Feb 20, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i think that is a great suggestion!

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
I personally would start with Highway 61 Revisited - sorry Aman this one isn't overrated at all - it every bit deserves its classic status,

It sounds astounding to me.

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #17 of 29
To me, Highway 61 Revisited ranks probably 4th or 5th on my list of favorite Bob Dylan albums. I never said it was bad - but it just isn't as strong as Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, or The Freewheelin', to me.

I have a much bigger problem with "Like a Rolling Stone", however. The instrumental side of the song has that style to it that is played deafeningly loud and amateurishly. Bob's vocals were not nearly as strong as they used to be, nor as strong as they were going to be, and, personally, I've heard better lyrics from him before. MUCH better. The tone in his vocals seem to be over the top, since the style he uses does not necessarily match the lyrical voice he implements. It feels out of place to me, backwards, and a little chaotic. Where Blood on the Track succeeds at perfectly showcasing the angst in the lyrics through masterful vocals and masterful instrumental work, "Like a Rolling Stone" seems to be the exact opposite.

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #18 of 29
Really there is a small subset of classic Dylan albums, nearly all of which have now been mentioned. How you rate them now comes down to different weightings of factors you are looking for, individual taste etc etc. I would say if you want to hear why the rock world turned around and listened in the first place go for Highway 61. If you are of a wilder more experimental bent then go for Blonde on Blonde - its the equal of Highway 61 in every respect. If you want a safer more accessible sound, with stellar songwriting still on display (the musicianship is in my eyes no better than the 2 earlier albums), then Blood on the Tracks is out there, but you may miss some of the point of what made Dylan important. If you like it folkier and rawer then The Freewheeling is for you. None of these albums is bad - on the contrary all of them have more than earned the esteem they are held in.

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #19 of 29
These are the Dylan albums on my iPod:
The Freewheelin'
Blonde on Blonde
Blood on the Tracks
Time out of mind
Love and Theft

I consider those a representative sample of His whole career.

Let me remind you all the tracklist of Blonde on Blonde, however:
Rainy Day Women No:s 12 & 35
Pledging my time
Visions of Johanna
One of us must know
I want you
Stuck inside of mobile with the Memphis Blues again
Leopard-skin-pill-box-hat
Just like a woman
Most lilely you go your way and I'll go mine
Temporary like Achilles
Absolutely sweet Marie
4th time around
Obviously 5 believers
Sad eyed lady of the Lowlands

With this tracklist and the fact that this particular album was playing when the police raided Keith Richards' mansion Redlands, I rest my case.

For me, it's the quintessential Dylan record, and a quintessential record among all records...

Feb 20, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
The tone in his vocals seem to be over the top, since the style he uses does not necessarily match the lyrical voice he implements. It feels out of place to me, backwards, and a little chaotic.

I just can't agree professor.

"Because something is happening here, but you don't know what it is, Do you, Mister Jones?"
icon10.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I just can't agree professor.

"Because something is happening here, but you don't know what it is, Do you, Mister Jones?"
icon10.gif

Ill agree with that quote. If you dont get Rolling STone, the problem is with you, and not the song. Maybe something about its popularity rankles you, but there is no doubting that it is one of, is not THE, most important popular song ever recorded. Its what dreams are made of.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #22 of 29
I would advise you to get "Blood On The Tracks," "Desire," ["Isis" is my favorite Bob Dylan song...] and "Time Out Of Mind" all at the same time. [...or in that order] "Blonde On Blonde" is the classic Dylan opus. Personally, I had to get into Dylan's newer stuff before I truly began to appreciate the older stuff. Just a thought all of you hardcore Dylan fans, just a thought...
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I have a much bigger problem with "Like a Rolling Stone", however. The instrumental side of the song has that style to it that is played deafeningly loud and amateurishly. Bob's vocals were not nearly as strong as they used to be, nor as strong as they were going to be, and, personally, I've heard better lyrics from him before. MUCH better. The tone in his vocals seem to be over the top, since the style he uses does not necessarily match the lyrical voice he implements. It feels out of place to me, backwards, and a little chaotic. Where Blood on the Track succeeds at perfectly showcasing the angst in the lyrics through masterful vocals and masterful instrumental work, "Like a Rolling Stone" seems to be the exact opposite.

I couldn't agree more with this entire post. I always thought he was singing "Because he had to" on "Like a Rolling Stone." I like the lyrics...he just sounds a little like he doesn't feel like singing it but he's putting that fake emotion into it.

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #24 of 29
Highway 61 Revisted (not overrated one bit - it was revolutionary)
Blonde on Blonde
Bringing it All Back Home
Another Side of Bob Dylan

Any of those would be a great initial intro disc.

Feb 20, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #25 of 29
I prefer Another Side of Bob Dylan to Freewheeling as well - but there's nothing in it really, both are so good. The thing I am wondering about is why Highway 61 Revisited and Bringing It All Back Home are not being mentioned as much as Blonde on Blonde - they are both as good as Blonde, and in some ways more enjoyable, as they are less obviously straining for effect. The 3 of them really form the central rock trilogy for 60s Dylan, before his veering off into the excellent country tinged John Wesley Harding and almost as good Nashville Skyline. Any of them are essential.

After that the going gets more patchy - Blood on the Tracks, Basement Tapes and maybe Desire if you overlook its sloppy playing are all up to scratch, but then its not until this millennium you need to even take notice again with Time Out of Mind.

Feb 20, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #26 of 29
I guess I'm the first to recomend his self titled album.

I don't think there's anything better than hardcore folk Bob.

Feb 20, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unearthed
I couldn't agree more with this entire post. I always thought he was singing "Because he had to" on "Like a Rolling Stone." I like the lyrics...he just sounds a little like he doesn't feel like singing it but he's putting that fake emotion into it.

This is getting very strange. Fake emotion! This is akin to sacrilege to me
eek.gif
. What are you boys (or maybe girls) on? Bob was certainly on something himself - faking it was not an option, I think.

Bob albums to start with - probably Blood on the Tracks, or maybe Highway 61, Desire, Time Out of Mind.

New Morning hasn't had many mentions but is very accessible, some really nice songs on that. Bob happy, for a while, in Woodstock with his family.

Chronicles is a good read as well. The Scorsese documentary is great. Another one to look out for is the Live '66 one (The Bootleg Series, Vol. 4: Bob Dylan Live, 1966: The Royal Albert Hall Concert). Probably the best live album ever (discuss).

Really hope you get into Dylan,

Ian

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #29 of 29
blonde on blonde

i like blood on the tracks just as much (maybe even more), but for a newbie blonde on blonde is probably better. definately get blood on the tracks when you come back for more
biggrin.gif
. the stories are incredible....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back