First build(european)
Jun 25, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 53
The Alien DAC is steps below the B22. The B22 deserves a better source. I would recomend a better dac such as the offerings from twistedpearaudio.com. The OPUS, the COD and now the BUFFALO are all good choices are there are certainly many other dac's around.

But even with experience in audio I would recomend building an ALIEN + CK2III first. It will be cheaper, easier to troubleshoot and you can always resell it if you still want to upgrade.

My 0.02€

Manuel

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 53
I don't think it's been said yet, so keep in mind that the B22 is very expensive to build. To go all the way with it (and isn't that the point?) gets you well above $1000.
A better DAC and cheaper amp would be a much better use of the money imo.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's been said yet, so keep in mind that the B22 is very expensive to build. To go all the way with it (and isn't that the point?) gets you well above $1000.
A better DAC and cheaper amp would be a much better use of the money imo.

hmm... well if i order via glassjaraudio... it would cost me about 800dollars in total... but well thats also money ;P but ive taken a look at the CK²III also a quite nice amp... but i have 1 qustion if i where to upgrade the DAC(which must have USB) what other possibilities would there be ? and im still got the hots for the b22 :p but as you said might be better to get a better dac...

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellesøe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm... well if i order via glassjaraudio... it would cost me about 800dollars in total... but well thats also money ;P but ive taken a look at the CK²III also a quite nice amp... but i have 1 qustion if i where to upgrade the DAC(which must have USB) what other possibilities would there be ? and im still got the hots for the b22 :p but as you said might be better to get a better dac...

Well, the obvious one is the Twisted Pear USB board ( when they come back in stock
smily_headphones1.gif
).

It is a USB dac in it's own right, so would be a good starting point.

You could then expand on that later when you have a better idea just what you want.

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the obvious one is the Twisted Pear USB board ( when they come back in stock
smily_headphones1.gif
).

It is a USB dac in it's own right, so would be a good starting point.

You could then expand on that later when you have a better idea just what you want.

might be a good idea :p do you have any clue when they'll get back in stock(and will it be at glassjar ?)

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

might be a good idea :p do you have any clue when they'll get back in stock(and will it be at glassjar ?)

No, I don't. But I think their latest board order should be about due, from what I can gather,
so once Brian catches up, it shouldn't be too long. Brian will very likely post an update to one
of the relevant threads when they have more info. Remember, it's just a hobby to them, too.
We need to be patient.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

No, I don't. But I think their latest board order should be about due, from what I can gather,
so once Brian catches up, it shouldn't be too long. Brian will very likely post an update to one
of the relevant threads when they have more info. Remember, it's just a hobby to them, too.
We need to be patient.
biggrin.gif

hehe yeah :p but damn... it's expensive building the B22 with everything :p i think i need to look at some other alternatives to :p

got some already from the this thread
smily_headphones1.gif
so just need to make up my mind :p

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

.... got some already from the this thread
smily_headphones1.gif
so just need to make up my mind :p

Well, it's tempted me into building a MilletMax.

I want to see how it compares to the Beta22.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:19 AM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Well, it's tempted me into building a MilletMax.

I want to see how it compares to the Beta22.
smily_headphones1.gif

as far as i know if your talking the tube version of millet max, ive heard that it should sound "warmer" genereally ive come to that understanding that tube amps does that correct me if im wrong

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #26 of 53
Tube amps do usually sound "warmer" in that they accentuate the midrange.
They also have a strange addictive quality that shouldn't be overlooked. Some people attribute it to second order harmonics. Tube amps are often described as being less fatiguing.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

as far as i know if your talking the tube version of millet max, ive heard that it should sound "warmer" genereally ive come to that understanding that tube amps does that correct me if im wrong

I hope to find out, soon
smily_headphones1.gif

The MMax isn't your normal valve amp, though. It's a hybrid, with transistors or mosfets in the output stage.
Whether it still exhibits some of the same SQ remains to be seen. At least, by me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #28 of 53
yay i was right...

damn so hard to figure out what to build first... the B22(and everything that goes along) is just so tempting to build :p it's just going to get so darn exspensive if they put on VAC +25% in cost :S

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

yay i was right...

damn so hard to figure out what to build first... the B22(and everything that goes along) is just so tempting to build :p it's just going to get so darn exspensive if they put on VAC +25% in cost :S

Yes. The Beta22 can be very expensive to build.

I'm still not convinced it's worth it, either .......
confused.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #30 of 53
im very convinced
biggrin.gif
but my wallet isn't but might save up for a month or 2 more and then get it :p but i just got my akg k 701 in the door... dammit wait to monts more to build b22 with everything or... build ckkII hmm... life's full of dilemmas :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back