what sound like whistles when plugged into my computer, yet when connected to an MP3 player it is dead silent. I am assuming this is an issue with the computer then? If so, are there any ways to reduce or eliminate this? I suppose I could just get use to it, but if there is a reasonable fix please let me know. Thanks!

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 9
It's quite possible that it's the computer making these sounds, and the higher fidelity of the new amp is allowing you to hear them. If that's the case, the easiest solution is to add a USB DAC to the computer. This gets the sound reproduction outside the RF bath inside the computer, and being an add-on device, it generally will perform better than the average cheap sound outputs on most PCs. There's a huge range of costs and capabilities in this world, anything from simple little "problem solvers" by M Audio and such, up to beasts like the Benchmark DAC-1 Pre.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 9
I think you are right about the noise tangent. It only occurs when plugged into the computer, not an mp3 player or battery-operated cd player. Where might I find such a USB DAC?
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Almost any decent computer store will have such things, and many audiophile stores will have the better sort. There's a whole forum here at Head-Fi about computer sound reproduction, which goes into devices like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back