First Beck CD, Guero - What others?
Oct 11, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #16 of 24
A friend just stopped by and gave me Mutations and Mellow Gold. Guess I'll get my fill of Beck over the next few days.
icon10.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 24
the mixing and engineering on sea change is fantastic. i have the SACD. one of the best recordings i own, very good on headphones. i wish more pop/rock albums were recorded and mixed so well. i like the songs too, although expect the album to be a bit melancholy.

Oct 11, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast
the mixing and engineering on sea change is fantastic. i have the SACD. one of the best recordings i own, very good on headphones. i wish more pop/rock albums were recorded and mixed so well. i like the songs too, although expect the album to be a bit melancholy.

agreed. someone told me it was done by the same guy who does radiohead's stuff. Is that true? I can definitely hear the similarities....

Oct 12, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast

i have the DVD-A version, and i agree that it sounds amazing.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #20 of 24
I'd say go for Odelay which is somewhat unfair, because its the only other one I'm that familiar with. I'll have to check out Midnight Vultures from the praise you guys have given it.

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #21 of 24
I say this with some reservation since I've only listened to these CD's a couple times through. But so far here's my list of most enjoyable to least.

Guero -> Mutations -> Mellow Gold

gratefulshrink is dead on with his comment about Mutations, "Mutations has kind of got a country/folk-rock feel" which is a nice twist.

While a few cuts are catchy like "Loser", "Beercan" and "BlackHole", Mellow Gold as a whole is maybe just a little to strange
confused.gif

Anyway good stuff!

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #22 of 24
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP

My only encounter with beck is that song from Odelay... you know, "I'm a loser baby, so why don't ya kill me..." or whatever. I liked that song, but not enough at the time to buy the album.

Fast forward several years to now. My job has been playing his newest album 'Guerolito'... just a remixed version of 'Guero'.

I LOVE it! Loved it so much, I searched for 'beck' and found this thread.

I'm totally going to pick up some more now. Probably go with Guero first so I can compare it to this album. I'll get the others mentioned in this thread. This was my first CD purchase in a loooong time... I'm not dissapointed! I just love his voice!

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
I too can vouch for the Sea Change DVD-A. That discs makes sounds I never thought I would hear over my system. Has some nice song writing too.

Nice, I wonder if I bought it if I could rip it too lossless flac or something. Never bought a DVD-A disk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back