First (Brief) Listen: Shure E500
Jan 5, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #31 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobG
if we have can have woofers and tweeters, why not a mid-range? then we'd have 1 woofer, 1 mid-range, 1 tweeter
confused.gif

Balanced-armature drivers use passive crossover so that midrange is created inside the ear canal from both of these combined (tweeter + woofer).

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #32 of 120
Quote:

if we have can have woofers and tweeters, why not a mid-range? then we'd have 1 woofer, 1 mid-range, 1 tweeter
confused.gif

I believe Westone's ES3 does have this configuration.

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #33 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
Do we know if any other models are coming out at this show?

As for new Shures, e5 had bass but wasn't as deep as UE10s. So the real issue was the impendence was too high with e5. If you could get the specs on that on impendence. Also if there more detail in the treble the e5s. That was the real issue.

E500 is the only new IEM model from Shure at CES. The info on them does not list impedance. Don't know if other vendors have new IEMs. (I haven't been looking. I'm actually here to investigate a different class of product.)

Jan 5, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #34 of 120
Update from CES:
Got a chance for another brief listen to the E500's today, this time using my own source, an iRiver ifp-799 with my own MP3 VBRs loaded on it. The sound seemed better than what I had previously heard, but the trade show floor had so much background noise, including a live band nearby, that it was impossible to do critical listening. (The previous demo was in a much quieter room.)

By the way, the E500's I've tried had extremely short cords (about half a meter?), designed to work with the Push To Hear accessory to make a longer cord. It was unclear whether some E500's would have full length cords for use without the PTH. (I didn't actually test a PTH.)

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #35 of 120
Quote:

I believe Westone's ES3 does have this configuration.

That is correct. The ES3 is a low-mid-high configuration.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #36 of 120
I was very exited upon listening about these new triple driver universal fit IEM. Unlike custom mold IEMs, this new IEM will have resale value, which in my opinion is great, but from the descriptions it seems to me that soundwize it will not be that great for something that uses three drivers.

I hope shure is reading this because what we want is not huge muddy bass, and little detail ala BOSE. This is what the author of the thread described of their sound. I listened to the E5 at the digital life show and found them to have awesome bass, in amounts that were perfect. More bass than the E5 I think is a bad idea. If anything they should give it the midrange of the E4, a bass similar to the E5 but better as far as detail, texture, and depth, and highs similar to the E5s but with better extension. I hope they keep the shure's accurate timbre, and decay. Timbre and decay is what makes me prefer these over the etymotics.

SHURE LISTEN TO THIS, PLEASE

What we want
* Get a UE10 and make it sound similar balance-wize. (Haven't heard the UE10, but they are considered to be the most accurate phones of any kind), and if possible beat it soundwize. Now that would be awesome.
* If possible make it have a more 3d sound. As 3d a sound as possible. Like a combination of E4 instrument separation, and E5 bigger sound which places the sounds a little bit further away.
* What else do we want? Oh yeah, also a free E500 for headfi members
icon10.gif

* It would be cool, if we guys could make a separation in the tubes like it is done with UE superfi pro. I have no clue, but many say that helps improve the sound. You guys at shure are the experts so if it does make a difference doing the tubes ala UEsuperfi pro makes a difference then that would be cool.

Good luck on that new product Shure.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #40 of 120
I am waiting for people to review this unit. If it is better than the custom molded ones like UE5c I may buy it. If it is to the level of UE10, and sensa, I'll definatelly buy it (even though I never listened to any custom molded IEM). I think there is a huge chance for this IEM to beat the UE5c (Even though as I said I have never heard the UE5c). With three drivers I think it can compete with the Sensas, and the higher end UE phones.

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #41 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears

By the way, the E500's I've tried had extremely short cords (about half a meter?), designed to work with the Push To Hear accessory to make a longer cord. It was unclear whether some E500's would have full length cords for use without the PTH. (I didn't actually test a PTH.)

The press releases are not uniform on this, but my reading of the Shure info, indicates that the E500's come bundled with the accessory. Maybe they will only come with the short cord.

Jan 6, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #42 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
I am waiting for people to review this unit. If it is better than the custom molded ones like UE5c I may buy it. If it is to the level of UE10, and sensa, I'll definatelly buy it (even though I never listened to any custom molded IEM). I think there is a huge chance for this IEM to beat the UE5c (Even though as I said I have never heard the UE5c). With three drivers I think it can compete with the Sensas, and the higher end UE phones.

It is not the sheer amount of drivers, in this case "three drivers", that solely decides about the sound the IEM's have, but a great deal of other features, isolation techniques, materials used and tweaks, etc. There already are custom IEM's composed of two drivers which sound much better than their triple-driver counterparts (and it is custom we're talking here). IMO it is better to listen to some custom IEM's before giving out such comments (even though you've mentioned you haven't heard any). Universal IEM's WILL NOT get close enough to the custom world. It is simply impossible. You can bet they won't sound better than UE-5C, not to mention Sensaphonics. It is good, though, that there is some progress (hopefully) in the realm of universal IEM's.

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #43 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by root
It is not the sheer amount of drivers, in this case "three drivers", that solely decides about the sound the IEM's have, but a great deal of other features, isolation techniques, materials used and tweaks, etc. There already are custom IEM's composed of two drivers which sound much better than their triple-driver counterparts (and it is custom we're talking here). IMO it is better to listen to some custom IEM's before giving out such comments (even though you've mentioned you haven't heard any). Universal IEM's WILL NOT get close enough to the custom world. It is simply impossible. You can bet they won't sound better than UE-5C, not to mention Sensaphonics. It is good, though, that there is some progress (hopefully) in the realm of universal IEM's.

LOL, no faith... I think it's possible for universal fit IEMs to compete with the current line of custom stuff. Remember, IEMs are still relatively young in the market. Given time I'm sure we'll see major advances in both custom and universal fit IEMs.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #44 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
LOL, no faith... I think it's possible for universal fit IEMs to compete with the current line of custom stuff. Remember, IEMs are still relatively young in the market. Given time I'm sure we'll see major advances in both custom and universal fit IEMs.

I am of the same mind on just one aspect. Both technologies will augment their strengths in time even more but there is no way universal IEM's catch up the custom ones (just the very fact that they are customized says a lot). It will never be the same league when we are talking about pure sound quality.

Jan 6, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #45 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
I hope shure is reading this because what we want is not huge muddy bass, and little detail ala BOSE. This is what the author of the thread described of their sound.

Just to clarify things a little, my original post on the E500's did NOT imply that they have muddy bass. The bass was plentiful, deep, and well articulated. In fact, I have no problem whatsoever with the bass that I heard in my brief listening sessions with these. The potential issues that I described after my initial listen were with distortions in the mid and upper range, NOT with the bass, and as I mentioned in the original post, those issues may have been due to the demo player and tunes. After my later listening session, using my own source player and tunes, I am now convinced that at least part of the problem I initially heard was due to the demo player and tunes, not the E500 phones. However, as I mentioned in another post, the background noise at that time was too high for a really critical evaluation.

I have heard several models of Bose speakers, all of which sounded like total crap. They are not even in the same league with what I heard from the E500s, so equating them with each other is a mis-characterization. Sorry if I gave that impression, but that was not my intention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back